Name the Musicians and help a guy out.

boomac

For several months I have been corresponding with the nephew of Duke Pearson. About three months ago he was kind enough to forward me several items that related to Duke. A couple reprint articles, a copy of an Atlanta Jazz Bulletin, with a nice story on Duke and one Polaroid picture of Duke with three other great musicians. I have attached the picture. Lets see if any one can correctly guess the other three musicians. Allan and Gary are encouraged to supply hints, if necessary, but I ask that neither participate until a fair amount of time has passed. You must guess all three correctly or I will just say nope. I'll give each forum member, who cares to guess, three chances.

Now! Unfortunately, Dukes nephew has fallen on hard times and could use a small boost. If anyone would consider a small contribution, please PM me and I will forward you his name and address. I suggest no more than a $5.00 money order made out to him. Am I 100% sure the guy is on the level? No, but I get the feeling he is and I think anything we can muster up will help a lot. I base my opinion on several e-mail conversations that we have had. Hes not expecting much. I will, of course, keep all who help out informed. If you arent comfortable sending a money order with your address, you can either send it to me for forwarding or you can forward cash. Again, hes not expecting much so it is not necessary for anybody to go overboard.

Thanks,

boomac

post-11564-1381925729455_thumb.jpg

Sound like a fun piece of trivia and I can state with absolute certainty that (drum roll please) I have absoultely no idea.

Would be happy to send a few bucks along, but it would probably be best for you to collect and send a combined amount that might enable him to pay some bills rather then buy lunch.

We'll need some sort of address in any event.

Good for you Boomac.

PS There's an organization (I'll try to find the name) that helps out old blues musicians-don't know if they do jazz.

----------------

On 7/26/2004 11:09:16 PM delano wrote:

Okay, 2nd try

I'm pretty sure that is Hank Mobley on Tenor and:

Donald Byrd- Trumpet

Doug Watkins - Bass

Delano

----------------

Congratulations Delano! You're correct. Even Duke's nephew wasn't sure about the bass player. Allan recognized Doug Watkins right away. That's a pretty fair group of musicians!

Just trying to keep this thread in the forefront for a bit.

In 1954, Doug Watkins played with Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers. The group included Doug (B), Horace Silver (p), Art Blakey (d), Hank Mobley (ts) and __________________(tr)?

----------------

On 7/27/2004 10:57:06 AM boomac wrote:

Just trying to keep this thread in the forefront for a bit.

In 1954, Doug Watkins played with Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers. The group included Doug (
B)
, Horace Silver (p), Art Blakey (d), Hank Mobley (ts) and __________________(tr)?

----------------

Kenny Dorham on Trumpet!

Duke Pearson, man I miss that guy, had he been with us longer I know we would have had some amazing albums to hear!

I really like his work. I think he managed the fusion of jazz and Brazilian music in a way that was ahead of many of his contemporaries. And his "Merry Ole Soul" is my favorite Xmas album! I don't even LIKE Xmas albums, but I like his!

It's funny I was going to post and identify those guys, but I found the thread too late; I was a little shaky on Watkins because I haven't really seen that angle of the face before too well, but I was pretty sure it was him. But I knew it was Donald Byrd. . . by the way that he holds his trumpet! And I just finished listening to three cdrs of Hank Mobley at the Cafe Montmartre in 1968 and he was instantly recognizable anyway.