Way OT: Car seats, warranties

fini

We have a 1998 Toyota Sienna van (with a nice stereo...so I can post this in an audio forum1.gif), and a part in the underpinnings of the drivers seat has broken (not due to any violent trauma, like an accident), causing it to behave somewhat like a rocking chair. My wife took it in to the dealer, and they informed her it was VERY dangerous as-is, and recomended replacement of the entire seat (an over-$600 job!). I'm wondering if this could be considered a covered item, even though the standard warranty has long passed. The guy in the parts department was VERY familiar with this problem.

Anyone know about this stuff? Geeze, I'd rather spend $600 on a good tube amp!

Fini---The car is six years old, I wouldn't fix it and I doubt Toyota will, they certainly don't have to anyway, not unless your warranty is still in force, which I doubt.

But hector the guy, ya never know. Sometimes carmakers have bulletins on problem areas and will fix them for free or for a reduced rate. Inquire.

It's hard to see under there, but basically, there's a metal plate through which a horizontal (side-to-side) bar passes. The plate (attached to the seat) snapped, at the bar. Seems it shouldn't have snapped.

Fini, would it be possible for you to locate a replacement seat at a auto junkyard for a substantially lower cost than from the dealer. Perhaps a variety of years may work depending on when the Sienna went through makeovers. Call a auto salvage yard in your area, if they do not have one they can search a database and locate you one in the color that you need. Just a thought.

Check the NHSTA website and edmunds and other recall sites sites...

check to see if this is a known problem....if it is...you might be ablke to sweet talk dealer into making it a warranty fix....but I mean sweet talk....hehehehe

Well, I called Toyota headquarters this morning. They checked, and found the part(seat) is indeed out of warranty (3 years), but as a courtesy, will reimburse future dealer service up to $150. That, along with the $50 off parts coupon will make it a little easier to stomach. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to check out salvage yards, especially given the safety nature of this problem. Good suggestion, though, Charles (as well as those of others--thanks)!

If it were me, I would weld it, as I have done a lot of welding. I would not do it for a friend however, as there is always a liability, in the off chance that something go wrong, especially in the event of a collision. When you are talking about safety items, it stands to reason that these items need to be addressed right away.

I checked our Alldata system, no TSB's on it as of our current quarterly release. Then I called our Toyota factory parts supplier, we spend a lot with him and he's usually willing to give me the skinney on stuff, no bulletins, no campaigns, no fuzzy history of failures. Looks like it's a freak failure, though there may be another 6 or 10 across the country, not enough for Toyota to make a file on it.

I'm with Mike Hurd, get it welded if you can find someone to do it. We won't do ANY modifications on seats or seatbelt systems here at the shop, that pesky liability deal, but then again, we aren't professional welders. For the price, it may be worthwhile to just pay Toyota and take advantage of whatever deal they will give you on it.

Good luck!

p.s. fini, our supplier is a main Toyota factory warehouse for the 5 state region, and he'd never sold a seat frame for your Sienna. Odd that your local dealer parts guy would be, as you put it, VERY familiar with the problem. Go figure, maybe they just have more Siennas there?

Fini,

My daughter's the primary driver of our '98 Sienna. She only weighs about 100lbs but it'll probably break next week now that you jinxed me.6.gif

I always have trouble getting the middle seats to lock in place. Does that happened in yours also?

Gary,

Do you mean when replacing seats you've removed, or when adjusting them front to back? I never sit back there in ours, and never hear the kids complaining. About that.

Gary, there is a bulletin out for rear seats that are difficult to remove or install. Seems there is a replacement leg that is supposed to rectify the situation. They covered it under the 3/36 warranty, which is over, but you could still check into it, maybe it's a cheap fix. Ask your dealer to refer to bulliten # BO024-01.

----------------

On 8/4/2004 9:33:10 AM fini wrote:

Well, I called Toyota headquarters this morning. They checked, and found the part(seat) is indeed out of warranty (3 years), but as a courtesy, will reimburse future dealer service up to $150. That, along with the $50 off parts coupon will make it a little easier to stomach. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to check out salvage yards, especially given the safety nature of this problem. Good suggestion, though, Charles (as well as those of others--thanks)!

----------------

Was this easy to get Toyota to help you? I have a 2002 Camry SE and I just had a crap load of stuff go wrong with this car in the past month.(Rear bearing failed($450 part) , 3rd aliment since I bought the car, and the glass in the power window rubbing) I drive a lot and the car has over 70K miles on it. The north Atlanta dealer would not lift a finger to help with my issues. We have had over $2200 in maintenance in the past 18 months with this dealer on all 5 Toyotas we own. Also we purchased 2 cars from them in the past 2 years. Do you happen to Toyota's phone number?