Why own Klipschorns? Here's why I do

Parrot

John,

Klipschorns present the image of the original soundstage in front of you. ie: a Jazz quintet; the piano is to the left of center 15' form the edge of the stage at an oblique angle to the audience with the pianist at the left; the guitarist is in the alcove formed by the sweep of the piano' lines; the bassist is rear center a few feet behind and right of the end of the piano; the drummer is across from the guitarist with the cymbals toward the center and the bass drum slightly angled right; the sax player is front and slightly right of center moving closer and farther from the mike for effect; the guest trumpet player is at the left shoulder of the pianist closer to the stage edge. You are there, sitting front center at the foot of the raised stage,it is "live".

That is the imaging that Klipschorns produce, not audiopile "timpani in space fifty feet behind the muted midrange and outside the walls of the left of the room".

I prefer the Klipschorns3.gif

Rick

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr Lamborghini actually made fantastic tractors at the time. They were the most loved and admired in Italy. Mr Ferrari made cars and failed at making tractors. So in Mr. Ferraris words he against failing to beat Mr. Lamborghini said, "He makes good Tractors, but could never make a powerful succesful automobile." This so infuriated mr Lamborghini the battle started and now we have two supercar manufactuers.

(This story may be slightly off, but that is the legend. Also remember in the early days Tractors were also far more important and needed than cars. Autos never had the status they have today. As a car company while I admire Lamborghini, the winner in this one is STILL Ferrari. Worldwide sales, recognition, different models.)

And, so I can also say it, I have ridden in many of BOTH cars too.. Not mine, but friends

----------------

On 6/23/2004 9:12:48 AM TBrennan wrote:

Dean---The American Film Institute. www.afi.com

One can argue endlessly about their lists and rankings; top 100 movies and so forth.

----------------

You can bet "The Alamo" is never going to make the list.

Klipschorns do image well, just not very well for there price range. They are very old technology, and were designed to be used with tubes. They are great speakers, however, they are not worth fighting about, unless someone steals them, GET A LIFE.

They WERE NOT specifically designed for tubes!!

Sheesh! that's just what amplification was available at the time (1946)... so let's not be stupid about it.

PWK is reported to have owned and used SS gear during the 70's. Why do you think that he would do that if the Khorn was "designed for tubes"?

DM

radiob----Old technology?

Many would argue that loudspeakers were perfected in the 1930s and 40s and that advances in technology since have been not in making the best speakers better but in making the lousy speakers better.

No doubt that cheap, small speakers today are much better than those of years ago. But I still ain't heard a better woofer than the old Altec 515 which goes back to the 1940s or a better mid driver than the 288 which goes back to the 1930s. (Sorry Parrot but I call 'em as I see 'em)

Not to mention the crazy cult of hornys who prefer RCA and WE field-coil drivers from the 30s and 40s. 2.gif

You know, I'd love to hear those RCA horn systems in the Klipsch museum fired-up. They have compression drivers as big as your head. One of the RCAs in Hope is a prime example of a Shearer Horn system.

Paul---The new Alamo picture is a fairly accurate account, far more accurate than any previous picture.

I think modern audiences just don't go for such things, you know, the picture simply isn't bombastic and foolish enough for modern action film fans. History is usually a hard sell at the box-office anyway.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 10:49:06 AM TBrennan wrote:

Paul---The new Alamo picture is a fairly accurate account, far more accurate than any previous picture.

I think modern audiences just don't go for such things, you know, the picture simply isn't bombastic and foolish enough for modern action film fans. History is usually a hard sell at the box-office anyway.

----------------

As is truth.

Hey, who's planning to see Fahrenheit 911 when it comes out on Friday? I hear violins...

Actually, they weren't designed for tubes, they were designed with tubes (driving them) -- since that's just what happened to be available at the time. Naturally, we are talking the late 40's and early 50's here. So, while originally voiced using tube gear, later renditions were voiced using solid state.

Does anyone here differentiate between soundstaging and imaging -- or are they the same thing to you? What personally blew me away when hearing Klipschorns set up right the first time was the "wall of sound", the quality of being immersed in the music, and sensing the whole room load up with sound. I had only ever experienced that before with live events, and it made me realize how idiotic most audiophile descriptions are.

Tom -- on that note I will have to see it. I enjoy watching 'western' movies and am a huge history buff. I about became obsessed with DeadWood on HBO. It should entertain anyone and is claimed to be historically accurate; it, of course, has nothing to do with the Alamo.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 11:03:32 AM AK-4 wrote:

Hi Fini,

I'm going to watch it as entertainment only. I'm sure it's going to have more fiction in it that Bowling for Colubine.

----------------

Great, Dean! I always felt it's better to experience things with a closed mind. A word of caution, though: Do not eat the popcorn! I hear the good folks at "Move America Forward" might be secretly adding rat poison...

----------------

On 6/23/2004 10:18:45 AM radiob wrote:

Klipschorns do image well, just not very well for there price range. They are very old technology, and were designed to be used with tubes.

----------------

Anytime you would like to test that idea you can come sit in this 18 x 20 and see for yourself what 380wpc up front plus another pair of khorns behind these ones as rear running under 200wpc of high current quality ss amplification can do as far as spl levels and clarity , my local hi-fi dealer that switched from klipsch to JM-LABS always tells his customers about this crazy *** bastard with a rig that can blow your head apart .

I'm that crazy bastard !!

Whisper quite or 130db , take your pick and bring whatever type of music you desire .

I have tubes as well ! so i'm not a diehard SS guy or a tube head but more a audio freak .

DALE33.jpg

post-10527-1381925609956_thumb.jpg

Anarchist----Yeah, I love Westerns too.

My favorites, today anyway.

The Searchers

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Red River

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Rio Bravo

The Long Riders

The Unforgiven (Burt Lancaster, Lillian Gish, directed by Huston-- "You can't kill me, the God of Vengeance will blind your eye. Death for death and blood for blood!)

Winchester 73

Tombstone

My Darling Clementine

Rio Grande

Open Range (really)

El Dorado

Geronimo (Walter Hill, with Wes Studi)

Stagecoach

The Westerns I most detest are Shane, Silverado and and High Noon.

• Moderators

Sorry, a rule is a rule. If the childish tactics continue, people will be banned. It's pretty simple.

I realize some of you have problems with each other, and I have received numerous emails requesting me to ban this person or that person... Personal conflicts do not motivate me to ban people. Blantent disregard for my simple and few requests, however, does.