Monster Cable

bcmiller

Hi,

I noticed in my recently purchased RC35, RB35, and RW12 that they now come with Monster Cable inside. I have been debating if it truely provides a performance increase by putting high end cable for my video and audio connections. I am purchasing DENON 3805 and DENON DVD-2900, Zenith DIRECTV HD Reciver, with MIT-HD 46" TV....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, it would be a waist of $ to add any fancy cables to this setup. Its a good start to a nice HT, but, probably less then 10% of the audiophiles can hear a difference in cables, and this is ONLY with the most unforgiving system possible. I would spend your $ on components, DVDs, music before spending serious $ on cables. You can also build your own cables that will easily beat any Monster type cable for preformance and cost.

Check out my DIY cable link below, at the bottom of the page is a few pictures of the guts of those fancy monster cables.

-Dave

----------------

On 7/10/2004 9:53:26 PM DrPyro wrote:

IMHO, it would be a waist of $ to add any fancy cables to this setup. Its a good start to a nice HT, but, probably less then 10% of the audiophiles can hear a difference in cables, and this is ONLY with the most unforgiving system possible. I would spend your $ on components, DVDs, music before spending serious $ on cables. You can also build your own cables that will easily beat any Monster type cable for preformance and cost.

Check out my DIY cable link below, at the bottom of the page is a few pictures of the guts of those fancy monster cables.

-Dave

----------------

bcmiller:

If you don't want to DIY you can Have a place called Blue Jeans Cable that will do it for you for a very resonable price. they use the some of same cable as this man i quoted above uses.

drpyro:

by the way how did you get links in your signature. it won't let me.

Thanks guys....

Actually the cables are VERY easy to make! There are several other recipes to make cables, and some report that they use better materials so they sound better then the ones I made, BUT since i'm a lazy person i wanted a quick and easy way to make good sturdy cables and the Canare system did just that.

For premade DIY type cables, there are several sources where you can look. BlueJeans Cables http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ is one, and Vince Mastkeeper over at HomeTheaterForum also builds some for people when he does a batch. There are several other companies that do DIY types, but I can't remember their names at this moment.

For Store type cables, I would probably just go with some simple RadioShack interconnects (Gold variety) as I feel the cable is more securely attached to the connector then Monster and others. They all will put a death grip on your RCA plugs and you will feel as if you are going to break your device, but there is no need to spend $$$ on them (yet). Eventually when you get more 5.1 connections or DVD-A/SACD and you need all of those damn analog cables and its going to cost you a bloody fortune to buy, DIY starts to sound REALLY good.

-Dave

PS: As for the hyperlinks at the bottom, i put them in a long time ago when Klipsch let you use them....I believe now you can't add them, but it hasnt seemed to affect preexisting ones...

Being fairly handy with my hands, I'm thinking the DIY cables are a great idea. The shop can buy the tools even if I only use em once for a stereo install. Thanks for the link with the wonderful directions and great pics, lets you see what really goes on inside some of the spendier cables. Looking forward to getting our house finished so I can start building my room, building cables, and maybe building some equipment to boot!

Oh...one more thing....Speaker Cables..... IMHO, the BEST route for speaker cables is DIY. Depending on your amp & speakers, (if they have the 5-way binding posts) then the Radio Shack Gold-Plated Dual Banana Plug (278-308) works great. Other wise, some normal banana connectors need to be used. In a few months I will be uprgading my speaker wire to either Canare Starquad 4s8 (13 AWG) or 4s11 (11 AWG). The prices are reasonable too for the wire guage ($0.48/foot of the 4s8 and $0.82/foot of the 4s11). Plus i can make them any lenght i choose.....so I will likely get a 100 ft roll from Have Inc. and call it a day....

-Dave

I'm a member of the "wire is wire" club. Wire is like religion. You believe or you don't.

My point is that Com Ed can run megawatt bass signals (60Hz) for miles on ordinary coppper. But people worry about a run of zip cord to the speaker for 10 feet.

Our cable companies run 100 mHz of R.F. (call it extreme treble) for miles on ordinary coax. But people worry about 12 inches of wire between a DVD and a TV.

I will agree with DrPyro on the physical danger. My brother in law bought some Monster Cable RCA connectors. The sleeve connector is so tight that it is difficult to get it to engage the jack. This was a source of trouble getting a connection.

Trying to get the little darlings off made me think I was going to rip the jack out of the circuit board unless extreme care was used.

I agree that Radio Shack gold connectors are a nice combination of quality and price and I have purchased them when necessary. Otherwise, I use the connectors which come with the amp, CD player, etc.

If I thought there was any merit to super wire or super connectors, I'd be at the head of the line to buy them.

Gil

D-Man---Gil certainly knows his stuff, he's shown me alot more than you have.

You argue by assertion, as Gil said, it's your religion. Prove that 2 wires (yeah wires, in my world cables are the things we lift 300 ton loads with) that are properly designed to pass the entire audio signal sound different, prove it, don't just assert it.

Fact is that nobody has ever proved such a thing in double-blind tests or using scientific method. Of course we can design wire that will sound different; 300' of 36 gauge will have frequency response problems but then that wouldn't be a proper wire.

This wires thing is the biggest con-job in the history of audio. I'll ask you a simple question Dman: if such a simple thing as wire makes such a big difference how come it slipped right by Wente, Thuras, Olson, Hilliard, Lansing, Fletcher, Klipsch and all the other scientists (yes, scientists) and engineers that actually invented this stuff we listen to? Guys that had the resources of Bell Labs, RCA and MGM behind them. The guys that invented compression drivers, basshorns, 4" edgewound voicecoils, the 300B and 2A3 tubes and amps that used them, microphones and sound recording itself; how did the wire thing slip past those guys but not past some LSD addled baby-boomer "audiophile"? Eh? Tell me. And don't tell it's because we have better gear, those were the guys with better gear and they were right at their recording source, not listening several generations down as we do.

You guys oughta be following the wire discussion over on the Altec board. Some engineer with profound experience is making mincemeat of the wire fetishists over there. I wish I knew a fraction of what that fella knows, it's also obvious that the wire weirdos do know ONLY a fraction of what he knows.

You know one thing about "horndom" was that horns being unfashionable in high-end circles most hornys were pragmatic, mechanical "show me" kinda guys with a low threshold for bull****. Now that's changing; to some extent because some SET cultists, many of whom are SETists first and hornys second, are infecting the horn world with lots of cockamamie "high end" nonsense.

I feel better now. I need to rant on this once in awhile. I can't stand all this bull****.

My take on this is that even if "oxygen free twisted silver" or whatever _was_ better (not saying that it is) for audio reproduction wouldn't the pro studios be using stuff like that? Most of them use Belden teflon coated copper for wire and interconnects and such: even if wacky wire did make a difference what's the point in using something "better" at home than was used to create the recording in the first place.