I need some help with my wife!

Hardhitter

I am now having problems with my wife and sound levels! She has always been cool about loud music and movies. But now that I have placed the rf7's in our theater room, she constantly complains about turning it down. Why spend so much money to listen to it at such low levels?

Now I understand that it does not need to be full blast, but you need to feel things!!! Will diamonds shut her up? Anyone had any luck with this issue? Or have I just been put in my place!!

i had the same problem with my girlfriend.

i wanted RF3 even if they were expansive.

but after she listen them and see how loud they can play she said it s too much for a flat or a house.

so i only bought SF1.it sounds not as good as RF3 of course but for medium level listening they are good enough.for the same price i ve a complete home theater and she enjoy watching movie.

you can may be do some room treatment, so with a lower volum the sound will be as good as now.

----------------

On 8/18/2004 2:34:25 AM doudou wrote:

i had the same problem with my girlfriend.

i wanted RF3 even if they were expansive.

but after she listen them and see how loud they can play she said it s too much for a flat or a house.

so i only bought SF1.it sounds not as good as RF3 of course but for medium level listening they are good enough.for the same price i ve a complete home theater and she enjoy watching movie.

you can may be do some room treatment, so with a lower volum the sound will be as good as now.

----------------

you should dump your girlfriend.

----------------

On 8/18/2004 12:48:22 AM Hardhitter wrote:

I am now having problems with my wife.... she constantly complains about turning it down. Why spend so much money to listen to it at such low levels?

----------------

You really have to identify what your true priorities are in life. When you've worked those priorities out, then the solution will be obvious. Do I have to spell it out? 11.gif

I sold alot of equipment because of my ex wife, including 1 set of chorus2s and a pair of 77 oak oil k horns and 89 oak oil k horns. She wanted a sexy home theater, hence my paradigm set up. Before it was all said and done I ended up selling my pride and joy, a low 7 second NMCA outlaw street mustang. I was married for 10 years, the only thing I miss is the toys the ***** cost me. She is smilen though, with her Rob Kohler bought RN, and fake breasts all is good there. Here no k-horns or the sweet smell VP C-16 racing fuel to inhale on weekends. Throw her out, and buy a bigger amp for your RF7s. Rob10.gif

I know this may sound pretty lame, but my take on the volume thing is this:

I have owned RF-7s for nearly two year now, and I always thought they were more quiet-sounding than the volume control position indicated they should be. I thought at -10 db on a 130 Watt/channel (Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi) receiver, they should be smokin'!

Well, guess what? Last night I decided to take some sound level readings from my listening spot, 10 feet away. The levels were well over 100 db! And, I have had my hearing checked and it is excellent.

My theory is this; the RF-7s are so clean sounding and non-harsh that they are actually much louder than you can perceive. Sound lame? Maybe, but that's what I believe, as compared with my past speakers. Add that to the fact that most women have better hearing than men and there's your problem. Now, what should you do about it?.....um, .....er, sorry dude. That's totally up to you. Good luck with that. 9.gif

P.S.: Thankfully, I'm not experienceing the same "wife issue". Not yet, anyway.

----------------

On 8/18/2004 4:43:42 AM edwinr wrote:

You really have to identify what your true priorities are in life. When you've worked those priorities out, then the solution will be obvious. Do I have to spell it out?
11.gif

----------------

yep, i totally agree with you

2.gif

my girlfriend is now enjoying the klipsch sound.

when we met i had promedia 5.1 now we have Synergy serie speakers.

she says some days ago that when we ll have a bigger flat i can buy some RF35 as main.

so she s not as bad as that.9.gif

Since when do Men have to ask their women if they can make a purchase of a speaker they want, and then ask if they can play it loud?!?! What is this world coming to? We need to take back our ground! "You give them an inch, they'll take a mile!" We need to crush that mentality in women. It all starts in the beginning of the relationship, so for you "men" who are already asking your women if you can have a few beers with the guys, or buy a new pair of speakers, it's already too late. But for the Men beginning new relationships, it's far from late, it's time to make a stand and be sure to let your woman know who's in charge and who's not going to be pursuaded by puppy dog looks and whining! It's time! Oh yes, It's time!

----------------

On 8/18/2004 9:06:04 AM neomartic wrote:

Since when do Men have to ask their women if they can make a purchase of a speaker they want, and then ask if they can play it loud?!?! What is this world coming to? We need to take back our ground! "You give them an inch, they'll take a mile!" We need to crush that mentality in women. It all starts in the beginning of the relationship, so for you "men" who are already asking your women if you can have a few beers with the guys, or buy a new pair of speakers, it's already too late. But for the Men beginning new relationships, it's far from late, it's time to make a stand and be sure to let your woman know who's in charge and who's not going to be pursuaded by puppy dog looks and whining! It's time! Oh yes, It's time!

----------------

Spoken like a true future divorced, alamony paying man!

• Moderators

Ok, this thread is cracking me up--I had to jump in here.

What you have to remember is women love to talk, men don't. Hence, the disparity...you can't talk comfortably with the music too loud. It's just our nature, and one you can do virtually nothing about.

Perhaps encourage her to get a hobby that would require her getting out of the house for an hour or two at a time? Then you could both have some time to yourselves (and you with your speakers).

Or the idea to invest in some good soundproofing materials is plausible as well. Maybe the room dynamics are just too harsh? Or maybe just turn down the subwoofer if she complains...99% of the time I think music is too loud is because of the bass and vibrations in the room.

At any rate, good luck with that.

(and I LOVED the Fred Garvin post....Kudos!!)