Klipsch vs SVS

boomer9911

I have coworkers at work that have heard the EAW subs before and they say it's the most powerful thing they've ever heard.

I think the trick to the low F3 is by using the horn to increase the upper frequencies and using raw woofer to do the low end...kinda like the ported lascala mod (adding a port to the bottom to increase the woofers capability). I don't remember, but I heard that mod drops the F3 down to 30Hz?

At 109dB sensitivity though, this has gotta sound great with khorns (keep in mind, the khorn extends down to 30Hz and it's about the same size...maybe a bit larger when you take the needed corner into account)

----------------

On 8/13/2004 10:49:12 AM dblue wrote:

I have a promedia sub under my desk with a thx logo on it...I guarantee it doesn't meet their requirements...it does sound good, but the thx sticker on it means just about nothing.

----------------

If you check out THX website, you will notice that your Promedia sub falls into the multimedia rather than the home theatre section... and therefore isn't subject to the same frequency response / SPL specifications.

I'm not sure what the THX Ultra2 requires... but it is more demanding than THX which, if I recall, includes a sustained 105db at 20Hz from a HT sub in a 3000ft3 room.

----------------

On 8/12/2004 2:39:54 PM DrWho wrote:

I think the trick to the low F3 is by using the horn to increase the upper frequencies and using raw woofer to do the low end...kinda like the ported lascala mod

----------------

It doesn't look like it's a ported sub... and from their drawing it seems to have a 5ft2 mouth.

On the other hand, I may have understood where they get the 6db at 24Hz from as their document mentions:

Frequency Response ±3 db 24 Hz to 300 Hz

Recommended High-Pass Frequency 25 Hz, 12 dB / octave Butterworth

If you have a 12db per octave x-over set at 25 Hz... I would interpret that as a frequency response that is climbing constantly at that rate of 12db/ocave up to at least the 300hz cutoff.. The slope probably continues below the 25Hz crossover too... and this would also match the 10db at 21Hz stated. In other words, they are using the crossover to eq the sub.

I'm not putting down the sub, but just would like to mention that EAW is restricted by the same physics PWK was when he designed the Klipschorn.

The only questionable (ie: I would like more info) item is whether the efficiency was taken without the x-over while the response was taken with it. Also, which frequency was the 109dB SPL 1watt @ 1m measured?

I guess you can't see the whole picture from partial specs only.

Rob

PS: the Klipschorn extends to only 35cycles and has a mouth of about 15ft2 by comparison

----------------

On 8/18/2004 1:55:03 AM boomer9911 wrote:

Promedia?!!.....I ask a simple friggin question and I get "PROMEDIA", you 2 must be buckin for points or digits...get a grip...lmao....PROMEDIA...down several columns and to the left...
10.gif

----------------

dont hate the playa, hate the game...

promedia pwnz joo!

ok so I use the promedia 2.1 system also at home for my computer.. it sais THX all I can say is it is soooo much better than a boston system I had before..

Now not cranked to insane levels sure.. but incredible highs and lows at low to mid levels for sure. If I was in college today Klipsch and a lap top/ iPod would be all I would need!!

----------------

On 8/18/2004 1:55:03 AM boomer9911 wrote:

Promedia?!!.....I ask a simple friggin question and I get "PROMEDIA", you 2 must be buckin for points or digits...get a grip...lmao....PROMEDIA...down several columns and to the left...
10.gif

----------------

You getting down the ProMedia?!? 6.gif. I put my own ProMedia set up against some Blo$e AcousticMe$$ speakers, and lets just say the ProMedia embarrsed the Blose!

ProMedia Rulez! Blo$e Droolz! 11.gif

----------------

On 8/24/2004 12:38:17 AM htxpert wrote:

You really must demo the new Klipsch THX Ultra II Subs

then you can love your Klipsch even more

----------------

I haven't had the pleasure of auditioning the THX Ultra 2 subs yet. I'm looking forward to it. The KSW-10 and 12's have impressed me greatly. The Ultra's are meant to be better, although it's hard to imagine how!

----------------

On 8/24/2004 10:08:30 AM Trey Cannon wrote:

They are so much better you will be out looking for a loan....
;)

----------------

Trey;

I am planning to upgrade my subwoofer before year's end. Now, the spec for the KW-120-THX is for TWO enclosures. Is there a DB rating for a SINGLE enclosure at 30 hz? What's the list for each passive enclosure? What's the list price for the amp?

I really want to stay with Klipsch instead of SVS.

Jim