FRY'd Grand Opening in my area where do all the people come from?

Guest Anonymous

I have been buying at Frys for over 10 years. I have been in 4 different stores in 2 states and each store just seems to be larger than the next. They do have a little of everything and a lot of other stuff. Computers and parts, make up a good amount of the inventory. The local adds are good and they tend to set the price for all the other stores. The return process is a bit of a pain but I have never had them not take something back, infact they took back things that I was afraid that they wouldn't but sometimes it does take a long time. The line for returns is nearly as long as as the checkout lines but there are a LOT more clerks selling than taking back. The wife likes the DVD selection and it is rare that we leave the store without a new one. Bose does indeed seem to be pushed heavily, infact nearly every store has a built in "demo center". The store is a good one to goto if you KNOW what you want and are educated about what you want BEFORE you get to the store. I have spent many thousands of dollars over the years on copmuter parts, software, movies etc. The audio selection is indeed slim though but they did have the best price on a pair of speaker wall mounts ($19 for metal bracketts that will hold 50#) Are they the be-all, end-all store? No, but they are a good place to start though sometimes other local stores will have a better price on what you want or will offer free installation etc.

Dan,

If you are ever going to have a chance at enjoying your Fry's (Fries?) experience, as a customer you must slip into that android mind(less)-set yourself. Pop a few pills from Downer's Grove, see if one of your kids will push you around in a shopping cart, etc.

----------------

On 8/2/2004 8:56:58 AM fini wrote:

Dan,

If you are ever going to have a chance at enjoying your Fry's (Fries?) experience, as a customer
you
must slip into that android mind(less)-set yourself. Pop a few pills from Downer's Grove, see if one of your kids will push you around in a shopping cart, etc.
----------------

That's f-ing hilarious!2.gif

----------------

On 8/2/2004 12:47:22 PM DaddyDee wrote:

I've been trying to imagine an electronics and everything store big enough to have 78 cashiers on line at once. That is one huge store.

Disclaimer: I am from Arkansas and among the easily entertained.

----------------

Even I can get Daddy Dee to grin...12.gif

DaddyDee - The problem is that although they may have 78 checkstands, seldom are more than 1/4 to 1/3 open. I think they save them all for one or two big events LOL.

I've found many a great deal there, but could not imagine buying there if I wasn't fully educated in what I wanted. Watching for their big Friday ads can yield some smoking deals. Got a Samsung ML-1700 laser printer for $69 after rebate a couple of months ago, along with a Toshiba laptop for $699, a 200gb HD for $59, etc...

----------------

On 8/2/2004 11:50:07 AM TBrennan wrote:

Dan---"Bay Area"? Where's that, which one? Mobile? Chesapeake, Delaware? Saginaw? Big Bay de Noc, San Francisco, Galveston, Barataria? Or perhaps the most famous of bays, Green Bay?

Say, you ain't a Packers fan, I hope?
----------------

I should have qualified it with all caps...as in THE Bay Area. San Francisco Bay Area. AKA Silicon Valley. That's where these billionaire grocery barons got their start.

----------------

On 8/2/2004 11:50:07 AM TBrennan wrote:

Dan---"Bay Area"? Where's that, which one? Mobile? Chesapeake, Delaware? Saginaw? Big Bay de Noc, San Francisco, Galveston, Barataria? Or perhaps the most famous of bays, Green Bay?

Say, you ain't a Packers fan, I hope?----------------

I should have qualified it with all caps...as in THE Bay Area. San Francisco Bay Area. AKA Silicon Valley. That's where these billionaire grocery barons got their start.

BTW - GO PACKERS!

Guest Anonymous

i'll tell you what though, fry's by me has set the price for every competitor around... they are selling the onkyo txsr601 which is great entry level reciever for 350 which normally sells for 500 which is asteal. i looked around and at price grabber you can get a refurb with cosmetic damage for 350 before shipping so thats the best deal in town by me, i was thinking about buying one just because its such a great deal... i have no use for it but i suppose one can never have enough audio equipment... i have never been to hifi-hutch myself i will need to check it out.... the few times i was at frys all 78 cashiers were ringing and riniging good and they had 3 people for returns go figure that one....

As I said, Fry's tries to discourage returns by making them as time consuming and unpleasant as they possibly can. Be sure you want and plan to keep what you buy. Inspect the packaging very well to see if it has been rewrapped etc. And as others have mentioned, do your homeowrk before you go and you're bound to get a bargain.

I have had bad luck with hard drives from Fry's. Yes they are cheap, but I have received three that were bad out of four. Maybe I am just unlucky?