$6000 to spend, what to do. Please help

DA1984

----------------

On 7/16/2004 7:28:40 PM DA1984 wrote:

Here is my current leaning, but I might be pushed if shoved. Prices already quoted. (Ultmate E.)

RF-5s - $900

RC-7 - $675

RSX -5 - Free (because I own them now). Upgrade later

SVS 20-39 PC Plus - $900 (with cable)

Sony Grand Wega 60in. Rear Projection LCD - $3400 (Ultimate wants $400 more for a 5 year warranty, not including the bulb . Is it worth it, hmmmm?

= $5875 w/out warranty, $6275 with + tax = a little over budget, but very close so its ok.

Comments? Articulate Announcements?

----------------

Very nice. I have a pair of the RF-5s in my setup, and they are a great speaker. The RC-7 is an excellent choice for the center. The RSX-5s, you may be pleasantly surprised at just how good those will work for surrounds. Did not realize you already had those. To be honost, forget the extended warrenty on the TV (unless it includes "free" calibration/tech visits), and put the money towards getting the RF-7s instead of the RF-5s. 10.gif

----------------

Here is my current leaning, but I might be pushed if shoved. Prices already quoted. (Ultmate E.)

RF-5s - $900

RC-7 - $675

Sony Grand Wega 60in. Rear Projection LCD - $3400 (Ultimate wants $400 more for a 5 year warranty, not including the bulb . Is it worth it, hmmmm?

= $5875 w/out warranty, $6275 with + tax = a little over budget, but very close so its ok.

----------------

1) Go RC-5, not 7. Match the series, you'll be glad you did.

2) No, it's not worth it if it doesn't cover the bulb. The bulb is the part that will most likely go inside of 2 years, and it's about $900 to replace it. This is why I keep screaming forward projection - at least you can easily replace your own bulb, saving you $3-400 in onsite labor. The bulbs in LCD and DLP projection systems don't last very long.

If this is for home theater, you dont need RF's at all, get RB's for the fronts and spend your money on the center channel and sub. But don't cut yourself short of the RC-7. Some say that the rc-35 and 25 are only "mediocre". As far as the TV goes. I really dont like any TV's. I have seen many of the HDTV's and none of them give you the look and feel of a projector as far as movies go. Unless this is for every day TV use, get a projector.

----------------

RF-5s - $900

RC-7 - $675

----------------

since when are RF-5's 900 bucks?

If you have controlled lighting then I like front projection better for a bigger screen...assuming you have the correct seating to screen ratio.

Get price options and negotiate the price. Circuit city will under cut them on price....do they carry the same model?

I did not like the Heresy on top of a RPTV for center with Cornwalls nor the blend with KLF-C7 as center w/cornwalls. The Cornwalls do have great dynamics for HT and are a great value given the space and ability to use three on the floor.

I sometimes find the RF7 demo at ultimate to be a bit too Shrill at high volume for my tastes. I prefer the KEF Ref demo room at Ultimate which is over priced.

----------------

On 7/17/2004 1:39:44 PM Griffinator wrote:

1) Go RC-5, not 7. Match the series, you'll be glad you did.

----------------

There is no RC-5 speaker. 6.gif Klipsch only offers RC-10, RC-15, RC-25, RC-35 and then RC-7.

So, I have to go along with what the guy is proposing to get - the RC-7. I also agree with saying to hell with the "extended warrenty" on the TV, and put the money to get the RF-7s instead of the RF-5s.