DSP Modes: What do you use?

Nighthawk

Hi there...

I have a Yamaha receiver and my primary listening source is 2 channel, stereo; CD's. I have been listening to the different DSP modes and I'm still not sure what I like best, though I think I have narrowed it down to about two and I was wondering what everyone else uses mostly and for what types of music.

The two I have narrowed it down to are ProLogic Enhanced or Disco. The Disco setting is a setup with the mains mirrored in the rear and the center channel not used.

I would like to know what everyone else uses, what types of music they use the modes with, and why they like them. Smile.gif

Thank you for your time, I would appreciate your comments!!

------------------

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire

For most of my music I turn the effects off. Every now and then I will use "Pro-Logic Enhanced" or "Rock Concert." My moods change (? moon phase, planetary axis shift, WAF--whatever) from time to time and with this my ears like something a little different.

Strange how one day you listen to something and really enjoy it and the next day it's just not right! SO you start playing around, change this, then that, spend money, talk about it on the web...wow, great hobby!cwm30.gif

The only "mode" I like in my ACT-3 is "Party". All 6 channels are sent a full range signal, either L, R or L+R. With Live recordings, the effect is of sitting in the middle of the Venue. The "Club" mode is O.K.; the rest are too odd sounding.

For the most part, I don't use use the DSP modes.

John

So far, I am pretty much in agreement with the last three replies... and generally try to have my program material as "unvarnished" as I can. That's why I am a fan of Klipsch speakers and SVS subs.

Every once in a while, I flip to something that makes the program content a little different... and soon go back to the pure stuff. I also have a cup of hazelnut coffee at Starbucks now and then... but for a steady diet I prefer to fresh grind my own roasted-at-home Arabica blend of beans for my morning coffee.

However, there is an exception. Since I do not use WDST technology side/surround speakers, I often use the "78mm Adventure" (or other as appropriate) DSP on older technology (non 5.1 or poorly done 5.1) DVD sound formats and sometimes for standard broadcast TV as well. My receiver is programmed to automatically go into a 6.1 (straight or matrixed, as needed) when any 5.1 or 6.1 sound tracks are available.

To paraphrase that eloquent and accurate poster, Ray Garrison, with an offensive Parthian shot...

Music is Art...

Audio is Engineering...

DSP is the muddle in the middle!cwm34.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Two-channel Cornwall HT Recovery Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-22-2001 at 10:59 PM

I, too, like to listen to music "untarnished" by digital effects.

For one, you're losing sound quality just by virtue of what the DSP chips have to do to the data to add the echo and reverb and whatever else...

The DSP setting I'm most comfortable with if I DO put it on, is Jazz Club, since it adds the least digitizing and fills the room a little more by using the back speakers.

However, you'll also notice that with the DSP settings you lose a little (or a lot) of the sub-frequencies, and that don't bode too well with me.

I've got 15" woofers that want it (bass), and ears that want it, too, and I don't like losing it to digitizing...

to steal someone else's signature...

"Because no one's ever said - 'pump up the treble!'"

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

i usually listen in 2-channel stereo, i don't have my sub or surrounds yet, but in the showroom i've enjoyed 5-channel stereo, which integra by onkyo and yammy's have, i first heard 5-ch stereo on an adcom pre-amp hooked up to 5 def tech bi-polars thru two sony es amps...really jammed! on sonys, i like 'live house' it sounds the most natural. avman. p.s. a.f.d.(auto format decode)on sonys is l,r + sub when 2-ch is present.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

klipsch-so good it Hz!

w/ the marantz sr8000: for 2-channel music, 5-channel stereo mode or sometimes direct mode to bypass the bass mgmt & hear just the klf-30 slam it out.

for 5.1 sources, auto mode or again sometimes the direct mode if the source mix is good for it. cwm30.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

quote:

Originally posted by Nighthawk:

The Disco setting is a setup with the mains mirrored in the rear and the center channel not used.

Tim - Love the use of the word mirror in the same sentence as disco -- BONUS POINTS FOR THAT! (LOL).

The only modes I use for music are stereo, direct (no sub or EQ at all), and 5-channel stereo.

Doug

I use the disco mode for all the music. I adjusted the sound field parameters to half of the original sets. It decrease the echo in the rear channels. The receiver is the Yammy RX-V 2095, Chorus IIs mains and KLF-20s rear.

------------------

Cruzer

I prefer just plain old 2 channel for a majority of my music really don't dont want to tinker with Diana Kralls voice but the only exception is my Music Choice channels I'll use the DISCO setting for the Techo stuff and that's it.

------------------

Thanks J

KLF 30 Mains

C7 Center

8.5 rears

Yamaha RX-V995

Toshiba SD-1600 DVD

Pioneer CLD-S201 LD

Pioneer PD-M53 CD

Sony 32 inch TV

no subs till house built

quote:

Originally posted by Cruzer:

If you turn the effects off, you are only getting two channel stereo, is that what everyone likes/want? Is there any other way to make the Yammy to sound better.

Turn it up to 12:00! Smile.gif

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

"If you turn the effects off, you are only getting two channel stereo, is that what everyone likes/want? Is there any other way to make the Yammy to sound better."

Oh yeah! 2-channel stereo is by far the best sounding music ever. Yes, I have joined the "2-Channel Club" and after being enlightend by all of the great people on this board, I can safely say that I will NEVER turn back to ProLogic or any DSP modes... they sound so... fake! Where 2-channel is clean, pure, and has the best bass I have ever heard... wow! Smile.gif

Thanks everyone.

------------------

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire

Mains: Klipsch KSB 3.1

Rears: Klipsch KSB 1.1

Center: Klipsch KSC-C1

Sub: Yamaha 8"

Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5240