Check this out!!!

radiob

Dean----I dunno, some Fostex stuff sounds good and some sounds hideous. Their tweeters are the best things I've heard from them. The full rangers really run the gamut from quite good to terrible. My opinion.

I think lots of Fostex fans are trying to do an Altec 755 or Lowther thing but on the cheap.

As for Oris horns, well I think they're underwhelming really. They lack the clarity and incisive sound of compresion drivers and horns IME. A good pal used Orises with a couple of diferent kinds of Supravox field-coil full-range drivers, supposedly much better drivers then Fostex; he ended-up taking the Orises off and giving them to Kurt Chang to play with. And they do sound better as direct-radiators (augmented by JBL 4648s on the bottom and Fostex horn tweets on top) than they did with the Orises (Orii?)

I think the full-range cones some guys are using with Oris horns aren't suited for horn-loading, you can't just take any old cone and match it to a horn. The Lowthers, with their super-powerful motors, seem to be the best cones for matching to mid horns. Years ago I heard Lowthers matched to huge DIY 150hz tractrix horns built up from layers of plywood, sounded pretty good.

I dunno, I just don't really dig this single-driver scene. Some stuff I've heard sounds good but then it always sounds better when the guy adds a tweeter and then later on a sub; next thing you know you've a 3-way and have come full circle.

The best single driver stuff I've heard are Kurt's various Fostex dipoles. But Kurt always uses a sub. One thing though, it's easy enough to experiment with single-drivers by putting cheap Fostex in a cardboard baffle like one of Kurt's early experiments shown in the attatchment. Easy and cheap, good fun.

Dean---Here's a photo of some simple dipoles I built 25-30 years for my brother with cheap 6x9 coaxes from Lafayette Radio. I ended-up using 4 of the 6x9s a side with a piezo.

They sounded pretty good. I got the idea from one of Weem's speakerbuilding books. He said using multiple cheap drivers with uneven responses could work well because the response could average out and the drivers needn't work hard.

post-6913-13819257056062_thumb.jpg

Mark,

That looks pretty cool. Having owned the big Advents I never found the high end as pleasing as the smooth low end. Which advents are pictured here? If my memory serves me these look different from the large advents in my mind.

Josh

I have never seen ANYTHING that looked so wickedly cool. WOW. I just looked at speaker pics real quick. some of those would be a real I catcher- and id like to hear if they sound as good as they look. thanks for showing us this site...

by the way- I don't know I a lot about amps and which sounds best so I have no comment on what he has built. well I guess I haven't had time to read it all yet either.

scp53

"Christ, another Alnico fetishist. What nonsense."

I'm guilty as charged.

Can't speak for other manufacturers, but I have had klipsch models of both magnet formulations, and I sold off the newer klipsch for alnico era stuff.

I cannot say that the differences are solely attributable to the magnets alone (I suspect the crossover formula makes a difference too). I think it would be interesting to have a showdown using specially and similarly prepared crossovers on an alnico and a ferrite version to attempt to isolate what the differences are in those drivers.

But I can tell you this: At least in the Heritage klipsch in stock form, it's alnico versions for me.

Fun to read page, BTW....