Why do some amps go up for sale frequently

----------------

On 7/22/2004 5:01:00 PM neo33 wrote:

"It's better to have gear that sounds better to the owner. End of story. And rationalizing that doesn't change that fact, either. I thought sfogg drove that point home quite well."

Apparently, Paul hasn't fully absorb it yet. I suppose it's too much for him to comprehend.

----------------

As alwaysit is the owner's money, the owner's house, the owner's system and the owner's choice. You may rationalize all of that along with the owner's hearing, audio sources and music prefences.

Now we can be adults and agree to disagree as to what WE wish to own, not own or own along with something different.

dodger

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, he'd say (conjecture on my part, admittedly) that those 3.5W aren't clean, and that with 200W at your disposal, you'd have enough headroom so as to avoid the area of clipping, thereby eliminating a major source of harmonic distortion. Both statements may be true, but the truth of those statements are stil beside the point.

----------------

On 7/22/2004 5:13:09 PM dodger wrote:

Now we can be adults and agree to disagree as to what WE wish to own, not own or own along with something different.

dodger

----------------

Unfortunately, ownership and use of any amplifier rated less than the "absolute minumum required" 20W is wrong and morally reprehensible. Owners of such deficient devices leave themselves open to public ridicule and chastisement.

"Unfortunately, ownership and use of any amplifier rated less than the "absolute minumum required" 20W is wrong and morally reprehensible. Owners of such deficient devices leave themselves open to public ridicule and chastisement."

And who shall be the judge and the juries?

What distortion lies in the hearts of amps.....

PP amps - initials, a brand, a type?

Well I have to leave, I have to teach my neighbor's mule to Push and Pull and then I have to teach my niece's dog to SET.

Luckily, New York is somewhat of a Solid State. Maybe tomorrow I'll go down and see if they are working on any Hybrid Lilacs for next years Lilac Festival.

I'll turn off the air conditioning and save a few Watts.

Nighty-Night, play nice,

dodger

----------------

On 7/22/2004 12:45:23 PM steamer wrote:

----------------

On 7/21/2004 9:34:25 AM DeanG wrote:

I want everyone to try SET, and the sooner the better.

----------------

Hello,I am new to this forum and felt compelled to say a few words.I currently own Shanling SP-80 monoblocks.I love the sound of these 50 watt PP amps.They are like magic on my LaScala's.But a few months back I heard a SET setup and cant get the sound out of my mind!I keep telling myself that what I have sounds great but...that sound.I will probably talk myself into the move.That does'nt mean I have a problem with my current amps.The SET sound appeals to me. Greg

----------------

Greg,

It's good for members to hear from individuals who have not been fed a diet of magic and refinement concerning SET amps pedaled by many in this forum, and who has heard and experienced for himself. Whatever your final configuration, or alternate configuration, only you can decide what you prefer. Thanks for the blast of fresh air.

Craig

----------------

On 7/22/2004 5:00:49 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Looking at the power supplies of an average PP and SET amp there are not significant differences. What this means that although the PP amp's output is "capable" of much more power, with both channels driven the PS will peter out and cause it's own distortion whereas the SET will put out it's "full" 3.5 watts cleanly.

It's a choose your poison type of thing or do like most of us and have multiple amps/systems to satisfy our whims.

----------------

Oh come on. Your claims here are absurd.

What kind of whim would be satisfied by playing something through an underpowered and distortion-laden amp? Masochism?

----------------

On 7/22/2004 5:17:40 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Unfortunately, ownership and use of any amplifier rated less than the "absolute minumum required" 20W is wrong and morally reprehensible.

----------------

No, "wrong and morally reprehensible" do not enter into it; that's just your faulty interpretation. Using a low-powered amp is a bad choice, that's all.

----------------

On 7/22/2004 6:09:51 PM paulparrot wrote:

Oh come on. Your claims here are absurd.

What kind of whim would be satisfied by playing something through an underpowered and distortion-laden amp? Masochism?

----------------

Here we go again, trying to pass of opinion as fact...

----------------

On 7/22/2004 6:18:34 PM edster00 wrote:

Here we go again, trying to pass of opinion as fact...

----------------

Say what? You're going to have to be specific if you want to be understood.

Distortion and clipping in underpowered SET amps are facts. If you prefer the sound of distortion and clipping, you are welcome to your opinion. But you cannot opine away clipping. It's there and opinion does not enter into it.

"Here we go again, trying to pass of opinion as fact..."

You must understand that Paul is suffering a condition known as "factitious". And thus, sometimes he's having a difficulty distinguish between the two.

Sorry I'll try to be more specific:

----------------

On 7/22/2004 6:09:51 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

"Underpowered and distortion laden amp" is your opinion, not fact.