Cincy Bengals training camp

Coytee

Drove to Ohio Friday so on way home, stopped by Georgetown to see the Bengals intersquad scrimmage.

Camp is at Georgetown College (if I recall name right)

Prior to festivities starting, I noticed the music playing and became curious. soooooooooo, I put the binocs over in the direction of the scoreboard and just imagine WHO'S stuff was pumping the stadium with sounds??

Klipsch!

I have no idea of the model numbers as I was easily 70 yards away. It was obviouisly outdoor/industrial stuff. Each bass box seemed to be perhaps 1 1/2 feet by perhaps 2'. There were two of them side by side under the scoreboard. On TOP of the scoreboard, was three tweeters/squawkers or what ever.

As I sat there, the clear thought went through me that the sound seemed to be like more of a (quality) transistor radio, than the "big sound" I'm accustomed to hearing with my LaScallas. I just presumed they bought too small of setup for the stadium. After all, it's a small school...budgetary constraints, perhaps lack of knowledge...

Then... they turned them up

9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

On 8/7/2004 10:26:34 AM Piranha wrote:

Did you see Carson Palmer?

----------------

Yep. I went to the morning practice session, when it was over, drove onto Cincy area to have lunch at my favorite pizza joint!

Something I found interesting later that night, on my way south, when I stopped to watch the scrimmage, during some of the plays, Palmer was throwing the ball and maybe ran once/twice.

When Kitna came in, I noticed him toss to his running back behind line of scrimmage. Perhaps it was a planned play but it just struck me as reason #145 why Palmer might be given a chance.

I guess I'm just sensative having grown up with Anderson's bombs, Blakes rainbows...and to watch Kitna seem to throw more times than not on a (perceived) dump pass... sigh.

Something else , during morning practice, I was standing there with crowd. Some players were warming up/standing literally 15 feet in front of us. One of these offensive numbered guys (87) was a MONSTER. I mean, I just looked at him and knew he was wearing pads, cause he didn't want ANY of my wrath!! 9.gif

About that time that I was wondering who this un-human chisleled stud was.. so was the guy next to me. He asked his buddy, turns out it was Kelley Washington. Lemme tell ya, he is one CHISLED and BIG dude.

Started to watch him too... I'm no guru, but I'd bet a juicy steak dinner that Mr. Washington is going to be an awesome receiver (barring any injuries).

I couldn't care less about the Bengals, but Palmer should develop into a fine pro QB. Especially if he gets protection and doesn't get injured. The guy has all the tools. I went to a lot of his games and saw him develop into the best QB that has ever come out of USC.

That is my unfortunate predicament as well: 20 minutes from Georgetown College and no real interest in the Bengals. It is cool to see the players around town and have a beer with them - actually going to a dinner with the players in the next week or so - but its the Bengals. Unfortunately my team, the Dolphins, are 1000 miles away and have had the worst offseason of any franchise in history. The Bengals may become more interesting.

Anarchist-

In more ways than just football too. My boss' husband is an attorney (Todd B. Portune, Esq.) and one of three County Commissioners (Hamilton Co.) that has filed a $600 million lawsuit against the Bengals (and owner Mike Brown) and the whole NFL.

It's an anti-trust suit that pretty much says that the Bengals used their "power of monopoly" to persuade the taxpayers of Cincinnati and the surrounding counties to build them a new stadium free of charge (to the team) in order to be competetive. This is when the team was posting record profits regardless of having a losing team. The NFL was in on it too using Cincinnati as a test bed to see if it would work for other cities having NFL teams.

Here's the address from The Cincinnati Post: (copy and paste)

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/08/04/stad080404.html

----------------

On 8/8/2004 12:40:15 PM Anarchist wrote:

It is cool to see the players around town and have a beer with them - actually going to a dinner with the players in the next week or so - but its the Bengals.

----------------

Why go then? Give your invitation to someone who would really appreciate it. Like ME. I've been a Bengals fan since I started watching football around 1988. They are going to be great again this year.

Member above that posted about Kelley Washington. He played down in Tennessee and is one heck of a talent. He is my #1 player to watch, especially after he makes his 3rd down catches to get 1st down and gives the hand signal :)

----------------

On 8/8/2004 7:46:18 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

Anarchist-

In more ways than just football too. My boss' husband is an attorney (Todd B. Portune, Esq.) and one of three County Commissioners (Hamilton Co.) that has filed a $600 million lawsuit against the Bengals (and owner Mike Brown) and the whole NFL.

It's an anti-trust suit that pretty much says that the Bengals used their "power of monopoly" to persuade the taxpayers of Cincinnati and the surrounding counties to build them a new stadium free of charge (to the team) in order to be competetive. This is when the team was posting record profits regardless of having a losing team. The NFL was in on it too using Cincinnati as a test bed to see if it would work for other cities having NFL teams.

Here's the address from The Cincinnati Post: (copy and paste)

----------------

Glad to see someone's standing up to these sports tycoons trying, and often succeeding, in extorting money out of the taxpayers' pockets with their thinly veiled threats.

A similar thing happened here in WNY with the Buffalo Bills. They made a subtle threat to move the team to Toronto (or elsewhere) unless the state/county/city coughed up some big bucks. Unfortunately, Gov. Pataki knuckled under, gave 'em a truckload of OUR money, and somehow neglected to secure any reasonable guarantee from management that the team would actually stay in Buffalo. Not to mention the little fact that team owner Ralph Wilson has made MILLIONS off this franchise, and it remains very profitable and popular. Oh, and in thanks for his 'dedication' to the Buffalo area and the fans by shamelessly accepting this taxpayer dole-out, they renamed the stadium for him! 6.gif

Considering how ineptly the team has been managed since the Superbowl debacles of the early 90's, probably the best thing to have done was let 'em leave, and for once actually SAVE some taxpayer money! 7.gif