Lookin to take the seperates plunge

Skidmarks

Ive been looking and learning about going with seperates this year, the hard part is finding available demo places. I have about 2, in my area, and its hard to get an honest answer about a product they dont carry. Both dealers did nothing but rag on Aragon amps.

Mccintosh , seems to be the brand carried by the 2 in my area, along with Lexicon, and a few others. I dont know if Im going that hard core , I have an oportunity to listen to some B/K also, but then again all these demos will sound totally different without my speakers.(RF7s) None of these dealers carry Klipsch speakers. I dont think I saw a speaker in the place under $5000 each. Its to the point now where if I cant hear how something sounds on my speakers it almost seems useless.

Just a bit frustrated , if anyone else has been through this sort of thing please share your ideas.

Sometimes you have to rely on others reviews on components because certain items are not always going to be available to demo. The B&K Ref 50/200.7 combo will sound real good with RF-7's that much I can tell you. Another real good combo is the NAD T163/973 setup it is not as expensive as the B&K setup but sounds just as good if not better in some areas and you don't have the annoying clicking relays like the Ref 50. I had to buy blind, I got my units from an authorized dealer but they were not in stock and had to be ordered and I did not get to demo them in the store which is somewhat pointless as it is not going to sound anywhere close to your living room.

Skid:

What other speakers are you running besides your RF-7s? I assume you probably have at least a RC-7 as well as at least one other speaker that runs a titanium horn/tweeter. (i.e. a surround or other center). You may want to make advance arrangements with your local dealers to bring in your smaller Klipsch speakers to audition them on their pre/pro and amps. At least that way you get an idea of how the separates sound with your horns, especially since the RC-7 and RF-7s run the same horn. I had three dealers in my area that were more than happy to make special arrangements. After all, these dealers have the prospect that you may be spending money with them, and they have to know that your Reference speakers are very different-sounding that what they carry.

I took a RC-7 and a RB-75 with me to demo land, setting both on stands available at the dealers. Not only were the RC-7 and RB-75 able to give me a fair representation of what I would be hearing with my RF-7s relative to the highs and midrange, they were also able to project the soundstage and richness of each pre-pro/amp combo. They also withstood a lot of punch from a variety of amps, including a B&K 200.5. In the long run, your own ears will be your best guide. Would your speakers sound a bit different in the store (vs your own home). Sure. However, there are certain sound characteristics that are immediately apparent, no matter the surroundings. I would not call my experience "pointless" since there were more similarities than differences, once I purchased the equipment and listened to it in my own home.

Absent that, you just have to trust what we are all mumbling about and purchase blind.

Carl.

I just started down the separates road after a bunch of auditions (a couple at home using my speakers, and a few elsewhere). I got a B&K ST-2020 150WPC amp (circa 1996) off audiogon and I am very impressed with the difference it made. The instrument separation is better, the sounds are more defined, and the intense rock or classical passages no longer appear as much, since before all the sounds tended to blend together. And another immense change I noticed was in the fact that all the previously perceived harshness in the sound of my RF-3IIs was gone. Furthermore, the midrange gained a certain lusciousness that I cannot really describe, but which makes vocals come alive. I do not know whether it's the fact that I moved to an offboard amp, or the amp itself, but based on my limited experience with B&K (including a couple of calls to customer service) I would highly recommend them.

I think my next question would be , how willing have the dealers been to let us audition thier equipment. I am willing to spend the money on the right equipment, but I still dont see the shot in the dark thing working for me right now.

Today I demoed a Mccintosh all in one piece. Im sure some of you who know more about Mccintosh know the unit. It is a huge piece of equipment, of course the Amp is combined with the receiver, for I believe a 5.1 system.

$6000.