Buy a 2 channel amp just for the mains?

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 2 channel amp just for my mains (RF-7s). I have a

Onkyo TX-DS898 I'd use for the pre-amp.

Is anyone doing this? Seems like it might be the best of both worlds. Separates for the mains which do most of the work without paying $$$$ for a 5 channel amp.

Any recomendations for a 2 channel amp? I haven't done this sort of thing before...anything I need to know?

Thanks for the help!

I run a two-channel amp for my RF-7s, and a separate five-channel amp for the remainder of my Reference seven speakers. I like the approach. My two-channel amp is a Rotel RB-1080, which puts out 200 watts X 2 - with a high damping factor. With respect to RF-7s and SS amps, others here run B&K and Parasound 2-channel amps with success.

Be advised that you probably will not obtain a major upgrade in the quality in sound of your RF-7s until/unless you upgrade your processor. In my experience, the quality of sound is more affected by adding a nice pre/amp as opposed to adding an external amp. That being said, you could reduce your distortion and increase your overall bass response and headroom by adding an external amp. Good luck in your hunt.

Carl.

----------------

On 8/20/2004 12:05:46 PM Billiardicus wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 2 channel amp just for my mains (RF-7s). I have a

Onkyo TX-DS898 I'd use for the pre-amp.

Is anyone doing this? Seems like it might be the best of both worlds. Separates for the mains which do most of the work without paying $$$$ for a 5 channel amp.

Any recomendations for a 2 channel amp? I haven't done this sort of thing before...anything I need to know?

Thanks for the help!

----------------

It makes perfect sense - at least to me. I've actually got three different amplifiers powering my home theatre - My mains (CF-4's) are driven by a McIntosh Mc2205 - with a MacIntosh receiver (MAC-4100) serving as the control center for my two channel sound. The power amp section on the Mac-4100 is decoupled from the 4100 preamp section, and drives my rear channel speakers.

Then I have a Dynaco A/V integrated amp powering the center channel speaker, acting as surround sound decoder, and providing outputs to my subwoofer and Mac 4100 for home theatre duty.

It's a bird's nest of wiring, for certain, but the sonic benefits were immediate and not at all subtle. The most audible sonic difference resulted from using the 4100's pre-amp for the 2 channel system - upgrading to the more powerful Mc2205 amp wasn't quite as dramatic - although it is slightly fuller and richer sound, in my opinion. So just adding a power amp might not make a big difference in what you're hearing. You could take a similar path to what I've done above, and only use the Onkyo for movies/surround sound.

Good luck! It's a great hobby/sickness

Carl has given you the unvarnished truth.The 898 is not short on power,it is short on pre/pro quality sound.I don't want you to think I'm too harsh but I owned a 656,777,898 all run through my amps,the 656 was the best(sound wise) for some reason.I paid $1300 for the 898 back a few years ago,very unhappy,took it back in 2 weeks,got a Denon and was happy for a couple years.

I don't know whether another pre/pro improves the sound MORE than an outboard amp, but getting an outboard amp improved the sound IMMENSELY in my system (as opposed to using the amp stage of my Pioneer receiver) and was certainly worth it monetarily.

You can read some of my older posts for a more in-depth look at my experiences with the new amp.

----------------

On 8/20/2004 12:21:06 PM Billiardicus wrote:

Is the Onkyo TX-DS898 really that bad? I believe it's Onkyo's second best receiver next to the 989.

----------------

"Bad?" Probably not for HT. Let me start by saying that audio listening is highly subjective. Depends on your background, tastes, and ears. However, in my opinion, you can get a much better quality of musical sound from those speakers by going with a nice pre/pro rather than relying on your receiver to act as your permanent processor. The RF-7 is an extremely detailed speaker that, in my opinion, needs a nice pre/pro to sound great with music (or you can also venture into tubes). However, when you get RF-7s set up correctly, whoa baby!!!

In the end, the only thing that is important is what sounds good to you. If you add an external amp for your RF-7s, and all the music you like sounds great to you, please STOP.

Do not follow my example. I still can't stop. Upcoming is the tube addition (at least a partial addition).

Oh, and all of what Fish said......

Carl.