HK receivers

audiobliss

I recently purchased the HK AVR130 receiver. The receiver sounds great. It's the entry level model in their current lineup. I do have one issue that may seem nitpicky to some but it is quite annoying to me. Whenever I listen to a cd it seems to cut off the first few seconds of a song. It doesn't just do it on the first track, it seems to do it on most of them. It's like it's slow to recognize a digital signal. Has anybody elsed noticed this? It's annoying enough for me to want to return it. Also, do you think it's a problem with just this model? I was thinking of returning it and getting the 230 model to see if that would make a difference or is this just a problem with all HK receivers in general? I have not seen anyone else mention this but it's quite noticeable to me. Let me know what you guys think.

I think this is an issue w/all x30 models,and some other brands for that matter.You can search hometheaterforum.com,avs forum.com and maybe get a wider variety of views.If thats your only complaint w/HK I would not return it.

The thing won't play a CD without chopping off the first few seconds of every track? That thing would go through the window of the store I bought it from if they wouldn't replace it.

My HK DVD player has spasms where it won't recognize "Region 1" coded DVDs, and refuses to play them. Same DVD, same player, a week or two later and everything's okie-dokie.

I've heard all I need to to know that HK is headed down the tubes as far as quality/reliability is concerned. There was a time when I REALLY respected HK. Now, too much of the product line is made in Communist China.

Guest Anonymous

moving to the 230 would be a good choice but not to fix your problem it actually sounds considiberaly better than the 130 as far as output, i have worked a lot with the the newest hk models and none of the ones i have used have had any problems that you speak of... the only consistently problematic probelm i have seen with the newest line from hk is that horrid dpr1001 that thing is just absolute trash. if i look at one of those things the wrong way the channels will blow

I'm using an optical cable. I tried analog but optical seems to sound better. But, I have not tested the analog output to see if it chops off the beginning of the track or not like the optical connect does. I have a dedicated cd player and it does not have a coax out. But, my dvd player does so maybe I will try listening to a cd through coax on the dvd player to see if it does the same thing.

Okeedokeee....I'm not real familiar with all models of HK's but this is what I found out on my HK system...

I have one of the top of the line HK7200's (which is awesome and I wouldn't trade it for the world) but.... When I first put a CD into my player, I lose the first one to two seconds as well (which it talked about in my manual).

Basically, since the HK can automatically chose the surround mode, it uses the first portion of the CD to determine the best surround format to play it in UNLESS it has already been selected by you. In other words, I only see this happen if I've been watching a DVD and then change things over to CD. The HK was last in Pro Logic movie mode and now has to switch over to the newer mode so it spends the first second or two reading the so-called "file input" format.

Try this.... Once the CD skips the first couple of seconds and then the song comes in, press the << on your remote to get the song to start over. At that point, it SHOULDN'T skip the first part. ....and.... it shouldn't be skipping the first part of every song. Only if you've been playing something else previously. It will pick a different setting if you have a CD and something different if you have an SACD, etc....

If things still ain't right, call HK. You pay for the long distance call but they were Suuuuuuuper helpful on the phone with me. The technician knew exactly how to solve my other problem(and it was my fault).

Hope that helps....

Duh.......sorry but I just went back and re-read your thread. If it's doing it on more than one track, something sounds wrong.... I would call HK (The number's on their website). It's worth $2 or $3 for the call if it will keep you from having to return a good piece of equipment....

sorry to steal the thread

DA1984, im seriously considering the 330 for my speakers (RSX's) Do you recommend it? I would just get the 230, but I want 7.1 so I can upgrade to the RVX52s when they come out and keep my other 5 speakers.

My AVR 525 does the same thing...but if it does it for every song, it's the way the CD is mastered (with no-signal gaps between songs). I use my audiotron now, and there is about a 1/4 second gap at the beginning of the first song, and nothing after that. It's just something I've gotten used to, especially since the darn thing sounds so great.

Anyway, I didn't see anything about a download to fix this on Harman's web site. Could whoever posted this send me a link? thx

007, To me the HK 330 sounds great, and as a matter of fact I'm using the RSX-5's as rear surrounds and although I have to turn them way down, I think it is a good setup. They actually totally overpower my current floorstanding speakers which are not Klipsch. By the way, find a good price because the HK330 can be had on the cheap, got mine for around $450 when it came out, Im sure you can find it for $400 or better.

----------------

On 8/4/2004 12:16:06 PM endover wrote:

Okeedokeee....I'm not real familiar with all models of HK's but this is what I found out on my HK system...

I have one of the top of the line HK7200's (which is awesome and I wouldn't trade it for the world) but.... When I first put a CD into my player, I lose the first one to two seconds as well (which it talked about in my manual).

Basically, since the HK can automatically chose the surround mode, it uses the first portion of the CD to determine the best surround format to play it in UNLESS it has already been selected by you. In other words, I only see this happen if I've been watching a DVD and then change things over to CD. The HK was last in Pro Logic movie mode and now has to switch over to the newer mode so it spends the first second or two reading the so-called "file input" format.

Try this.... Once the CD skips the first couple of seconds and then the song comes in, press the << on your remote to get the song to start over. At that point, it SHOULDN'T skip the first part. ....and.... it shouldn't be skipping the first part of every song. Only if you've been playing something else previously. It will pick a different setting if you have a CD and something different if you have an SACD, etc....

If things still ain't right, call HK. You pay for the long distance call but they were Suuuuuuuper helpful on the phone with me. The technician knew exactly how to solve my other problem(and it was my fault).

Hope that helps....

----------------

This guy is completely right. I have the AVR630 and this is my solution to the problem. Does not happen on every track.