Black Klipschorns?

edwinr

Okay, lets get down to the nitty gritty. I have been planning to buy new Khorns in a oiled walnut - these will be my penultimate speakers. I will keep them forever.

Now a friend in the hi-fi business has just thrown a spanner in the works. He has just traded 1 pair of boxed Khorns and 1 pair of boxed Belles from a customer. He has offered them to me. BUT!!!! - they are BLACK. Shock, horror.... I haven't seen them yet, but I'm told they are only a few years old and in immaculate condition.

I don't like black veneer, and it doesn't fit into the decor. Khorn's are BIG. Yeah I know black is beautiful, but they WILL dominate my room.

My friend said I can have both Khorn's and Belles if I want.

But........ Could I refinish them??????

HELP!

14.gif14.gif14.gif

Edwinr,

My thoughts are that IF you can afford them, and like the looks-get em! If later on you decide your tired of the look, I think you'd be able to recup your money.

Also think of the savings and hassle you avoid by having to ship them.........

Also ask your friend -If you decide to trade them back in-approximately what you'd get for them, say towards a set of K Horns in the finish you like..........Just my oberservation............Good Luck!

Guess what. I was too slow. Both the black belle and khorn have been sold..... BUT... My hi-fi contact has just located a pair of oak Klipschorns which I'm told are in perfect condition. I have purchased them sight unseen. See new post Oak Klipschorns.

just a note -

"penultimate" means the one before the last one, or "next to last". The penultimate letter in the English alphabet is Y. If the KHorns were to be your penultimate speakers, you could just as well have gotten the black ones, as you would be planning on buying your ultimate speakers at some future point.

----------------

On 6/30/2004 6:48:29 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

just a note -

"penultimate" means the one before the last one, or "next to last". The penultimate letter in the English alphabet is Y. If the KHorns were to be your penultimate speakers, you could just as well have gotten the black ones, as you would be planning on buying your ultimate speakers at some future point.

----------------

Aha. So because I missed out on the black Khorns, I ended up buying a pair of 1980 walnut Khorns which I guess are my penultimate loudspeakers. I still intend to buy a new pair of walnut Klipschorns as soon as I have the dollars. Therefore by hook or by crook I got it right......I think.16.gif

----------------

On 7/4/2004 4:27:26 AM boomer9911 wrote:

black Khorns????? GAG..hope your getting them VERY cheap..what a waste..
10.gif

----------------

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Big black Khorns may suit some decors, but not mine.

Thanks Q-Man for the pictures. And you're right, black looks fantastic. Well there you go, no matter what colour I was fortunate to get, I would have been over the moon. I really like how the black compliments the wood coloured wall panels - had your Khorns been any other colour, they might not have worked as well with the decor.

Regards, Edwin.

actually to look at em, it looks good in black, I'm just thinking spending big bucks on something, why black???

I forgot what Q-Mans set up looked like in black and it's wild if you've seen the pics...10.gif

I hope you get the Khorns KB, thats a sweet price, especially 96(mine are 93)2.gif