TUBES?

radiob

Ok, finally done it, after years of diferent k-horns and chorus2s, I have always used good solid state amps. After buying my current set of chorus2s I started coming to this forum. The talk hear is tubes and klipcsh. 15 years ago,when I had my first k-horn, I purchased 2 adcom gfa555 amps, bridged em mono and let em crank. A fellow audiophile told me "Rob Klipsch are buit for tubes" what did he know? 12 watts hugh? he dont know nothin. Well he and all of you are right. I just took delivery last week of a Dared v16 12 watt tube amp.I wentas cheap as I could to see if it would be worth it I cannot beleive what I am hearing. I also took advise from fellow forum members and replaced the tubes wit nos red base 6sl7 and 6v6 jj telsas. Ok to the point, what I would like is your opinion of what is the best tube pre and tube amp to use. What type of tubes are the best to go with for my speakers. I know there are alot of mixed opinions out there, but I am ready to buy some real gear. I dont need a whole lot of power, just the right tubes. I would like to have a little more base than what the dared has and more of that spacious transparent sound. I have heard of moondogs, 300b or what?, I would like to keep below 2000$ thanks to all of you for helping me find the beauty of tube amplification.Oh yea also shoul I get a set or p.p.? I am ready for sweetness.9.gif

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At that price point, I personally don't believe there is much, if anything, that can touch what I'm using right now.

I'm using the QUAD II-forty monoblocks and the matching QC-24 linestage. The amps use the KT-88 output tube, are tube rectified, and output 40 wpc. They are cathode biased, which means they are basically plug and play. It is the best overall sounding setup I have had to date.

There is a trio out at Audiogon right now for $1900 plus shipping.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1093185798

I would recommend Opera Audio's Consonance M100Plus. It is an EL34 based integrated tube amp, has 3 inputs, and produces 40 watts per channel. It can be had for $1600 new.

http://www.operaudio.com/Html/Opera-Products-TUBEAMP-m100plus.htm

I have to admit, this is the best sounding amp I have owned and once I got some good NOS tubes in it, it only got better. I am just waiting on a pair of Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plates to come in and it will be complete.

Those EL34's are well known for giving you that lush, full midrange, smooth treble, and solid, deep bass, and you get all of that with this amp.

Yes, I know it is not seperates like you want, but is that a bad thing?! 4.gif

"I just took delivery last week of a Dared v16 12 watt tube amp.I wentas cheap as I could to see if it would be worth it I cannot beleive what I am hearing."

Then why change??!!

If it sounds so good already, then give it a chance to burn in. This is the same amp I was borrowing for a while from my brother until I got my amp. That little Dared is a great sounding amp, and has more than enough power for those Chorus II's of yours.

You're not wanting to upgrade just for status reasons or name sake, are you? You can always roll differnt tubes to get a slightly different sound out of that fine amp if you want. 10.gif

that was Khorns dude, and I was asking about minute differences in texture and taste, not incredible noticable differences, like SS or tubes, what is this amp, don't know it?10.gif oh yeah and please visit when you are near WPB

----------------

On 6/26/2004 7:23:45 PM DDE wrote:

The only thing the 6550 or Kt-88 is any good at is making a lot of power--they are without a doubt the most wrectched sounding audio tubes and are used in some HORRIBLE sounding amps--the Dynaco MK III, the McIntsoh MC275, the HK Citation, etc. Hideous one and all . . . .

----------------

I feel the beginning of another thread going down the tubes. (no pun intended)

14.gif

----------------

On 6/26/2004 4:32:13 PM AK-4 wrote:

At that price point, I personally don't believe there is much, if anything, that can touch what I'm using right now.

I'm using the QUAD II-forty monoblocks and the matching QC-24 linestage. The amps use the KT-88 output tube, are tube rectified, and output 40 wpc. They are cathode biased, which means they are basically plug and play. It is the best overall sounding setup I have had to date.

There is a trio out at Audiogon right now for $1900 plus shipping.

----------------

Dean,

How would you rate the Quad's against VRD's? Have you ever heard VRD's on Klipschorns?

Thanks!