Cornwall II suggestions for amp

Danny,

Let Craig check out your amp and see what he thinks.

You room is big, so you don't want a SET. It will handle 90% of your listening, but you won't be able to crank it up.

I am using Nosvalves VRD PP amps. This is my first PP amp and I am happy as hell with them. I can't compare them with any other PP, but so far they handle every kind of music I put on.

Today I am using an Audible Illusions M3A preamp. I am waiting on my Peach to arrive,hopfully today or Tuesday.

My speakers have plenty of bass, even when I was using my SET amps. You will get there.

Danny

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a VERY good pre.

I bought it new in March. I was using it with my Wrights with no problem.

My problem with it is that when using Hi gain amps I have no control with volume. If I have the volume on the 9 oclock postion it will blow you out of the room. If you move it down one position its not loud enough.

AI will do a mod for $250 (or so I read over on AA). I have sent them 5 emails and they never reply. If I call, they are never there.

I ended up getting 6dB pads from parts express for $26. They help, but it just chaps my butt that I'm having to use a $13 pad on the end of a $1,500 IC.

When I complete my new den I am going to take my existing setup and move it in there. I will then use the AI and Wrights with a pair of Heresy's.

Unless someone wants a killer deal on an AI pre. Bought new in March for $1,900 will sell for $1,500 and throw in a pair of 6dB pads.

Danny

Piranha,

I am using the following:

Heart 6000 CD player with Telefunken Gold Pins 6922 tubes

1978 Cornwalls

VRD amps with stock tubes

Waiting on the Peach

All IC's Nordost Quattro Fil

FIM880 AC Outlets

Speaker wire HD knock off Monster Cable. Some to be replaced with DH Labs Silver Sonic T-10

Danny

How does the Scott 299D compare against Dyn MK IV's or EICO HF-81; providing all have been appropriately modified and upgraded with premium NOS tubes????

Scott, 35+W, HF-81's 14W and the MK IV's somewhere in the 60W ultralinear or 30W triode if I remember correctly. For your room either a Scott 299 C or D or the Dynaco MK IV. The Dynaco would give you more options and GaryM could chime in with his comments on Craig's improvements to the MK III's. III's and IV as held in high regard once they have had lots of changes made to them. When done, they only resemble their original status in looks. The more power you have the more ability to fill your large room when you want to turn it up.

"Here are my answers:

1. My room is really an enclosed patio and it is huge at 37ft x 25ft. The speakers are in the corners (toed in) on the long side. I might try placing them in the corners of the shorter side, perhaps the stereo soundfield might be a little better, although they don't sound bad where they are. The layout of my furniture makes it better for the current placement. Ideally, one day I'll add another pair of Cornwalls and have one in every corner. The ceiling is low at 7ft 3" and covered with popcorn.

2. I listen to many types of music, including lots of jazz, r&b, rock, reggae, world. I like to crank the volume when people come over.

3. Re: integrated or separate, I'm open. I really just want the best sound.

4. If a preamp, I would like suggestions.

5. I mainly listen to cd's, though I have lots of old vinyl that I'd love to rediscover with my Cornwalls. "

Take one decent used preamp and couple it to a high output amplifier and call me in the morning.

2.gif

My personal recommendation for your size, space and genre - a professional power amplifier that is fan cooled, tough as nails and won't distort when driven to high levels, and your friends can pour beer on them as long as they want. Crown ce1000 - $ 449.00 at parts express, Qsc rmx850 - $ 299.00 at parts express.

• 4 weeks later...

I would stick with the Jolida and buy a subwoofer. I've own two pairs of Cornwalls and they are very revealing speakers. They don't produce great bass. They are said to go 38hz but I doubt it. A sub will fill the bottom on and give you what you want. I would never own a system without a subwoofer. I had for many years and when I finally bought a sub I was floored.

Greetings,

Some time ago I had a pair of Dynaco M3 monoblocks which were set up for 6550s; however, it was a relatively simple matter for me to substitute KT90s to change the overall sound. (Of course I recommend having a competent tech adjust your bias settings if you do this!)

I found that the 6550 had more of a blunt, even-keel, yet very pleasing sound whereas the KT90 was somewhat "scooped" in the midrange and seemed more extended in the bass. This quality could give you the *illusion* of more bass - not necessarily by adding it but by changing the bass/midrange ratio to favor it. (You can also accomplish this to some extent by changing the brand of your preamp tubes - each brand seems to have it's own tonal signature - I've been well pleased by the new "Mullard-style" 12AX7M from Groove Tubes; this might be a less expensive first step to try...)

I just looked and saw a matched quad of Ei KT90s sell on eBay for about $110, so it's a relatively cheap experiment - compared with purchasing all new equipment! 2.gif

At any rate, I hope this helps...

Take care,

Scott