Recommend me a solid-state preamp

meuge

My system currently consists of a pair of RF-3IIs, a Pioneer VSX-811S used as a pre/pro and a B&K ST-2020 amp. I'm looking to acquire a good preamp for the least possible amount of money (<$400 - so I obviously have to buy used). I would also be OK with a pre/pro as opposed to a dedicated preamp, because otherwise i still need to use the DACs from the Pioneer (the pre/pro would have to have 24/96 DACs or even 24/192).

P.S. I would prefer the preamp to have a remote and I dream of it having balanced outputs, but I would readily sacrifice these things for better audio quality at a lower price. (Balanced outputs can go with a shrug, but I'd shed a tear for a remote).

P.P.S. I'll also take suggestions for tubes, but I know nothing about tubes, and have a solid-state amp, so I have mixed feelings about them.

Thanks

The Dynaco PAT-5 is a well regarded SS preamp. I used to own and was pleased with it. Alas, no remote, but it won't hurt your budget much.

If you are open to recommendations to a tube preamp, there are some good options out there. To my understanding, a tube preamp and SS power amp combination would bring more of the tube sound to your system than an SS preamp and tube power amp.

Adcom GFP-555, Adcom GFP-565. I have the Adcom GFP-555 and my buddy has the 565. After hearing his setup I found a 555 cheap ($125.00) on Audiogon and scooped it up and I am very happy with it.

I have owned other preamps and like this one the best. I had a Dynaco PAS2 and Dynaco PAS3 and was constantly fussing with both of them until I finally sold them. You just plug in the Adcom and thats it. And believe it or not, I like the sound much better than the Dynacos. Its much cleaner.

I have an Adcom GFP-565. Very nice. I have considered buying an Aragon 24K, but no longer. I went to an Aragon Stage One. The '565 is now my phono preamp.

Aragon 28K is currently getting blown out the doors at 1/2 retail. Supplies low at Audio Advisor. Move quickly.