Water Stain--How do I remove it ?

Just registered today on the Klipsch Forum. Bought my third set of Klipsch Speakers (Forte II's) yesterday off of e-bay. Hey, things are looking up !!.cwm11.gif

Currently own a set of CornWall II's and Quartets.

I am happy with the looks of the e-bay Forte II's except for a very noticable water mark on the top of one of the speakers.(see the jpg)

Anyone have a hint or tip on how to remove or blend this in ? Not having previously owned the speakers, I assume it was from a beverage left on the top.

The finish of the Forte II speakers is Oiled Oak.

Any answers to this question would be most helpful.

(Already thought about placing a planter on top of the speakers to hide but it would probably vibrate off--besides, I would like to display the rich wood grain the speaker has instead of hiding it.) cwm30.gif

Hmmmmnnn...

Are you a fan of the comic book (Eddie Current by Ted McKeever)?...or are you just having fun w/ the term?

Sorry I don't know the exact answer to your question...but I have heard people describe using fine steel wool, some sort of wood oil, and some elbow grease to get rid of stains like these....try doing a search here or maybe someone w/ experience will chime in here on this post.

Good Luck

Dave

Eddy-Current,

I just bought a decent pair of KG4s, the cases had not been well cared for, and one had water satins from plants that has set on top. (This is where my wife's antique hobby came to my rescue!) Usually water stains will be lighter, you get a ring that almost looks bleached because the water has washed out some of the stain and oils in the wood finish. I used some of my wife's antique furnature polish which is simply orange oil & bee's wax. I put on one heavy coat and let it soak in for a couple hours, buffed the excess, the heavy coated again. The next day I buffed both the speaker out and WOW! They looked awesome. The only problem was I hadn't demo'd them until after I finised cleaning them up. Come to find out, one of the woofers had a fuzzy/buzzing noise in it, and after some testing I found the one that was the problem. The guy I bought them from guaranteed they were good, so I returned them. He was pretty stunned when he opened the boxes and saw them. Sorry, my story got a little off track, but if you can find a polish with either lemon or orange oil, and 100% natural bee's wax, you should be OK with just letting the wood soak it up, and buff it out. Good Luck!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70

Hey guys, dont be afraid to sand the finish with some fine sandpaper!!

I bought a set of kg4s that looked like someone set a burner on the top of it!!

I lightly sanded the top , untill it came out, then matched the color of the kg4 with stain, them used acrylic clear coat, it was like new!!

After this, i traded the kg4s for a Mcintosh amp, they looked that nice, try it!!

Regards Jim

Bill - Is that orange/bee wax the "______ Feed and Wax" (I can't remember the ______ part) that you can find at Home Depot? I thought about using that on my Forte's just for regular finish upkeep, but was concerned about the interaction between the oil in the Oiled Walnut finish and the wax. Any feedback?

Doug

Klipschter formerly known as dougdrake... AKA dougdrake2 - I believe the product you are referring to is Howards Feed-N-Wax, if so, it has some petroleum distillates and carnauba wax as well. It is a pretty good product. I have used it from time to time, and this is on English mahogany veneer circa 1860. When I was in England I was able to buy pure furniture grade bee's wax, which I mixed myself with either lemon/orange oils (about three parts oil to one part wax). The bee's wax will only enhance the finish, because it is so soft, it will not cause wax build-up. If you don't want any wax, you can buy bottles of pure lemon oil that is also very good. They will keep a nice luster and keep the wood finish from drying and becoming dull.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay but things have been busy on this end. Thanks for all the replies on my inquiry about the "water ring" on my newly purchased Oak oiled Forte II's.

As for my original Posting:

I don't know if it is truly a water ring or some other type of stain? It appears black (see first post for photo.) I still have not received them yet so I can't advise(Shipper is taking his time packing the speakers--which is good.) Hopefully they will make it up the road in great shape.

Anyway ,thanks again for all for the advice on this problem.

The riser bases also have some chips in the corners so that is another thing I will have to look at as well. Not too sure, if replacement risers are available?

Hopefully, I hope they sound better than they look at present. All in all they seemed to be in average shape.

As for my Cornwalls and Quartets, I usually oil them once a year with Formby's Lemon Oil Furniture Treatment(same as "Mikekid" mentioned.) They smell for a couple of days but it really keeps the wood looking good.(Oak Oiled Finish)

Hey, I really like that link:

http://forum.doityourself.com/

Thanks "talktokeith"

Many great tips here for speaker maintenance and the home they reside in.

Curently on e-bay, there's a set of Walnut Klipschhorns with a water ring stain that runs across the top of them as well...so I am not alone.

In my home, nothing but artificial plants set on top of my speakers, if any at all.

Thanks again and I will let all know how the various attempts to remove the stain goes,

Eddy-Current

PS: The handle Eddy-Current(my nickname is Eddie) was one my worker associates tagged me with. I felt honored (of course.)!! It is really a process used in examining aircraft structures for cracks and other abnormalities. Also, it can be found lurking in the core of power transformers too (producing heat).

I don't know of the comic book character.

I'll give a couple of observations.

Water damage to a finish often shows up as a white image in the finish. One woodworker magazine reported good results from the author's wife's remedy. Put on some Vaseline overnight and in the morning wipe it off. The gifted author was contemplating a more complicated approach.

There could be a scientific reason why the Vaseline works. The Vaseline has some emulsifying agent allowing water and oil to mix (maybe), and draws the moisture out of the finish because of its own emulsifier.

Other wipe on finishes and cleaning products may have the same effect in the right circumstances because they also have emulsifiers too. Strictly my speculation.

The ring pattern shown in the picture looks like it could have been caused by simple water condestate from a beverage glass. Maybe. Maybe.

However, the blackening argues a bit against damage to the finish alone, and maybe not simply H20. I'm not aware of any lacquer, varnish, or shellac turning black from simply water.

It may be that the contamination got down to the wood. Lacquer finishes are thin.

Oak is vulnerable to stain from iron, a major component of steel. The iron interacts with the tanin in the wood. Stains on unstained oak floors are notoriously diffucult to remedy.

It might be that the beverage container was a steel bottomed soft drink or beer can (not common these days, but more common in the history of the Forte) or even some sort of metal vase. If so, the mark may well be in the wood itself.

This is going to open up a problem of how far down it goes in the veneer and whether it can be removed by sanding. It could have penetrated through the entire, thin, layer of veneer.

Forte's have a great reputation. No matter what the cosmetic problem, you're gonna be very happy.

Try the cleaning with a furniture product as suggested. However, this might a matter that the wood is irreprarably stained.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-02-2001 at 10:44 PM