Off topic but!

TIbor

I just got done reformatting my comp, due to a nastly virus that ran havoc on the web and just about everything else. I run norton antivirus, but wondering what pop stopper adware stopper(spyware) are you using. Ihave adaware 6 but I still get some popups

Thanks

----------------

On 7/11/2004 6:04:35 PM chuckears wrote:

I use the google toolbar; I would estimate a 99+% successful pop-up blocking; it's a free download, and just make sure it is enabled in the options dialogue box...

----------------

same here google toolbar has a pop upblocker in it and it works really well.

You ought to consider running Norton Internet Security. It bundles a number of programs together, including Norton Antivirus, Personal Firewall, Intrusion Detection, Privacy Control, Ad Blocking, and Spam Alert all in one. It includes a one year update subscription. It functions very smoothly - I've used it since February 2003 on two machines and I've experienced no troubles.

I use CrazyBrowser. It is a pop-up blocker that sits on top of IE. Very easy to use. And of course, it's FREE!

Firefox is also a good option if you want to get away from IE. I use both.

Redtop

Edit---

For spyware take a look at Spybot S&D. Another free utility that's work well as a supplement to AdAware.

I use Mozilla 1.6 and so far it is 100% effictive at stopping pop-ups. It is not suseptible to the normal viruses and worms that IEsux gets daily. I have Adaware6 and Spybot 1.2, but they have never found spyware on my machine.

It is stupid and foolhardy to intertwine a browser with the OS so that the OS becomes insecure. You need to stop using IEsux. Until Turbotax reinstalled it I had deleted all recognizable bits of IEsux from my PC and it ran quite nicely, maybe better. I must keep it to access some work stuff from home. If I didn't need that, I'd kill it again.

----------------

On 7/11/2004 8:44:10 PM John Albright wrote:

I use Mozilla 1.6 and so far it is 100% effictive at stopping pop-ups. It is not suseptible to the normal viruses and worms that IEsux gets daily. I have Adaware6 and Spybot 1.2, but they have never found spyware on my machine.

----------------

Yep, another staunch user of Mozilla here. I also use Ad-aware, plus I have a firewall in the router that does an effective job of blocking crap like that. I've never been hit with a virus or worm (knock on wood).

For e-mail, I got rid of that piece of trash Outlook Express and use the Mozilla e-mail client as well as MailWasher. I also take advantage of the multiple email accounts my ISP allows me to setup (used to be 5, now they allow 7), thus I pretty much keep my main address to myself and close family. I setup another e-mail account for "general" use, such as on this forum, a third exclusively for ski patrol use, and a forth exclusively for on-line billing and transactions (thus keeping my bank statements and the like seperate from my regular e-mail). If it gets clobbered in spam, I'll throw it away, and setup yet another one ("skonop1" becomes "skonopa2", but fortunatly, and almost surprisingly, it gets practically no spam. Overall, I've gotten practially no spam, maybe one or two messages every couple of months, and with MailWasher, I "bounce" those.

For pop ups, I use Norton Intenet Security. But I find it not as effective against adware/spyware - it misses quite a few of those trackers and keyloggers. So, to complement is, I have installed a few others - Adaware 6, SpywareBlaster and SpyBot Search and Rescue (excellent software btw). Each of them seems to find some of the spyware/adaware that others somehow missed, but together they keep my PC clean. Make sure to close all unused ports.