Bose Bulletin Board, just imagine ...

While having a little fun in a different strand with DougDrake2, he mentioned the lack of a Bose Bulletin Board. The quote was: "I bet they don't have this much fun on the Bose bulletin board. Whoops, I guess that's 'cause they don't have one!" Well what if they had one? I responded with a couple of possible posts:

Finishes:

"I wanted a new finish for my surround system so I found a nice bottle of black nail polish. I painted all five speakers and still have some left for future touch ups if needed."

Speaker placement:

"So I have been playing around with my speaker placement to see how it would look. The problem is I forgot where I placed the surrounds and I don't have them wired yet. I usually follow the string like wire to the cubes, but I disconnected the speaker wire for ease of moving, bad back."

These are not the most billiant examples, but you get the point. What example posts can the rest of you BB members come up with?

Disclaimer: This is just for fun and it should be taken as a joke. We don't really dislke Bose speakers, it is just the noise that comes out of them.

This message has been edited by decibel man on 07-20-2001 at 08:23 AM

Hi, I have a question, hope you don't mind a neubie chiming in...

I frequent some other boards, and I've seen a lot of references to having the speakers "axis" cross in front of the listening position for the best "imaging". I have a couple of questions.

1) I assume when they say "axis" they're talking about the centerline of the sound coming from the speaker. How do you calculate this? I tried, talking the 1st reflections off the back and side walls (my 901's are 18 inches in front of the wall, and placed 3 feet in from each side wall), and trying to figure out where this sound "axis" would be. My problem is that I keep coming up with numbers that indicate there isn't AN "axis", there are, like, EIGHT of them (not counting the front driver, of course... I'm not really sure what it's there for or what it does). I tried averaging the results for each driver, but don't understand how to do that, I guess. I tried diagramming this, but the drawing looked really weird - almost like there was no coherence to the sound at all. I tried simply shifting the position of the speakers, but it really didn't seem to make any difference AT ALL no matter HOW they were pointed. It always sounded the same. I did note that if I pulled them all the way out into the room so that they were directly to my right and left sides, and I was between them, that the bass seemed to be a bit softer, but otherwise there was no change in the sound, whether they were pointed at me or away from me. What is the "axis" and what am I doing wrong?

2) What is "imaging"? It sounds almost like someone's talking about forming "images" of the singers or instruments on a CD, but I don't see how this would be possible... sound is not like light, you can't expect to be able to "locate" a "position" where the sound of, say, a guitar is coming from... I have found that by changing the volume level on the 901's I can make a piano sound like it's anything from 20 feet wide to about 100 feet wide, but it's still spread out in the same place, just like all the other sounds on my discs. How could you "image" something?

Ray

-----------

Bose 901 series VI

Bose Active Equalizer

Yeah, I finally brought home a new Acoustimass 15 speaker system.

I have a problem that I hope you folks could help a fellow Bose fan with...

It seems that after lots of serious comparison in different speaker setups for the best possible cinema-like sound and 'deep' bass, I came to the conclusion that the Acoustimass setup sounded its absolute best just before I took it out of its original packaging. Is this normal?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

------------------

RF-3 Mains

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Surrounds

Sony SAWM40 Subwoofer

Technics SA-DX1050 receiver

Panasonic DVD-RV31K DVD player

JVC 32" TV

Not too bad, I must say...

AAAGGGHHH

You took them out of the box?

Never take them out of the box!

You are supposed to tell alll of your friends you HAVE a Bose system. Not that you ever listened to it or even compared it to something else other than a transistor AM radio.

I knew a guy that had all early 1980s Carver electronics and 901s.

I always wished he would have bought LaScalas.

well, I got my 901's home and I'm trying to set them up just like they had them in the store. I put them in the corners like the salesman told me to but, I'm having problems putting the equalizer that comes with them BEHIND my wall so no one can see how I have it set. I'll have to move the 901's into the hallway since I have them on an OUTSIDE wall right now. Oh well, guess there goes that great "imaging" I was told about in the store!cwm33.gif

Ed

Please Help!!! A friend of mine is always on some Klipsch site. Anyway, he came over to listen to my set-up and I remember him saying that I could increase the bass response of my cubes if I use spikes. To make a long story short, I followed his advice and screwed four 1/4 inch screws into each corner of my cubes. Here's the problem....When I was drilling through the speaker the entire plasic enclosure shattered. Does anybody know of any glue that could possibly fix this/ It doesn't seem to affect the sound though...Thanks

My second cousin's next door neighbor has a friend that owns a pair of Bose 701 speakers, but he has been having a problem. I'm hoping one of you will help us out.

Every time he invites a group of friends over for some ice cold Schlitz and a BBQ cookout (found Spam on sale at the local K-Mart - cheap!!), his friends keep stamping out their cigarette butts and Swisher Sweet cigars on top of his speakers. Althought I have noticed this does enhance the sound quality and soundstage these speakers present, it does make quite a mess in his trailer home, which could present him with even more problems with his landlord.

He was wondering if there is an 'Ashtray' Accessory package available (looks like it should mount on top with no problem), and if it also includes a 'cigarette lighter' option. He currently has a Bic lighter duct taped to the side of the speaker, but it would be so cool to have a pop out cigarette lighter just like my '73 Ford Pinto does. That would be so convenient!

Thanks!

------------------

RF-3 Mains

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Surrounds

Sony SAWM40 Subwoofer

Technics SA-DX1050 receiver

Panasonic DVD-RV31K DVD player

JVC 32" TV

Not too bad, I must say...

I can't handle it any more. The laughter ie just too much. I went to a wedding tonight and experienced the usual free bar except that my wife exactually agreed to drive home. This is not normal. I think the multiple Absolute and tonics finally got to me. One should not have to come home and read such hilarious and original content.

This is why I turned the computer off before I left. I guess I did not do a good enough job.

Keep the creative Bose stuff coming. Your contributions are most excellant.

JT

Hey..these dern things sound like my old 77 F-250 Ford speaker, you know, the one right smack in the middle of the dash.. Do I have them hooked up wrong er somethin'?

Am I s'posed to route these here wires a certin way?

Gosh..I don't get it....................................

I am Bose tech support

I monitor this BB in hope of lending support.

one of the most critical mistakes that are made

is speaker placement. Some people have been taking

them out of the box. There are several reasons for

not doing this. It is the direct/reflecting factor

80% of music that is heard is reflected. I proved

this by attending concerts and at 80% of them being

passed out in the bathroom. Basically it cost more

to manufacture the box than it did the speakers.

also the boxes are made from the same material as

the drivers, hence why you never unpack them.

Another mistake made with speaker placement is

location. People belive that any kind of sound

stage is posible with these speakers. at bose we

feel that such things are of no importence along

with fequency range, materials, and any thing else

that require big words that I can't spell.

Proper speaker placement is the key to achiving

the deep rich sound that we been able to brain wash

so many customers into beliving.

Floor spikes have also been improperly used you

do not attach them to the speakers you may damage

the speakers remember we are not using quaility

materials here. The floor spike gets attached to

the floor but not the surface that gets walked on.

we are talking the suface under the floor in the

cellar. just screw in the spikes and attach the

boxes using duct tape. This is where another aspect

of our baffle them with bull#$!& comes into play

we like to call direct/reflecting you know the one

we only hear 80% of our wives.

With the speaker properly mounted under you

turn up the volume on the nice amp that was never

intended for such out on your own] and enjoy because this is the

best that it can ever get, they were never really

intended to be listend to.

Thanks

blose tech support

cwm15.gif

i just bought some bose 151 outdoor speakers. i,unlike more un-educated shoppers, listened to them first, and after comparing them to klipsch outdoor speakers, found that the midrange was alot more dicernable when running the lawnmower than the klipsch speakers which seemed to suffer with being 'busy' reproducing more of the audio range-you know-bass and treble- which i found was lost over the roar of the briggs and stratton gas motor.(maybe i should have replaced the muffler that rusted off?) the sales person was very helpful, they even let me bring in and fire up my lawnmower-so i could simulate my listening environment. when they told me that everyone sold bose for the same price-mandated by bose- i was happy that i got the best price, because nobody can sell for less.Smile.gif

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

klipsch-so good it Hz!

I gots me a question about Blose movie sound ( some guy from a Klipsch BB said that you could not call Blose home theater ) set up. I just purchased me that there Blose Acoustamass system and wanted to know if I could use my Blose waveRadio as a center channel for movie like sound. I figured why not the sound is almost life like and it feels the room with sound like Schafers light fills the room with the smell of cheap beer. I think my wife/cousin will love the idea. I bought me the Blose system at Blest buy here in L.A. ( lower Alabama ) so get others to share there set ups here on the Blose Bulletin board

------------------

This is my first Home Theater so kinda bare with me.

Speakers Klipsch Quintets

Reciever Sony DB-930

MiniDisc Sony MDS-JE510

LaserDisc Pioneer CLD-990

CD player Kenwood DP-R4430

Subwoofer Mirage FRX-15 300 watt

DVD RCA that needs to be upgraded and given to my Dad because he has a bose system and would not know the difference