The Peach Arrives

joshnich

Well a week later and a distance of 200 and some odd miles with the amp traveling at least 4 times that!, my Peach arrived. Dee you were right the thing was packed up tighter than a drum. Very impressive.

It is rare in todays world that something exceeds expectations. I have to say that Marks labor of love does!

My initial impressions are that this is one fantastic piece of equipment that matches up extremely well with my components. The quality of construction is spectacular. The switches and dials are obviously top drawer. And one look inside confirms that care has been taken.

I for one love the cabinet. I dont know if the two tone is standard but it looks great on unit #1. Also, no offense to Marks photographer, but the unit is way cooler to look at than the photos would indicate. I had always thought that the design was a little off as depicted by the photos - but in person nothing could be further off base. This is one unique cool looking piece of gear! It sits real nice with my clearaudio champion, Wright phono stage and McIntosh power amps. All of which I think are as nice to look at as they are to listen to.

Anyway the sound....A little background. I have been searching for a pre amp to go with my MC - 225s. I bought a MX110, borrowed a C22, owned a Cary SLP 88, borrowed a VTL and an AES, and used the preamp section of a Mac 6100. None of them made the Macs sing like the Peach. I wish I were better with words to describe the sound. The best word I think is liquid. The music is liquid with much more clarity and depth. This is my initial impression I am looking forward to hearing my record collection all over again!

Thanks Mark

josh

I am in no way taking anything away from a JUCY MUSIC product, I would have bought a blueberry myself if I could have afforded one, but I have to wonder, tubes have been around for a long time. There have been many designs of circuits. Manufacturers have use top quality parts before, I wonder how much of the great sound that they make is due to the fact that they are BRAND NEW? On other threads there has been mention of how older components loose their values and the gear doesnt sound the same as it did when new, sooooooo.. I wonder, just how much of the good sound from these preamps is due to a good design (which I know they are) and how much of the sound is due to all of the components working as they should be, at the top of their form?

I'm over here with my Dunce Cap firmly in place. Outside of faciliting the use of longer interconnects, I'm having a difficult time figuring out what else the second mode is good for. Am I to understand that Mode 1 is single stage, and Mode 2 is dual stage using a cathode follower -- so the "benefit" would be simply the sonic signature offered by this circuit? If one wanted to used a solid state amp, which mode would be best? Are there any situations where Mode 2 should be avoided?

I've been doing some switching between the BB and Super LowZ modes, and earlier on not even being sure which one was the BB mode. Interesting difference in sound and do find sometimes I prefer one over the other. Right now it would be too much like work to do any real systematic listening to see what preference patterns look like. In my current setup, interconnects are only 2m in length, so the LowZ is for entertainment and not essential for setup.

On the fifth day of listening did roll in a trio of HP labeled Dutch Amperex ECC88's. Man, I felt compelled to sit through my Diana Krall Live in Paris reference CD, even though I hadn't planned to. Found the wow factor on instrumentation on even less preferred tracks seemed to be increasing the force of gravity exerted on me to stay in the sweet spot on the sofa. The stock Ei's are no slouches and good enough for company. Just hadn't imagined that other tube options would give that euphoric "new piece of gear" sense all over again. Have got some Telefunken ECC88's to try next week.

Am I correct in thinking that in the BB HiZ mode, only one of the tube positions needs to be changed? Which one is that? All three are needed for LowZ mode, right?

Mark, would it be possible to order a peach with XLR inputs and outputs? I notice on my blueberry when I use MIT Shotgun patch cords, there is a lot of strain that is put on the female rca connector. I really want to try a peach with my sunfire/vmps set up, but fear hanging 4 huge rcas off the back would over strain. Thanks, Rob

Have you ever looked at the wiring going into a RCA jack from the gear side? Nice cables are 'nice', but all you really need is good construction and shielding properties. What purpose is served by hanging a firehouse off of a straw?

Mark, thanks for the hand holding here in "tube rolling in the Peach for dummies".

So, for example, listening in the BB mode, the V1 tube provides the flavor and the V2 and V3 could be the Ei's or other. In the Super LowZ mode the flavor is determined by V1, V2, and V3.

Thinking thoughts of economy here. It is pretty neat that only a single Cca tube would be needed if listening in BB mode.

Amperex A frame made in holland for sure. CCAs lack the midrange and low end of the A Frame. In my set up of course.9.gif Mark the only reason I thought the XLRs would be nice is because of ridgedness at the plug. Ill deal with the RCAs, because I love the BB sound. Rob3.gif

I have been switching between the BB mode and the Superloz mode. I admit that I havent spent enough critical listening time to develop a preference. Its just so nice in either mode! I have a amperex dutch fancy smancy tube in the V1 position which may be coloring my opinion - but if forced to choose, I would keep it on BB. Again I have yet to listen to a lot of CDs or a real variety of source material but thats my opinion thus far.

Josh