Is This a Logical Way to Build Up a System

thebes

To me it seems like, I've been going off in 10 directions at once in trying to build up my new 2 channel system. My HT system followed a fairly straightforward progresion and worked out fine.

Here's mostly the way I've gone about it so far. Tried to do this in a fairly logical way but I've reached a point where I'm wondering which step to take next or if I should have done it differently.

Anything missing, should I change the order? I know this may seem kinda basic, but when I think about the dough and time involved a simple guideline might be in order.

1. Speakers (done)

2. Amp/Receiver (Scott 299 being rebuilt by Craig)

3. Room (done what I can)

4. Decent wiring and interconnects (done)

5. Minor tweeks (partly done)

6. Line Conditioner (done-thanks Leo)

7. Source (not done)

8. Updgraded Crossovers (not done)

9. Fancy Interconnects (undecided on weather it's needed)

10. Start all over again!

PS. Not trying to start up the interconnect battle just not personaly sure yet.

I'd take care of your source(s) before I started tweaking amp and speakers. Get a good reference going, then play around with subtle changes so you can realistically decide whether you like it with the sources you are settled on, rather than having to match a source unit (whether CD/SACD, TT, or whatever else) to the already modded output equipment.

With high quality, conditioned caps in the crossover you can more clearly hear any improvements in the sources. Both are expensive and require research (what cd player? PIO or Poly caps? etc). I guess your order is excellent. No matter how you do it it's a bootstrap operation.

Leo

Sources

Craog hates it when I say it.

But

try an outboard DAC used

The pioneer is most likely a very adequate transport. CD upsampling makes snare cymbals and many orchestra instruments sound more real like alnalog.

A MMF5 or MMF 7 TT would be a nice source; at your age of 54 there may be some fine thrift shop vinyl that meets your taste.

GOOD LUCK

Rick