Great Klipschorn Article

IndyKlipschFan, sorry your input didn't make it into print. What was the gyst of what you told the interviewer?

The short version (If I can try and do it here) was I had dreamed about these (Khorns) since I was 15 and road my bike up and down hills to hear them at Hi Fi Buys at a "tent sale" and meet this old man 90- 100 years old (rumored age at the time) Paul Klipsch who had designed / created them. I got his autograph, and saved a whole summer working jobs at roughly 2-3 dollars an hour for a pair of Hereseys I purchased with all of the hard work money I had earned. 640 dollars. (Thats about 256 hours for my dream speakers as a teen.) With Pauls picture by my side in College, I worked hard to get a college degree so someday I could afford a pair of K horns. (This was before ebay, I paid retail new.) I still own both the Hereseys and the K horns (ok and other models too..lol) to this day and cherish them just as much in 2004 as they day I bought them.

------------------------------------------------------

I do not know about the younger group of people on the Klipsch bulliten board, but in my day, as a kid, the stereo guys at stores like Hi Fi Buys were my friends. They were the ones that introduced me to different music... Pointed out what were good speakers vs bad speakers... and why too.

I always appreciated their "save up for what you really want in life approach" rather than settle for xyz or what was on sale at the moment advice. Most, I am sure, were in their early 20's getting their own apartments or houses going with killer gear to have to show off too. LOL. I could almost real off numbers specs as good as most of them, like a kid memorizing baseball card stats my hobby was memorizing stats on equipment.

In the long run... maybe not being included in the article has a benefit too. Now my relatives or potential theives do not know that I have speakers costing 7,500 dollars in my house! Course good luck lifting these babies out the window!! Hahahahaha

As a side note, many of you might have smiled like I did when I read this... If it is true roughly 100 pairs are custom ordered a year. We really do have something that is rare and valuable more than we know!

Did you hear about the moron that moved from Illinois to Indiana and raised the average IQ in both states?

Indiana has poor social services, bad unemployment insurance and workmen's comp. Lots of jerks like to live in Indiana for it's low costs but work in Illinois to get Illinois workman's comp and unemployment. I hate such people.

Unfortunately for Indiana several factors in the early 19th Century led to it's being bypassed by most pioneers from New England and upstate New York and these people went instead to Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin; thus the generally more civilized and sophisticated tone of such states and the finer public colleges there. Indiana eventually filled-up with many more Southerners than states like Illinois and Iowa did, too bad. Many Midwesterners consider Indiana a northward extension of the South and Flatlanders, Cheeseheads, Hawkeyes and Wolverines, despite their antagonisms, find common cause in their distaste for Indiana.

Indiana has also offended public taste by becoming the center of the conversion van industry and the home of the insufferable Domers.

The greatest men in Indiana history were Morton, Indiana's patriotic and hard-working governer during The War of the Rebellion; John Dillenger, Homer Van Meter and Harry Pierpont. Ooops, and Lew Wallace, who was late at Shiloh and wrote Ben-Hur.

----------------

On 8/26/2004 3:26:12 PM TBrennan wrote:

The greatest men in Indiana history were Morton, Indiana's patriotic and hard-working governer during The War of the Rebellion; John Dillenger, Homer Van Meter and Harry Pierpont. Ooops, and Lew Wallace, who was late at Shiloh and wrote Ben-Hur.

----------------

Can't forget Larry Byrd...

And I just moved to a new england state that seems to be in tobacco heaven, like their Southern counterparts. Maybe the southern expansion came thru here as well.

Lots of people many areas work in different states. Living in NJ or CT to work in NY. NJ to work in Philly to avoid certain taxes. Actually, lots of people live outside of NY City and work there because its cheaper than living in the city. I don't see what the problem there is.

TBrennan

I could/should take the high road here. I might regret your trolling me here too, to get me fired up some, but with you personally AGAIN knocking myself and Indy, there must be something inside you that just goes really deep with such hatred.

When Klipsch announced the Klipsch weekend several months ago, you did this to me then as well when I welcomed people to Indy. Now again, your bashing our state with both your jokes (and jokes are fine...) but your own views and downright rudeness to people that live here I find it inappropriate. I can use the obvious you do not live here how could you know? Maybe we are a non union state and that threatens you to what you do. (Both union and non unions thrive here btw and Indiana is Conservative as apposed to Chicago.) I assure you since the early 19th century as you seem to like to put us? We have come a long way since then, and into the 20th and 21st century too.

People in Indiana are pretty much like all of Americans.. We tend to be more warmer and genuine perhaps... We say hi and thank you. We chip in when people need help or offer support. We feel our families and our kids education's are very important. We work hard, play hard, and not as fast paced it is all about me perhaps as the East coast, not too laid back tofu into the next fad whacky as the left coast. BTW agriculture is only like 3% of Indianas income, so that leaves 97% in other areas.

Did some very pretty Indiana woman leave you, that you loved, that you harbor so much hatred for her you just apply it to all people that live here in Indiana still years later? I find your continued hatred for people that live here amazing!

You go on and on. Perhaps it is you that needs to get an adjustment to getting along with others. Or maybe you have failed so much in this regard in life your in a web of self destruction, and you have no way of fighting back but to bash someone or something else. TBrennan stop it. This is getting old, and adds nothing to an audio board or people that want to share audio ideas.

You do not live here, have no idea what your talking about, and anybody with a half wit of intelligence will dismiss your comments as trivial half truths and general BS that is.. just that TBrennen BS.

----------------

PS I know the K horn is made in Hope, AK.

----------------

Merely as a point of emphasis from someone who graduated from the University of Arkansas, the quote above indicates Hope, Alaska. The State of Arkansas USPS moniker is "AR".

"There, another state to pick on."

Thanks!

TBrennan,

You mentioned wanting to stop in at the Museum at Prophetstown on your way down to the Klipsch gathering in Indy. How in the world have you even heard of the Museum at Prophetstown (and wanting to actually visit it, even before it is officially opened) when you despise this state?

Concerning IN, it is a fine state. Although a bit conservative for my taste and the home of the KKK, we have enjoyed our 4+ years here.

Concerning the 2nd post of this thread from jtkinney... Klipsch engineering is now in Indy, not Hope.

Mace

Mace---Ahh, I'm just kiddin' around. Besides, I said I admired Governor Morton. And Dillinger IS the most famous Hoosier. Thank God for Lincoln and Grant or Al Capone would be the most famous Illinoisan.

I know many Hoosiers, I have several Hoosier friends and some of the fellas in the Chicago Horn Club are Hoosiers and one uses A7-500s and a Labhorn.

However note that much of the history and social background I've given about Indiana is true. History is history.

No argument about the history from me. This state certainly has way more of a "southern" attitude than Iowa or Illinois (I've lived in all 3). I have never even heard about what you stated concerning how the region was settled. I've just come to experience this after living here.

I'm still curious... How did you ever hear of the Museum at Prophetstown? For some strange reason I remembered that post of yours about it because it struck me as so strange. Plus, you have the same name as my ENT doctor. I play in a folk band and we've played there about 10 times over the past couple of years. I'm just surprised that someone has actually heard of the place, especially someone from out of state! IMHO, there isn't really much there... yet.

Mace

PS I still wouldn't mind getting to a Horn Club meeting someday...

Mace---I'm a big history nut and very interested in the history of the upper Midwest and Lakes Country, the pays den haute.

A person intersted in the history of the region will know about the prophet Tenskatawa and his brother Tecumseh and how they founded Prophetstown. And how WH Harrison whipped The Prophet at Tippecanoe and burned Prophetstown.

Among sites I've visited dealing with the Indian history in the area are Tippecanoe, Fort Wayne (used to be a Miami town called Kekionga, the Miami sachem Little Turtle whipped an American army under Harmar there back around 1790), the site of St. Clair's Disaster in western Ohio at Fort Recovery (Little Turtle and Blue Jacket inflicted upon the United States the worst defeat it ever suffered from Indians, well over 600 American soldiers were killed in the fight, a couple of years later Chippewas from the Mackinac Country killed about another 100 Americans soldiers there), Fallen Timbers near Toledo where mad Anthony Wayne whipped the Indians in the most important Indian fight in American history, the site of Dudley's Fall near Toledo where the Americans lost over 600 killed and captured to the Brits and Tecumseh's Indians and Fort Meigs near Toledo where there was a siege in the War of 1812.

And of course Blue Licks in Kentucky where British Rangers, Chippewas, Wendots and Ottawas, all come down from Detroit, bushwhacked and whipped the Kentuckians back in oh, 17and82 or so. Ole Daniel Boone lost a son there.

And naturally the site of the Fort Dearborn Massacre on the near South Side of Chicago. Where William Wells, knowing death was certain, painted his face black to defy his enemies and after he was killed his heart was eaten by the Pottawattamie and Kickapoos. Just like the Frenchman Langlade ate the heart of the Miami leader la Demosaille at Pickawillany in Ohio. Langlade was a character.