Heritage Series

rmlowz

I am thinking about buying brand new Heresy II or La Scalas with grills without hearing them. I do not want to purchase older used heritage series. Do these speakers sound like any of the new referance line? I like the RF7 or the RB75 but want to buy some of the heritage speakers.

Thanks in advance for your reply1.gif

----------------

On 7/9/2004 10:09:17 AM rmlowz wrote:

I am thinking about buying brand new Heresy II or La Scalas with grills without hearing them. I do not want to purchase older used heritage series. Do these speakers sound like any of the new referance line? I like the RF7 or the RB75 but want to buy some of the heritage speakers.

Thanks in advance for your reply
1.gif

----------------

I have heard the RF-7's and I didn't like them at all. I don't think they are very crisp but the bass is very good. I think the heresys that I just sold have a much better sound although their bass is kind of boomy. I haven't heard the la scalas but if they sound like the belles then I would go with them. If you WERE ok with used heritage you could probably get a used pair of khorns for about 2 grand.

I hope you get a chance to do comparative listening. They are different enough in sound that you may find a preference rather easily.

The Heresy are a very flexible speaker - floorstanding, bookshelf or hanging all work. But they will not satisfy most folks ears on the lower frequence when compared with the Reference series (although folks like me will tell you they think the Higher freqs are clearer and more dynamic). The La Scalas will cover the spectrum quite nicely and would be an excellent speaker to compare the differences with the reference line.

Speaking of which - should we have a 'heritage audition' listing area - much like the folks at SVS do. This is a place where folks list their heritage equipment and location. They then offer open doors to those that want an audition.

I'll sign up - I do the same for SVS.

Yeah listen to them first I prefer the Heritage stuff I own both of your prospective choices. I do like the Reference line a lot but IMO it is second to the Heritage line. There is a distinct sound that is emitted by the fully horn loaded units that my ear senses as more dramatic, natural, seemingly effortless and fuller than any other line. But you may well feel you like the reference better you need to demo before you buy for sure.

About four years ago I was looking for a pair of speakers and went to Circuit City ( don't laugh) and almost bought a $500, pair from them, but by luck I waited and went to a furniture store that I remembered used to sell Klipsch spealkers years ago and found out that the store was closing and walked out of the store with a pair of Heresy II's for $700 in the box and once I found out about Klipsch and tube amps I have been in sonic heaven ever since. I would watch Ebay and buy a pair from someone close by, that would let you pick them up after you win the bid and let you see and hear them so you know that they are all that they say they are and they sound and work right, you won't be sorry.1.gif1.gif

You need to go and listen for yourself. And then figure out what will work for your listening area. I have had Heresy's for 20 years and have added a set of LaScala's. And i love them both and will keep them in the family for a long time. Please dont walk in and say i want a pair of these speakers just because someone else said that is what i need. You have to make the call for yourself. Good luck Bill

You are getting some good advice here to listen before you buy. The Reference line and Heritage line are significantly different in the way they sound. My preference is Heritage.

That said, determining your preference between Heresy and LaScala would be very well served by listening. There are probably some forum members in your vicinity who'd be more than happy to have you take a listen at their systems.

Also, you almost have to be in a room with LaScala's to appreciate the significance of the challenge in arranging a room to accomodate these big rascals.