TUBES?

radiob

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 6/26/2004 8:07:59 PM DDE wrote:

Real Quad II amps are fitted with KT-66 tubes. These are the best sounding tubes GEC ever made, just a hair better then the KT-77. I run KT-77 in my Marantz 5 amps but have owned original Quad AND Leak amps that use the KT-66 and it's a WONDERFUL tube. The KT-88, ESPECIALLY the junk that is produced today, is ineed HIDEOUS.
----------------

lol, oh i wonder whose alias this might be.

Both the 6550 and the KT88's that have heard have amazed me in their dynamics and particularly their low frequency performence. Similarly I have just started listening to intergrated and mono bloc SET's. I am still struggling with the idea that 3 to 5 watts can drive speakers so well. As long as it's tube, there's a flavour for everone. My favourite tube at the moment is the EL34, it's a good allrounder and very musical within it's limits.

Dean,

Do your quads take anything besides the KT88. I have no bias against the tube myself - haven't heard one - I just know in my Consonance I can swap the EL34 for a 6550 for a KT88 for a 'something else.' I wanted El34's so don't really care to swap but might get around to it if I can pick up a set cheap. Actually I think the VA 6550's have to be some of the best looking tubes I have seen. What? Looks don't matter? You say it is the sound! Uh, ok, I worry about that too.

Chops,

I was wondering about doing some swapping myself. Have the Rubies in there and the NOS Sylvania 6sn7's. Was thinking about plugging in some of my NOS Mullards (AX7s or 4004's) just to hear the difference between those and the EH AX7's in there. Hell that sounds like a plan for the remainder of the evening.

----------------

On 6/26/2004 8:07:59 PM DDE wrote:

Real Quad II amps are fitted with KT-66 tubes. These are the best sounding tubes GEC ever made, just a hair better then the KT-77. I run KT-77 in my Marantz 5 amps but have owned original Quad AND Leak amps that use the KT-66 and it's a WONDERFUL tube. The KT-88, ESPECIALLY the junk that is produced today, is ineed HIDEOUS.

----------------

I wonder if this nim-rod even knows that "KT77" is just another name for EL34. 11.gif

The K-77 'Gold Lion' is still an EL-34.

The 6550 Tung-Sols are over-rated in a big way. I've heard them, and they don't sound any better than a Chinese Ruby KT-88.

Have you considered increasing the dosage of your medication?

----------------

On 6/26/2004 11:52:30 PM DDE wrote:

The KT-77 is indeed a drop in replacement for the EL34, but to say it is only "another name" for the EL34 is false and shows that you are an idiot. The KT-77 is the same as a garden variety Mullard EL34 just as a KT-66 is the same as an RCA 6L6 or a KT-88 is the same as a Tung-Sol 6550. What a LAUGH! You are a MORON! The KT-77 was engineered and built my MOV (Marconi Osram Valve) and sold under the GEC brand name in the UK and the "Genelex" brand in the USA. Like our esteemed VP Dick Cheney says, "go f*ck yourself . . ."

----------------

No, you are wrong, MORON!

An EL34 and KT77 IS the same exact thing, also a 6CA7 is the same exact thing! KT77 is just the British version.

Just like a 12AX7 is the same as an ECC83 (European version), or a 5751 (US military version), or a 7025 (Industrial version)! Need I go on?!

I've only been using and reading about tube equipment for a little over a month now, and it is obvious I already know more than you. IDIOT!

Get your "false" facts straight! Nim-Rod! 14.gif

----------------

On 6/27/2004 1:15:08 AM AK-4 wrote:

I've always wondered about this -- what's "nim-rod"?

----------------

I really don't know, but I've always remembered my dad saying it all the time. Some things I just never forget. 3.gif

All I know, is whatever it is, it isn't nice! 9.gif

Excuse me, DDE, you are out of line, that was rude, for a child over 100, you should know better, for someone new to this polite forum, I should tell that you are out of line, we leave name calling back in the second grade, where it belongs, Chops you are no better, dont you jeklrs realize this is a public forum? You are addressing a crowd of fellow audiophiles. Stand up and talk out like men or get the duck outta here. 7.gif

----------------

On 6/26/2004 11:52:30 PM DDE wrote:

The KT-77 is indeed a drop in replacement for the EL34, but to say it is only "another name" for the EL34 is false and shows that you are an idiot. The KT-77 is the same as a garden variety Mullard EL34 just as a KT-66 is the same as an RCA 6L6 or a KT-88 is the same as a Tung-Sol 6550. What a LAUGH! You are a MORON! The KT-77 was engineered and built my MOV (Marconi Osram Valve) and sold under the GEC brand name in the UK and the "Genelex" brand in the USA. Like our esteemed VP Dick Cheney says, "go f*ck yourself . . ." ----------------

Thanks for your "opinions" on this Kelly aka tubinhard. Much appreciated as always. 2.gif

An EL34 and KT77 IS the same exact thing, also a 6CA7 is the same exact thing! KT77 is just the British version.

Just like a 12AX7 is the same as an ECC83 (European version), or a 5751 (US military version), or a 7025 (Industrial version)! Need I go on?!

Yes Chops, please do. It is very enlightening to a tube newbie, to know which tubes are British, military or for any other reason each other counterparts. Thanks, Tim.