Good recording - great sound. Bad recording ...

bbbdave

Hey Guys

I have a pair of '78 Heresy's and a KSW-12 sub. Now don't get me wrong - I love my Heresy's ( most of the time.. ). But it's been bothering me for a while now that when I play a well recorded program, the speakers are amazing and when I play a lesser quality recording, the speakers seem to make it even worse - at least worse than I remember when I was using JBLs. Now perhaps it's just that the Heresy's leave nothing to the imagination or maybe they really do accentuate the negative ? Or maybe I just need to stick to the better recordings and say goodbye to Van Halen ? What do you guys think ?

Also - assuming I don't have space for La Scalas, how do I get better bass response without using a subwoofer ? I'm not particularly fond of the sub.

Sign me: "Trying hard not to buy those JBLs."

Thanks,

Dave

It's no illusion, and it's an unfortunate side effect of having really clean drivers.

What you're really hearing is the garbage in the recording. The JBLs (I had L100's, *snore*) are not letting as much thruggh as the K's.

A great upgrade always does that "THe good sound better, the bad sound worse!" bit ;o)

I find myself listening only to well recorded music these days. It's unfortunate actually. What I need is a really blaah system to play all those old R&R cd's that I used to listen to, and try not to pay attention to the sound quality, only the music.

Greg

I have never listened to a pair of Fortes, but believe me, with a good sub (either an SVS or a Sunfire model) the Heresy are a real killer combo. You get a lot of the Khorn sound for relatively little money, plus you don't need two corners. If I were to start this hobby again, this would most likely be the way I'd follow 2.gif .

And yes, Klipsch speakers (at least the Heritage ones I know) are revealing, but a lot can be achieved with the proper gear to drive them. I have found that the 'better' my amps/sources have become, the more I get out of even so-called 'poor' recordings.

Wolfram

I would have to say that if your equipment is transparent and top notch from source to speakers then a bad recording should sound very bad. If it doesn't then what is happening with great recordings ? Seems pretty straight forward and obvious to me.

Craig

Thanks for the info Guys.

I've been eyeballin' this sub for a little while now. Never truly liked it. I once had a passive JBL sub that I liked better ! Anyway, I'll take a look around. For your info I run these speakers with an H-K AVR20 used as a preamp and an H-K PA2000 amp. It's hot and a bit edgy due to what I feel is an exaggerated mid frequency hump in the H-K gear. I bought this when my old Adcom system bit the big one. I didn't care for the new Adcom stuff. I've been building a tube amp to try someday ( when I finish it... ).

Thanks again for your help.

Dave

The KSW is not a very loud sub. I've got one with my Cornwalls and you can barely hear it. It'll make a better match for my ksb1.1 mini system in the bedroom. Think I'll hook up my pair of JBL 4645's (single 18", -3@ 22Hz) with my QSC or Crown amp. THAT SHOULD DO IT!

Yeah, the unfortunate side effect of having detailed speakers is that you hear all the junk on modern recordings. The overuse of delay, echo, compression, etc. is horrible! 70's rock is best. The engineers used to mic John Bonham's drums with only 3 carefully placed mics! Now THAT is engineering.

Michael

Hey Guys

I have a pair of '78 Heresy's and a KSW-12 sub. Now don't get me wrong - I love my Heresy's ( most of the time.. ). But it's been bothering me for a while now that when I play a well recorded program, the speakers are amazing and when I play a lesser quality recording, the speakers seem to make it even worse - at least worse than I remember when I was using JBLs. Now perhaps it's just that the Heresy's leave nothing to the imagination or maybe they really do accentuate the negative ? Or maybe I just need to stick to the better recordings and say goodbye to Van Halen ? What do you guys think ?

Also - assuming I don't have space for La Scalas, how do I get better bass response without using a subwoofer ? I'm not particularly fond of the sub.

Sign me: "Trying hard not to buy those JBLs."

Thanks,

Dave

GIGO

Free advice for a good way to enjoy bad recordings:

The smooth, mellow, laid-back British Monitor sound (sooo popular in the 1970's, at least where I grew up) will go a long way towards rendering harsh, compressed, "pop", and other poor recordings (or poor transcriptions) enjoyable. At my house, the foils for my Cornwalls are a pair of IMF "Super Compacts". These transmission-line loaded speakers are as warm, smooth, and sumptious as you could want when listening to really ragged stuff. It's a polite sound, to be sure, but pleasant for extended listening of (donning Nomex suit now) "Abba Gold" on CD (hey, it's my wife's, not mine... really...)

KEF, Rogers, and Spendor are other British loudspeaker manufacturers (past and present) which come to mind.

That is the point of the British speakers, all right.

But that is not only a real distortion of the signal, but its also a real "coloration", isn't it?

Wow: distortion, compression, and coloration...sign me up!

Just kidding. The correct answer is: HORNS!

DM2.gif

Thanks for the advice. The only British speakers I've ever even considered ( no offense ) were some Celestions ( were they British ??? )back in the 70's. And I think that was because they looked cool ! I guess if I do decide to have 2 sets in the house I'm still leaning towards vintage JBL or Altecs. I like that "California" sound. Still a bit in your face, aren't they ?

P.S. - thanks for the "GIGO's". Made perfect sense once I figured out what it meant ( Being a "newbie" and all... )

Dave1.gif

It's kinda funny...

I've done an incredible amount of mixing work on my JBL S38's - why? Because 99.99% of the people that listen to my mixes aren't going to hear what those JBL's mask in my mix.

I guess I oughtta send all the K-Horn owners a CD so they can tell me what's really messed up in my compositions, since neither I nor anyone else who's listened to my personal work can tell me what's wrong with it 9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

I like that "California" sound. Still a bit in your face, aren't they ?

----------------

Well, I believe it's the
in your face
that causes the trouble with 'bad' recordings. I still stick by my "British monitor" recommendations. The sound may be colored, but it'll sure be pleasant. Considering I got my IMF Super Compacts and my KEF C20's for free, and they're small, they're good to have around when we play the really harsh, bright stuff.

Hmm, maybe the Heresys could be toned down by stuffing some fine silk lingerie into the horns... oops, my mind is wandering...

Mark, I replaced my KEF model 4's with homemade corner horns because there was something missing with the KEFS that made me actually miss the "Klones" that I had years ago. The big KEFs were fine in an apartment as I never turned them up very much (the polite thing). But now that I have a house, the KEF's now need to go bye-bye as they cannot hold a candle in comparison. I really had no idea as to what I was missing until the horns...

The DYNAMICS of horns, dude, the DYNAMICS. Combine that with the soundstage that you are used to...and now you're talking!

DM2.gif

Yeah, I know what horns are for (trust me)!

But go back and look at the original post. I can sympathize.

I have the same reaction to most 'pop' music I've heard reproduced on Lowthers (in several different kinds of enclosures). Ear-piercing. I guess I haven't lost enough HF hearing yet to take that!

Them KEF's and IMF's is smooth like buttah. There IS a place for that (yeah, yeah, listening to Kenny G... I know, I know).

Hi Guys

I truly appreciate the feedback and advise left by all. I also appreciate the kind and professional manner in which it was left. On this note - I'm staying with the Heresys and not purchasing the JBL's ( at least not today - maybe tomorrow because I'm just like that ).

I was just reading another thread regarding some poor guys questions for an amp to power his CWs. The discussion (?) got way out of control. Sad to see for those of us who are new and only want some advice from you who are experienced. Anyway, it did seem to calm down after a while and I was happy to see that. Again, being "new" I found everyone's ideas pretty neat and I think everyone should be invited to express their thoughts without the hostility. ( Thanks for letting me say this and I hope it doesn't bring hostility my way ! )

Best regards,

Dave