Speaker Cable Sound

artto

Interestingly, the New Scientists recently commented on the London Heathrow Hi Fi Show, saying that among the cables selling for up to £30,000 for 6 metres, they found Quad demonstrating their latest speakers to great enthusiasm. The orange cable to the speakers looked oddly familiar. When asked about it, Tony Faulkner, the recording engineer demonstrating them (who'd used the speakers as monitors while recording Saint-Saen's complete works for piano & orchestra, Gramophone's Record of the Year), said of the cables:

"Yes, they would look familiar if you have a garden. Before the show opened we went over the road to the DIY superstore and bought one of those £20 extension leads that Black & Decker sells for electric hedge-cutters. They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me. The show's been running for three days and no one in the audience has noticed..." - New Scientist Magazine

I'd definatly go the extra mile and buy Black & Decker premier line of cable , the " Dewalt " brand . The addition of the yellow jacket instead of the orange is said to cut RFI by 1/3 during luner cycles occuring in the last quarter of the year after a leap year .

"Yes, they would look familiar if you have a garden. Before the show opened we went over the road to the DIY superstore and bought one of those £20 extension leads that Black & Decker sells for electric hedge-cutters. They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me. The show's been running for three days and no one in the audience has noticed..." - New Scientist Magazine

----------------

That's Great! Feed em through a fancy black sheath and as Mark says put some fancy shrink on them, put them on some little stands and wax poetically about the musicality and transparency! See if you can keep a straight face!

Josh

Don't laugh, the folks at QUAD have great ears. Sounds like we have new killer cable to try out. :)

£30,000 for 6 meters of cable? What's that, about $70,000? It's sad, because I know of a cable that goes for $2000 a meter that probably sounds just as good.16.gif

Power cable works well.

Thermostat wire works well.

I used stranded Romex industrial wire for a long time.

Twisted pair of enameled magnet wire works well.

CAT 5 cable is good, too.

Copper is a good conductor!

A recent issue of Absolute Sound mentioned the power cable thing, too. You have three conductors to figure out how to use -- 2hot/1 common or 1hot/2common. Or you can forget about the third conductor and just use two of them.

5 conductor 18AWG thermostat is great, too! you can twist 3hot/2common or 2hot/3common.

Now! Outdoor sprinkler system wire -- that's the real jaw-dropping stuff. Even better is the power cord that is used on under-sink garbage disposals.

Didn't the National Geographic do a special on the extraordinary hearing ability of the folks at Quad!? Maybe not.....

----------------

On 7/13/2004 8:50:17 AM mdeneen wrote:

No, what's sad is when you need SEVEN meters.

mdeneen

----------------

Whats REALLY SAD is when in a large room (with 3 speakers) you need 45 meters of cable like I do. Hmmmm.....$525,000? LMFAO

I have a old 100' long B&D 10AWG orange extension cord that I use for the hedge trimmer & edger (no kidding) thats going bad at the ends from bending. Now I know what to do with it. And it's already 'broken in' from years of use. It should sound absolutely fabulous by now! LOL

There is a distinct "type" of sound that the Brits seem to particularily like. Thick and smooth midrange and (apparently) a lack of everything else.

In horns, they tend towards the same with a tendency towards rear-loading full range drivers, i.e., Tannoy and Lowthers...with the exception of the full-size Tannoys, they tend to have a small coverage ability (IMO).

Quad electrostats, LS3's, all tend to have a certain propensity towards that rather smallish sound-stage and overly-lush midrange sound. and NO bass.

Why should we care what kind of cables they use (or not)?

DM2.gif