• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 7/22/2004 6:13:03 PM paulparrot wrote:

Using a low-powered amp is a bad choice, that's all.

----------------

Absolutes applied to a purely subjective choice. So uncharactaristic of you. Feeling OK?

As I opined earlier, sfogg put out some factual evidence that showed certain amps exhibit higher total harmonic distortion levels that many people (ostensibly with operational brains and ears) quite enjoy. Are they wrong to enjoy these amps? Will some of us ever lose our boners for knocking other peoples' gear? I think not on both accounts.

Neo! How did you do this? How did you manage to distort reality so? For a brief moment I thought I was reading the thread 'To SET or not to SET'!

Then I realised, I wasn't. At least I think I wasn't.

You are very adept at manipulating the Matrix, Neo.

I'm wondering about this amorphous figure I've seen during my internal battle. I think it's you Neo! Wielding that SET powered light sabre.

Are you the Oracle?6.gif

"

Greg,

It's good for members to hear from individuals who have not been fed a diet of magic and refinement concerning SET amps pedaled by many in this forum, and who has heard and experienced for himself. Whatever your final configuration, or alternate configuration, only you can decide what you prefer. Thanks for the blast of fresh air.

Craig"

When one can't spell or put two intelligent sentences together, plagiarism is the order of the day.

Klipsch out.

PS. I better ordr a pair o dem VD amps.

I only check this thread every other day or two to see how many times the players involved have said the same thing in different ways. Right now I'm feeling kinda glad I have NO experience with tube amps other than searching for information. I still say there's going to be disagreements between Chevy and Ford owners, and Ferrari and Porsche owners, or Mercury or Yamaha outboards, Miller or Budwiser, heck, since we're building, why not even round or oblong toilets? There is no right or wrong, only preferances. If there was a "Right" amp, or speaker, or cable, or what have you, then we'd only need one company manufacturing said item, we'd all have the same thing, and there would be no need for the occasional road trip to audition someone else's set-up. How boring would THAT be? 9.gif

----------------

On 7/22/2004 7:06:07 PM jazman wrote:

"

Greg,

It's good for members to hear from individuals who have not been fed a diet of magic and refinement concerning SET amps pedaled by many in this forum, and who has heard and experienced for himself. Whatever your final configuration, or alternate configuration, only you can decide what you prefer. Thanks for the blast of fresh air.

Craig"

When one can't spell or put two intelligent sentences together, plagiarism is the order of the day.

Klipsch out.

----------------

----------------

On 7/22/2004 7:06:07 PM jazman wrote:

"

Greg,

Craig"

Klipsch out.

----------------

Like I said I was losing concentration.Maybe my humor was misplaced.Just enjoying the music and trying to get involved in the forum. Greg

----------------

On 7/22/2004 6:40:45 PM neo33 wrote:

20W PP amps do not distort and clip when driven to their limits. This is a known fact!

----------------

You are incorrect. Any amp will clip when driven to its limit. But a 20W amp will not clip as soon as a 3W amp made of chicken bones.

----------------

On 7/22/2004 7:07:26 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

how many times the players involved have said the same thing in different ways.

----------------

I think a lot of progress has been made just recently. It used to be that the lo-pows denied their amps were distorting and clipping. Now some of them are grudgingly admitting it, but just saying it sounds good to them.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that inside of two more years of posting, there will be at least two more people who realize that lo-pow amps are not the answer.

"You are incorrect. Any amp will clip when driven to its limit. But a 20W amp will not clip as soon as a 3W amp made of chicken bones."

You mean if I play the 20W amp at "reasonable" volume level (say 150dB), then it won't clip and distort?

OK, now I have a question...

We had Beer Butt Chicken on the grill last Saturday and still have the wishbone sitting by the stove drying. Before my wife and daughter go to split it, if we do Beer Butt Chicken every weekend, and save the wishbones from each one, how long till I have enough bones to buld my own custom amp, and will it sound different if I don't always buy Farm Fresh chickens, but throw in a couple Gold'n Plump ones? Also, will my highs be clearer if I buy only free range chickens? Anyone have any experience with this chicken bone amp thingy? I'm very intrigued. 9.gif

Also, if I have less efficient speakers, should I move up to ribs or steak to get a bigger, beefier sound from my bone amps?

In the same vein, I would think for the ultimate in low power output but extreme clarity, would a walleye bone amp sound better than a sunfish bone amp? Or possibly even a redfish bone amp, though a little tough for me since I'm thousands of miles from an ocean or gulf. 15.gif My loss I suppose. Hey Craig, you ever tried to make a Northern Pike amp? I bet it's got a lot of "bite" and digs deep, right down into the weeds when asked to. 9.gif

----------------

On 7/22/2004 7:16:17 PM steamer wrote:

Like I said I was losing concentration.Maybe my humor was misplaced.Just enjoying the music and trying to get involved in the forum. Greg

----------------

You're obviously doing fine. If you have an itch for trying a lo-pow amp, go for it. That's ultimately the best way to get it out of your system. Then you won't have any nagging doubts. That is, as long as you don't fall for the line about "If only you had used a different power cord/patchcord/tube brand/capacitor brand" etc, "then you would have loved it."

----------------

On 7/22/2004 7:23:02 PM paulparrot wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that inside of two more years of posting, there will be at least two more people who realize that lo-pow amps are not the answer.

----------------

That's a big call Paul. Are you sitting on this limb with your alter-ego, Neo?

""If only you had used a different power cord/patchcord/tube brand/capacitor brand" etc, "then you would have loved it.""

I can guarantee that your 3.5W amp won't distort and clip if you replace your stock power cord with a $3.50 power cord from Radio Shack! Or I'll buy the power cord back from you!

"I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that inside of two more years of posting, there will be at least two more people who realize that lo-pow amps are not the answer."

What? It gonna take you that long to come to realization that high-power PP amps are not the answer to clarity?

----------------

On 7/22/2004 7:23:02 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

I agree with your prediction Paul. I also think there will be at least two more people who switch from hi-pow to lo-pow amps. Everyone's situation is different. Each should be able to determine for themselves what they like best in their system without ruling out a topology simply because someone else tells them it won't work. For some reason, some folks actually like both! Imagine that!

----------------

On 7/22/2004 7:32:57 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 7/22/2004 7:16:17 PM steamer wrote:

----------------

You're obviously doing fine. If you have an itch for trying a lo-pow amp, go for it. That's ultimately the best way to get it out of your system. Then you won't have any nagging doubts. That is, as long as you don't fall for the line about "If only you had used a different power cord/patchcord/tube brand/capacitor brand" etc, "then you would have loved it."

----------------

No way,I already have them.I have walked through the wilderness of stereophile and came out alive,broke but alive and wizer.I am going back to my roots.That means Klipsch LaScala's with something I never got to try.Never put any tubes on them...now I have and won't likely go back.I do have a Bryston 3B w/input level control that I want to put on the woofer and bi-amp with my tubes.Just having fun! Greg