Doom III

Jabez Scratch

I just got Doom III (on PC) and I like it, but it doesn't run too smoothly. I've got a decent rig: P4 2.4Ghz, 512M RAM, ATI 9700 Pro 128M video card. I'm curious to hear from others who have been playing the game and how the performance is (please provide your comp's specs). I've only been able to run the game well at 600x480 resolution w/ 2x anti-aliasing.

Unfortunately the game is not very friendly to anything less than top-of-the-line machines. I run it at 1280x1024 and MEDIUM settings using a P4 2.8B at 3.2GHz, 1GB of DDR RAM and a Radeon 9800Pro, with no antialiasing or anisotropic filtering. Without knowing the generation of Pentium4 you're running (mainly interested in bus speed - i.e. 400, 533 or 800 MHz/4) and the model of the chipset that's running on your mainboard (i845, i845e, i845g, i865 or i875) there is no way for me to suggest what you can do to make the game run smoother, other than to suggest getting another 512MB of RAM. At this point in time 1GB RAM is becoming a necessity for playing top level games.

Other than that, you can try running the game without antialiasing. You could probably run it at 800x600 or 1024x768 at MEDIUM or LOW setting. Don't set anything to high as there is no way your video card could handle it.

It runs perfectly fine on my machine, which is lesser than you first two's. (sorry bad grammar)

I have a 2.26ghz pen4 533fsb, 768mb RDRAM, and a GeForce4 Ti4600 and I can run High 1024x768 decenlty enough (20-40 fps). I can easily get 60constant fps if I just lower the resolution. For the biggest performance boost, turn off AA and AF, and turn off shadows in the advance menu. This should help you a lot.

THanks for the replies so far. I just downloaded the 4.9 Beta driver for the Radeon series of video cards (the driver is not officially released yet but available at the ATI website). THe driver has been tweaked for Doom 3. I can now play the game well at 1024x768 (after dialing down some quality settings).

Although the game plays better, I gotta tell ya: it's a bit of a one note game. It looks great and creates a terrifying atmosphere, but it's still just a first person shooter. And the PDA message becomes a bit monotonous after a while and disturbs the flow of the game. It just isn't that much fun searching for some dead technician's PDA so I can find the combination to his locker to get some grenades.

The online experience is getting some criticism too b/c only 4 players can play at a time.

Anyways, it's still a good game.

Well well I finished Doom 3 on marine and hell and it is a true horror experience.Played on my modest 22" LaCie ElectronBlue CRT with Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1/plus PolkAudio PSW404 and 505 subs to back it up.

Game play is one thing on low detail and low rez and on 1600*1200 detail on HIGH,that is how I played my game and Doom 3 was true to the Doom legacy,pure doom.

BTW I played on my P4 3.06@3.8GHz with 2GB RAM and the GeForce 6800Ultra,he he.Quite a show

Overall a great game with a few bugs right and left and some lack of attention to detail,Half Life should be one notch up.

In dark room,with quality 5.1 speakers the tension is real,with non sourround speakers in a well lit room the experience is lost.