Philips 963 SA

dgb

My new toy arrived yesterday! After yanking out 400 odd pound entertainment center (dumb me bough one without wheels) and getting the proper stuff in the proper place, I went about the somewhat daunting task of getting the thing set up properly. Lots of menus, lots of settings, lots of versatility. Luckily I had printed out a music direct article about set up for this unit as it's manual is very small and not terribly helpful. My Mitsubishi DVD player's manual is about 10 times the lenght of this thing. Any how, got it all set up.

Frankly, the sound of this thing is amazing. First, the FR on this thing sounds wide and flat. Super low bass, clean, crisp highs and everything in between. Second, texture. Especially on vocals. There is a real presence and power to vocals, they are also very focused. Third, the space. This is always a hard one to describe, but it has a very nice separation of instruments and sense of depth, even through lound and complex cacophonies (sp?). Really a powerful punchy player. Very different, and I think better, than the more laid back NAD 541 HDCD ($500 retail) it replaced. This is my impression after only listening to redbook CDs, and two of those were 4x dubs. Tom Petty's HDCD Anthology CD-R sounded terrific, really great. Heard sublties I've never heard on Genesis "Turn It On Again" a song I've heard probably 2000 times.

Did I tell you I got it for $235? Jump on this player, it is an absolute steal at this price, that's without even having listened to a SACD on it. That will change tonight though. :)

Only problems I have with it are

1. It's silver and looks like a great big baboon *** in my otherwise all black H/T set up.

2. The drawer is really flimsy and thin. A stiff breeze could probably snap it in half.

3. Manual sucks.

4. Probably would sound harsh (as many have noted) with cheap amplification. I have a feeling the upsampling probably increases the DR to well over 105db and could really tax an underpowered unit. However I could also be talking out my *** as I'm not sure that's the case. :)

Ok all you guys talked me into this one. I just ordered a B stock unit for $149. I figured that I'll be better off with the B stock since I'll be modding it almost as soon as I get it probably voiding the warrantee.

http://electroline4u.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/Philips_DVD763SA_Super_Audio_Capable_DVD_Player.html

This is the same company whose listings on ebay usually sell for more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61247&item=5712588456&rd=1

Rick

Rick-

Is this the Blackgate mod you are talking about? I have the 5-disc changer, 975SA, and have been very pleased with it so far. I got my factory fresh for $149+ shipping, though I can't find it on the web any longer. Do you think the 963 mod would work in my 975?

Jhawk, Yes the "Blackgate mod" but I don't know that I'll use Blackgate brand at first ($$$). I've got a ton of caps in the back room I'll try first.

Take a pic of the inside of your 975 and post it. Maybe someone who has done the power supply mod on the 963 can tell you if they are similiar.

Leo do you mean like solder a .01mF cap accross the input and 0.1mFs across the PS caps?

Rick

----------------

On 8/3/2004 9:35:53 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Ok all you guys talked me into this one. I just ordered a B stock unit for $149. I figured that I'll be better off with the B stock since I'll be modding it almost as soon as I get it probably voiding the warrantee.

Rick
---------------

What's the difference between the 763 SA that you ordered and the 963 SA in the eBay auction? Which model is best?

----------------

On 8/3/2004 10:25:00 AM Piranha wrote:

----------------

On 8/3/2004 9:35:53 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Rick
---------------

What's the difference between the 763 SA that you ordered and the 963 SA in the eBay auction? Which model is best?

----------------

Hello:

The above question is seconded.

Thanks for any replies.

dodger - this Board and the whole Net seems to be running very slow today.

Rick,

The cap mod I am refering to is the Blackgate replacement. Very effective, but not real cheap.

Leo

Also, after I found out how much distortion a good power filter eliminates, I wondered if just the AC filter would have been almost as effective.

----------------

On 8/3/2004 9:57:23 AM leok wrote:

Nice unit. I enjoy mine a lot. Giving it rf-filtered ac power makes the highs even smoother. There's also an easy power supply cap substitution for those inclined. Still, it's a fine unit stock.

Leo

----------------

Leo, I bought that Belkin unit you post the FC-950 Isolator and it did smooth out the top end on my whole setup, my Marantz SA-8260 and external DAC, jitter reducer and 300 disc changer, DVD player running off the Isolator.

----------------

On 8/3/2004 11:05:32 AM leok wrote:

Rick,

The cap mod I am refering to is the Blackgate replacement. Very effective, but not real cheap.

Leo

Also, after I found out how much distortion a good power filter eliminates, I wondered if just the AC filter would have been almost as effective.

----------------

Question about the Blackgate mod: What value volts and mf is the cap you are going to replace?

Upgraded several caps in a Marantz 2220b receiver I used to own. Used mainly Samhwas (cheaply and readily available here in S. Korea) and Nichicons here and there. Generally when I replaced a stiffener electrolytic I raised the mf value around 50% and used the highest voltage rating the physical size would permit.

Also replaced a pair of electrolytics in the amp sound path with polys. The improvement from all this was noticeably more detail and staging, cleaner highs, better transients and the elimination of popping the receiver used to have.

The 2220b sounded so good that when it was time to replace it, I sent it to my family to decide who would keep it. Couldn't bear letting it go to a stranger!

In the electrolytic world, Blackgate (see my avatar) is the top dog. If I ever decide to toy with my 2385, it will get the Blackgate$ it deserves!

The relevant part is at the bottom of this post!

----------------

On 8/3/2004 1:16:39 PM dougdrake wrote:

dgb - What is the "music direct" article you are referring to? Like you, I find my manual lacking...

DD
----------------

To get the best sound out of your brand-new Philips 963, it MUST be setup using the on-screen menus. This only needs to be done once and the 963 will hold its settings indefinitely, regardless of whether it's plugged in or not. The onscreen menus are accessed by temporarily connecting the 963 to a television with an A/V input (only the video cable which comes with the 963 needs to be connected for this setup). From there go to the Menu Bars section on page 14 of your owner's manual. This section will explain how to access the on-screen menus and adjust the 963's video and audio performance. If your only concern is audio performance, you can then skip ahead to page 18. Page 18 describes the process of setting up the Bass-Management on the 963 and Page 19 describes what the differences in the configurations are. What neither page describes is the tremendous sonic improvement when the speakers are run as "Large". The manual also doesn't specify that you need to configure BOTH the Movie and the Music modes for optimum usability (an oversight). If you have the manual or the onscreen display in front of you, here is how we recommend the 963 be set-up for use in a particular audio system:

Stereo Only: Configure the Front Speakers for "L" or Large speakers and simply turn off all the other speakers. (Both Music AND Movies)

NOTE: In our listening tests the Front Left and Right outputs from the multi-channel section sound enormously better in stereo than the standard audio outputs! You should use the multi-channel L & R outputs, even if you don't ever plan to have a multi-channel system.

Multichannel/Stereo Audio Use: Configure ALL speakers for "L" or Large speakers. Also, you will need to connect all 6 multi-channel outputs to the 6 channel inputs on your multi-channel capable pre-amp or receiver.

NOTE: On CDs only, the 963 will output only the 2 channels that are encoded on the disc. Multi-channel users should note that this means CDs will be presented in Stereo, although you will still be able to access up-sampling.

Please don't hesitate to call us at (800) 449-8333 if you need help or have additional questions!

----------------

On 8/3/2004 12:22:39 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Piranha,

Thanks for picking up on that!!! In my excitement I didn't even notice the different number 753v953. I cancelled that order.
1.gif

I'll go for the ebay unit!

Rick
----------------

NP Rick. Always happy to help. Someone did the same thing for me once before and I was really grateful. Wasn't it you?

I think it's critical to get the speaker size correct or you lose a lot of the bass. If you only have two speakers, you also need to have some other settings done as well. So, yea.
:)

----------------

On 8/3/2004 8:40:58 PM tillmbil wrote:

DGB, I have a 963sa but lost my remote and directions somehow when I bought mine new and have yet to get around to ordering another one. So I should pay the $60 to do the setup on screen for better sound? It is used in my HT setup at this time.
----------------

Never could bring myself to shell out a couple hundred bucks for power supply stuff. I have an old surge protector on, that's about it. I have noticed a lot more noise in the line since we moved a mini-fridge down to the basement however.

What is this blackgate mod? How much and how difficult?

----------------

On 8/3/2004 9:57:23 AM leok wrote:

Nice unit. I enjoy mine a lot. Giving it rf-filtered ac power makes the highs even smoother. There's also an easy power supply cap substitution for those inclined. Still, it's a fine unit stock.

Leo
----------------

Klipsch RF7

Glad the Belkin worked out. It's cost effective and does a good job.

krustyoldsarge

The cap that comes out is a 150uF 200V. The Blackgate is a 150uF 350V.

dgb

Blackgate mod is reasonably easy for people comfortable with careful thru-hole solder work. There is a thread on this site .. problem is I don't know where it is. If I find it I'll place the link here. The directions were good. I can't remember the cap cost, but it was enough so I knew almost no manufacturer would ever use it stock.

Leo