Weekly Music Suggestions by Members-June 28

thebes

Maybe this will help liven up the place. Once a week I'll start a thread and members can post some of their favorites in various categories (jazz, classical, rock etc.) and by weeks end foks will have some thoughts over what music to buy with thier paychecks.

Guidelines are simple: Name of group/individual, name of disk, type of disk (cd,lp etc.), type of music (as best you can) and a quality recording.

The last ones not much of an obligation because almost everything ever recommendation on this site is very well recorded.

I'll start the ball rolling with:

Willie and Lobo's "Wild Heart". (CD)

This group falls either under World or New Wave depending on the record store you frequent. A sort of flamenco/jazz. I keep flogging them on the forum to massive lack of interest, but boy do they match up well with Klipsch!

Ok, now we need some classical gas, a little smokin blues, some grooving funk, some trippy rock, ah you get the idea.

The Dandy Warhols' "Welcome to the Monkey House" (CD)

I'm not really sure what kind of music its classified as. I'd call it a kind of Rock-funk but I'm not sure. I can send demo's via AIM if you like.

The cd has a very clean sound and sounds great. A lot of their tracks have good bass tunes and will give your sub a workout.

Leo Kottke: One Guitar No Vocals.

The title is self explanitory. This is Leo playing the guitar by his self. I would classify the style as sort of folky with elements of classicl and blues. If you haven't heard Leo play the guitar check this CD out! He is probably one of the most talented guitarists alive today.

Maynard

Thebes --- Nice Try!!!

I'm beginning to think that this is a cozy, active place for movies and DVD enthusiasts, and it might be a shame to move it. Kind of like companies whose telephone numbers are changed. Music seems to be the only castaway here.

At this point, I'd suggest that any visiting moderator leave the section as a whole unchanged, but consider moving it up to just beneath Home Audio. That way, it would be familiar and all that to regular users but might get more attention from Home Audio, Aragon, and Pro scrollers.

And, second, I'd suggest that music threads be posted in 2-channel, where they will get lots of attention. You were right -- here, they mostly die way too soon.

Larry

Larry, don't give up yet!

Excellent suggestion for the new positioning, if they don't want it in Home Audio moving it up where you suggest is a great idea.

As to this particular thread, I say "build it and they will come". Collectively we must have, oh say, 8 or 9 billion differemt tunes in our Member's combined record collections. I'm hoping after it runs a few weeks, more people will stop by. I'm also hoping that folks like yourself will maybe post a little note in the Forum area their best known in saying "hey drop down here and leave a suggestion or two".

Finally, I think the fine folks at Klipsch could have fun with this too. I'm sure they must have an inhouse electronic billboard and I'm also sure a lot of the folks at Klipsh listen to a variety of music. They could start a similiar thread on their inhouse board and post the suggestions from time to time. Not as "Klipsch Official Music Recommendations" but something like "Music Suggestions from the People Who Build Speakers" or even "by the Speakers, for the Speakers and of the Speakers". Might be fun for them.

----------------

On 7/2/2004 3:43:17 PM thebes wrote:

Larry, don't give up yet!

I say "build it and they will come". Collectively we must have, oh say, 8 or 9 billion differemt tunes in our Member's combined record collections. I'm hoping after it runs a few weeks, more people will stop by.

----------------

OK, OK, let me try this one: Today, GaryMD and I finished listening to the totally fabulous Reiner/Chicago Symphony recording of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade on RCA LSC-2446, a 200-gm reissue available through places like Acoustic Sounds. This classic performance of this fascinating work has won a great reputation among music lovers and audiophiles -- and well deserved, too! Reiner's interpretation and very careful balancing and shading is a thing of wonder, and the Chicago outdoes itself in the performance.

As always, Gary and I looked at the score page-by-page as we went through the piece, and we both marveled at Rimsky's many amazing and inspired orchestral touches. It's too bad that most cannot discover these easily, because, after all, who would ever own a score but a rare nutcase like me?

Thebes, if you ever get out Bethesda way, please look me up.

Larry

Well,I just picked up Jackson Brownes latest double cd,hits.I bought it for some of his classics and was surprised to hear several newer songs at the end that were really good songs and outstanding audio quality.

See Larry, that wasn't so bad was it. Bethesda's not very far away at all. Yeah, let's hook up, maybe even with Gary. Maybe even play a little Ludwig B. (kudos to Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange"-wished they'd remaster that soundtrack)

I've got a little Panasonic SS amp I'd like to bring by that might actually suprise you.

----------------

On 7/5/2004 8:43:38 AM thebes wrote:

See Larry, that wasn't so bad was it. Bethesda's not very far away at all. Yeah, let's hook up, maybe even with Gary. Maybe even play a little Ludwig B. (kudos to Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange"-wished they'd remaster that soundtrack)

I've got a little Panasonic SS amp I'd like to bring by that might actually suprise you.

----------------

Thebes,

There just wasn't any response to my post, which I kinda expected. I'll be posting something bigger in the next day or two that will include some of it, but I'm going to put it into into 2-channel, where classical usually gets pretty good discussion. Of course, no one may pay attention to it there, either!

Just let me know when a trip this way is convenient (I'm in the last stages of a leg cast, can't drive myself for another 2-3 weeks), and we can see when it's convenient for Gary to join in.

Most of my stuff is tightly packed into the upper shelves of a bookcase, except for the amps which are in another room near the speakers, so it depends on whether the Panasonic is a separate amp, which would be easy to plug in, or an integrated amp, which would be difficult to link to both sources and speakers. FYI, my amps are a tube OTL model, a rather transparent type of amp.

Thanks!

Larry