Shame on you!

----------------

On 6/27/2004 7:53:50 PM paulparrot wrote:

I think Trey put it very well a couple of days ago.

"THIS IS OUR FORUM, IF YOU DON’T WANT TO PLAY BALL WITH US, TAKE YOUR BALL AND GO HOME."

----------------

Yeah, but if we go, nobody with balls will be left here...2.gif

----------------

On 6/27/2004 9:57:43 AM gullahisland wrote:

Teach them that America is the greatest country in the history of man. Teach them that it is our responsibility to PROTECT our freedom. Teach them that there is a great COST of freedom...if we don't find some common ground (and FAST), we're ALL in jeopardy of losing our freedom to a bunch of radical Islamo-fascists who'd like nothing more than to kill (be-head) EVERY LAST ONE OF US - From Michael Savage to Michael Moore...and everyone inbetween. That's you and me.

----------------

Great sentiments.... Hey, I'm not political, I just want to be able to listen to what I like, buy wonderful Klipsch speakers when I like, see what movies I like, and respect the rights of others who wish bag Klipsch...even if I don't agree..... By the way, thanks for what you guy's are doing overseas.....

"Bringing a 12-year-old to this movie (F-9/11) is simply WRONG!"

What you want to hide the truth! 6.gif Stop hiding your head in the sand,it's not the best cure.

The movie should be nominated for at least 10 Oscars! 1.gif

Not bringing a 12 year old to this documentary is just another form of trying to control what they see and hear. If they don't learn what's going on from one source, they'll surely learn from another. Whether that be picking it up from hallway banter between two teachers, or eavesdriopping between parents at the dining table, or even sharing what little bits of knowledge they know with their peers in the playground, they'll piece things together, no doubt. What's important is that people of all ages be exposed to both sides of the issue, and can thus make an opinion for themselves based on their own feelings.

Hmmm... I just discovered this thread; surprised to find that my decision-making as a parent is the main topic.

I'll keep this short, since I don't expect this to be here when I get home from work later today; also, because I do not have to answer to anyone about how I raise my own child (to whom I read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy - twice - when she was six years old):

Most children, up to a certain age, are going to (by osmosis) share their parents political ideology, whether it is subtle or more distinct. To my wife's and my own sensibilities, this administration's policies and core ideologies are the anti-thesis of what our perception of how life should be.

I'm sure if I was worth a couple billion, and if my associates were deep in finance, oil, and\or the military-industrial complex, and if my own decision-making was based on keeping us at the top of the heap, then I would agree with the current power structure.

I did not seek this film out to indoctrinate myself or my family. I did not disagree with, nor was I surprised about, anything I saw in the film in question. We saw it because we enjoy the way Michael Moore puts our ideas in a certain context, and the entertaining way with which he presents those arguments. My daughter laughed as much as I did at the appropriately funny material.

I personally found the subject and presentation of the Passion of the Christ to be offensive, and would not take my daughter to see 2 hours of a human being brutally tortured, then being made to feel guitly about it. Those people who did take their children certainly had the right to do so; I will not say "shame on you", because it's your choice. Most parents are going to create an offspring that thinks the same way they do, up to the time when the child begins to make their own decisions. I developed my own ideologies after I left the intellectually suppressive nature of my own upbringing ("my country right or wrong" was literally one of the things I was taught, along with "God said it, I believe it, and that settles it").

My parents thought a certain way, and had the right to teach me what they considered to be their core values: I took away from that an aversion to drugs and alcohol (never did any of either one), the notion of abiding by the laws that make civilization possible (no stealing, lying, killing), and do not blame them for that.

On the other hand, while being told that "Jesus loves the little children, red and yellow, black and white", I guess when they grow up, it all changes; because the males in my family refer to "darkies", "towel-heads", and other epithets which I will not repeat here.

I was further told that the world was going to end in my lifetime (Jesus coming back and all that), and it was going to get really terrible for Us before the end; I was told that Jimmy Carter was the anti-christ; I was basically not given any hope or ambition for success because of all of that. Fortunately, these ideas did not stay with me.

I, on the other hand, tell my child that all life is precious; that every human is unique in Cosmos, and deserves a chance to be everything they can be; that if you find yourself in a situation where you must harm someone else to protect your own life, then that is perfectly acceptable and is part of your human nature of survival. I tell her that she has the ability to become whatever she wants to be, given enough hard work, and if her own natural abilities support it. I tell her that it's ok to have wealth, and people who are born into it are lucky, but should not look down on others who are less fortunate.

I do not apologize if my own ideas are at odds with some of the members of this forum (and you know who you are).

Shame on me? I certainly don't feel any for myself, except for the time I've wasted in answering these silly accusations...

Chuckears----You put me in mind of one of the questions asked on the psychological test we had to take to work in nuclear power houses.

The question was "Did you ever steal". A no-win question. If you answer yes they know you're a thief, if you answer no they know you're a liar.2.gif

Speakin' of Krispy Kreme donuts, how in the Hell can anyone stand to eat those damned things? One must have grown-up in a severly bakery deprived area to enjoy those hollow, bodyless sugar-bombs. Christ, the damned things use so much sugar they make my teeth ache.

Thank God I grew up with access to good Polish, Bohemian and Swedish bakeries. A person simply can't like Krispy Kreme and be hep, sorry, it's just one of those defining things, the Anti-Cool, like Lawrence Welk was.2.gif

Heil Moore!

Leni Riefenstahl would be proud.

206.gif

I know, let's completely alter the truth, sling sh*t hoping something will stick, and make fun of the President at his expense for two hours and call it a powerful documentary.

Move along little sheep, move along.