Klipsch vs SVS

boomer9911

Well after seeing Trey acknowledge on forum he has SVS...

cool...will Kilpsch acknowledge relationships now.....

so is the subwoofer category PWK's or SVS.....

just curious.....

go figure eh....10.gif

PS. My Subwoofer is the Velodyne FSR-18.....2.gif

Where is the Heritage subwoofer Klipsch...just a thought..10.gif10.gif

----------------

On 8/1/2004 10:09:45 PM boomer9911 wrote:

Well after seeing Trey acknowledge on forum he has SVS...

cool...will Kilpsch acknowledge relationships now.....

so is the subwoofer category PWK's or SVS.....

just curious.....

go figure eh....
10.gif

PS. My Subwoofer is the Velodyne FSR-18.....
2.gif

Where is the Heritage subwoofer Klipsch...just a thought..
10.gif10.gif

----------------

though trey has always claimed that the svs has too much second harmonic distortion

Trey, I am sure has tested SVS subs. I have never seen them at his house, nor has he mentioned that he has them to me. I am sure Klipsch tests every sub in the classes it is in. (You gotta know what the competition is doing right or wrong.)

That said, I know a lot of harmonics of sound are made in the SVS subs.. If you like that great, if not... Well you make the diffference. They are powerful, they do thump.

Tough to compare anything to the new Klipsch THX subs too. I am not so sure there is anything like them at all competition wise! Reguardless of cost. You would pretty much have to find a PA system that also is engineered to go that low and with that much bottom end too. (Very hard to do in a PA speaker at those volumes.) Klispch knows it has a winner in the THX system..With the subs.. Like BMW's tag line.. "Accept no substitute."

Hi All,

The *claim* of high distortion in SVS products is interesting to say the least. First, and most importantly, it should be noted that without full disclosure on the measurement method...any data is nearly meaningless. High? High compared to whata like priced product from another manufacturer? Which product, which manufacturer?

When a competing manufacturer states...

"""....True, the 2nd & 3rd harmonics are very loud on the SVS which = distortion. On the klipsch products, we work very hard to keep the harmonics to as low a level as we can."""

I would expect, at the least, to see our product compared to a like priced product of theirs. And not just for a single frequency. (If you run a single frequency out of the intended operating bandwidth of the SVS... it will grossly exaggerates the distortion measurements...just like any other subwoofer).

SVS has had its low distortion verified numerous times in the industry, Tom Nousaine has measured several Klipsch products and our own 20-39($429 passive, $599 powered) and our product compared *very* well. For example, compared to the $1800(msrp) rsw15the $599 SVS did have 2.5dB less clean output capabilitiesbut our model extended almost a full octave deeper (25hz vs 48hz) in Tom Nousaines huge room. And you can compare the Nousaine measurements on the SVS to other klipsch models he has measured tooI think SVS ranks *very* wellespecially compared to anything comparable in price.

And I would invite everyone who wants more info to go to www.hometheaterhifi.com and see several of our models measured for distortion.

For anyone to imply SVS = distortion is misleading to say the least. Lets see the same folks send a $550 product to www.hometheaterhifi.com and we can compare that to this review http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/svs-25-31-pci-subwoofer-12-2002.html ..distortion measurements and all..:)

Tom V.

SVS

• Klipsch Employees

Tom,

You are right...my words were chosen poorly.

Let me try again without going into specifics.

2nd and 3rd harmonics = distortion

In the simple test I ran on the THX Ultra 2 sub system there was little to no 2nd and 3rd harmonics audible. Thus, the system has little to no distortion at that frequency. (20Hz @ 1 volt in to the amp)

When performing the same test on other subs (no price or size restraints) I found most of them to have quite a bit more audible 2nd and 3rd harmonics.

The SVS tube style sub was one of them.

(I am sorry, but I dont know the name/number)

Does that SVS sub go low?

Yes.

Does that sub play loud?

Yes again.

Does that sub cost much less than the THX Ultra 2 sub?

Again, Yes.

Is it a better sub?

In my humble opinion, NO. They are not in the same class.

Would I suggest any sub for a 2 ch system / music?

Most of the time no, but in the case of the La Scala, yes.

The La Scala, for the most part, is a pro speaker. Going down to only 45Hz.

It needs a sub...

I do apologize for any misunderstanding I may have caused.

My intent was not to say the SVS = distortion, only to say that I did not suggest it for 2ch music with a pr of La Scalas.

Thank you for addition to our forum.

This topic is probably one that could get heated pretty qucik due to possible ownership commitments. However, I was reading this topic and wondered what SVS did they compare the Klipsch's new THX subs? I may be wrong but were they compared to a low end SVS? I was wondering at what price the THX subs were going for? Also, how would a liked price SVS compare to these subs (taken into account that Klipsch did not compare the subs to an equal priced SVS)? Also, I understand the point of THX certification such as the extensive tests the product must pass, but at the end doesn't the certification only raise the price? Why not come out with a great product without the certification and offer it with a lower price, or are they just trying to get a good name out for themselves? I really like Klipsch, but I'm just not sure about all this THX certification stuff. I just thought it was a bunch of b.s. to make consumers buy certain products.

When you think about it its quite funny,heated topic about a few Hz down the freq. range. 4.gif Well both SVS and Klipsch have good subwoofers,its a matter of taste and matching speakers in the end.SVS being more flat and aimed at supplying only the deepest bass,Klipsch a good dose of deep bass plus the famous Klipsch slam.

Good to see Tom V. back here

Dudes subwoofing is fun,its like adding some Nitro kick to your system. 9.gif

OT BTW I am getting the Anthem Statement P5,5 channel 130lbs monster amp shortly...he he he just to replace my ATI 2505.

If anyone is looking for a great poweramp(2 or 5ch)check the new Anthem amps out,amazing quality and value for the $.

"If anyone is looking for a great poweramp(2 or 5ch)check the new Anthem amps out,amazing quality and value for the $."

If you want quality tube-like sound in an SS for your HT system, get the Panasonic SA-XR25. It's an amazing receiver for the money!

----------------

On 8/7/2004 11:26:55 PM skillet2003 wrote:

I really like Klipsch, but I'm just not sure about all this THX certification stuff. I just thought it was a bunch of b.s. to make consumers buy certain products.

----------------

In general I feel the same way, but due to the SPL requirement of the THX certification, there are very few subs that carry the logo unlike many other components.

Most of the subs on the list require a pair, including the Klipsch, to meet SPL/bass extension specs. I think being on this list helps Klipsch stand out a little from the masses and bring / keep their theatre heritage in the forefront.

I'd agree with the purely "marketing" nature of the THX logo but I feel it's a respectable move on Klispch part given there is more to it when certifying subwoofers.

Rob

----------------

On 8/2/2004 10:59:28 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

...Tough to compare anything to the new Klipsch THX subs too. I am not so sure there is anything like them at all competition wise! Reguardless of cost. You would pretty much have to find a PA system that also is engineered to go that low and with that much bottom end too. (Very hard to do in a PA speaker at those volumes.) Klispch knows it has a winner in the THX system..With the subs.. Like BMW's tag line.. "Accept no substitute."

----------------

http://www.eaw.com/products/BH822e.html

This thing is roughly 3x3x5 feet (by no means too big) and weighs in at only 293 pounds. It has a sensitivity of 109dB (doesn't that beat the khorn?) and can handle 800 watts continous (that's 140dB of clean bass). The response is ±3dB from 24Hz to 300Hz and the -10 point is at 21Hz...I'm sure that the inroom response would go much lower (not to mention, there's plenty of headroom for adding EQ to extend the response even lower). As far as price, I'm not sure, but I can find one.

BH822e.jpg

Sorry just had to post a pic 2.gif

btw, what is the THX spec? +-3dB down to what frequency?

EAW,,,The PA speaker with a "Klipsch sound." (Yes my opinion) Great stuff I will check it out. By the time you get an amp, cables and EQ.. I also noticed they said to be used in "groups" of 4 or more.. WOW... This is gonna rock!!

I will look into pricing soon. Great find!!

The EAW Horn Loaded Subwoofer has an uncanning resemblance to a pair of DIY LAB12 subs. A lot of info on it's construction and performance... including a forum.

The only thing I find a little odd about the EAW... is the relatively low F3 listed on their documentation. I would love to see a frequency response graph for it (anechoic) to visualize this... as the mouth on the sub doesn't seem large enough to extend that low. It's a horn loaded sub... so I doubt there is any revolutionary technology (marketing?) behind them to extend their response... but you never know. 2.gif

Anyone have experience with these?

Rob

EDIT: some extra Lab12 links:

Pictures (large) http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/fa/316/0

HT Pictures: http://www.geocities.com/hulkss/TheaterPhotos.html

Background info: http://www.geocities.com/hulkss/LABsub3.html

Background info: http://home.comcast.net/~labhorn/