Who exactly is offended.....

Hmmm. Maybe I am offended now. Nah.

Political (or any) discourse is not meant to provide advice. It is meant to provide 'other' opinions and viewpoints.

OTOH, if you are not willing to accept advice from anyone, despite their qualifications with which you are not concerned, then you fail to take advantage of experience or knowledge which could benefit you.

Of course, your failure to gain or lose based on your decisions doesn't affect me one bit. Therefore, I have no advice to give nor should you solicit any. So there... 16.gif

----------------

On 6/27/2004 1:31:30 PM Cleve wrote:

My take on this - This forum is part of Klipsch's marketing effort - ie, they see this forum as a way to sell more product and gain feedback from users of their product.

However, if the community becomes politicized, and if a certain viewpoint (Conservative, Liberal, Right-wing, Left-wing, et al) is seen to dominate, or the majority seem to espouse one particular philosophy, it will polarize debate. More importantly, it's possible that new Klipsch customers might be offended by what's written here, and subconsciously align Klipsch with whatever viewpoint(s) are found here.

That could hurt sales. Why would Klipsch take that chance? They've everything to lose, and nothing to gain. After all, there's a bazillion forums/news groups for political debate. I see it as perfectly within their rights to focus the group via moderation, on AUDIO.

----------------

If you get upset over the moderation, just go back and read this post. If you still don't understand, read it over and over until it sinks in.

----------------

On 6/27/2004 9:00:54 PM rckpls wrote:

----------------

On 6/27/2004 1:31:30 PM Cleve wrote:

My take on this - This forum is part of Klipsch's marketing effort - ie, they see this forum as a way to sell more product and gain feedback from users of their product.

However, if the community becomes politicized, and if a certain viewpoint (Conservative, Liberal, Right-wing, Left-wing, et al) is seen to dominate, or the majority seem to espouse one particular philosophy, it will polarize debate. More importantly, it's possible that new Klipsch customers might be offended by what's written here, and subconsciously align Klipsch with whatever viewpoint(s) are found here.

That could hurt sales. Why would Klipsch take that chance? They've everything to lose, and nothing to gain. After all, there's a bazillion forums/news groups for political debate. I see it as perfectly within their rights to focus the group via moderation, on AUDIO.

----------------

If you get upset over the moderation, just go back and read this post. If you still don't understand, read it over and over until it sinks in.

----------------

It's just hard for us "old timers" to adjust to these new rules. We're pinin' for the Fjords. Go back and read all my (4,000+) posts. If you still don't understand, read them over and over until it sinks in.

----------------

On 6/27/2004 7:52:25 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

Not to discourage new members here, but there have been entirely too many posts by "newbies" who just know too damn much - who are too comfortable waltzing in with strong opinions. I suspect that many of these so called "newbies" aren't really "newbies" at all - just former forum members with new identities who have created so much bad will that thier reputation preceeds itself. If you are a true "newbie", please do not refrain from posting due to my suspicions, as you have as much a right to post here as I do.

----------------

I agree with what you say as a Newbie myself. A certain 'Newbie' has just started posting and has been very rude to established forum members. I like the way the rest of you guys are considerate and correct us when we are in error, and also are happy to share your knowledge. Thanks for that.

Edwin.

"It's just hard for us "old timers" to adjust to these new rules. We're pinin' for the Fjords. Go back and read all my (4,000+) posts. If you still don't understand, read them over and over until it sinks in."

Fini,

You ought to print them. Just make sure you use Scott because it will only take four rolls to fit them all on.6.gif6.gif9.gif

Rick

I met a dozen nice guys at preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas,. I would ask every single one of them their opinons and advice on advice in the political, religious, financial, ethical, romantic aspects of my life, or my career options. I treasure their wisdom and I consider myself NOT only worthy of their advice but also privileged to receive it.

16.gif

I'm not offended, but I sure have gotten tired of the childish antics that have gone on in this forum. I don't enjoy this forum as much as I used to, and hence I don't visit it or post as much as I have in the past. Maybe that's not such a bad thing for me personally, as maybe I should be spending more time away from this computer anyway. A few years ago I used to regulary proclaim that the Klipsch forum was the best on the entire Internet. It has definitely slipped since then, at least in my opinion.

----------------

On 6/28/2004 1:51:50 AM JMON wrote:

I'm not offended, but I sure have gotten tired of the childish antics that have gone on in this forum. I don't enjoy this forum as much as I used to, and hence I don't visit it or post as much as I have in the past. Maybe that's not such a bad thing for me personally, as maybe I should be spending more time away from this computer anyway. A few years ago I used to regulary proclaim that the Klipsch forum was the best on the entire Internet. It has definitely slipped since then, at least in my opinion.
----------------

Having lurked since supposely leaving for brief respite (I still get some very relevant listening and technical opinions here and decided that I would squash the interactive portion for a bit) this feels like a good place to come back. JMON summed up why I took a break - well said. I won't repeat (intentionally) all my reasons for the hiatus, but it was very helpful to be an univolved third party and start to get a feel for what bugged me most about the forum lately.

It is very interesting seeing which threads are sent to the thrash can and which aren't. I becomes clearer who complains most to the moderator's and you can begin to predict the end of a discussion not based on the the topic or tone of discourse, but based on the alternate opinion (vs. the complainers position). Therefore, if an alternative opinion isn't broached, some very similarly political threads survive and others don't. We seem to be in one of those tiresome times where a diverse opinion can be quashed just because it doesn't agree with your position and the rules don't have to be applied unilaterally. Unfortunately, these same attitudes were making their way into the technical discussions - shame on us.

THIS IS NOT A BASH OF THE MODERATORS!!! Never have nor intented to do so. Trey has been a great resource for Klipsch and us and friend Amy will be the same - she is just too new to many of us to have gained the experienced Kudos. This is a statement about us. Geesh - it really is OK to sometimes just say "Talk to the hand" and move on.

• Moderators

I'm still confused about the whining over "heavy handed" moderation and all these "new" rules.

I'll say it ONE MORE TIME. The rule I am simply beginning to enforce more consistently is no personal attacks/insults/flaming/offending, etc. Political threads are being closed by default--they inherently offend.

THAT'S IT!

If anyone else wants to COMPLAIN, send me a personal email. I'm sure 99% of our board members are growing tired of it.