TIMBREEEEE-(I heard it)

colterphoto1

Okay, I give up. I finally gave my Cornwall/RC7 setup a really good listen and I CAN hear the timbre difference. And here I was all this time mainly worrying about the efficiency match-up and the dispersion characteristics of centre channel. (although on Dolby website, they do say that in HT applications, centre is 70% of the sound)

My tests- quite simple and unexpected really. I was running Yamaha test tone (pink/white noise, not sure which) to rebalance system after bypassing my dead rear channel amps. When the test noise went from L-C-R, I could CLEARLY hear that it went from a horn (mid squawker) to metal cone (RC7 xover difference) back to horn- UUUGGGHHH. Then very late last night I was listening to what one would think a horrible test source, Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion I on VHS! The guitarist Slash does some terrific runs across the huge stage in TokyoDome and the sound pans to follow his run. Especially when he was holding a chord or feedback tone, it was clearly evident that there was some bothersome change in the sound.

Now the question. I can't imagine using another Cornwall for a center, as my new setup (thanks to Indy and Artto) will be along the LONG wall in my hearth room, where the TV will probably be changed out to flat screen or projector since the monitor will be against the massive stone hearth. So I need as slimline centre channel speaker as possible, alternately a long thin cabinet that I can suspend from ceiling/hearth line angled severly downward. Seems like no 'heritage' speaker fits this bill so I might be up for a custom project. I'm up for the electronics and woodworking. Any good designs out there? Would it be heresy (pun intended) to use a combination heritage low end with a tractrix horn setup to reduce the depth dimension, so long as the crossover is close to my Corns?

Thanks gang, I'm slowly getting the hang of this heritage/reference thing.

Michael

A breakthrough! 9.gif

IMO you want to get a single Heresy or a pair from eBay. They should be cosmetically challenged since you're just going to gut them anyway. I suggest buying a full speaker or two because parts seem to add up to more than speakers do. Strange, really, but I digress. You want the Heresy guts because they'll voice match your Corns. I'd forget about a Tractrix horn and go with what is proven.

You'll take the tweeter and mid assemblies and set them aside with the crossover. I don't know what the woofer impedence is, but since if you're lazy like I am, you'll figure it out and locate a pair of 6" or 8" raw woofer drivers that you can wire to match. Then WinISD will become your best friend, and you'll make up a set of plans for building a good box for those woofers that will fit your horns. A little quality time with the saws, glue, and veneer, and you've got yourself a Heritage center!

Guest Anonymous

OR, you can do what I did and get a verticle corn, put it on it's side and be SMILIN from ear to ear...AND I happen to have an extra one in the colset if you need it, PLUS I am in the Chicago area2.gif3.gif9.gif

Really, I use 5 corns and cpuld not be happier, the timbre is PERFECT and the flow Is PERFECT. the front 3 speakers are the most important in any multi-channel.

Hallelujah! Mike has finally come to his senses, a Vertical Cornwall is what you really need, make it work somehow, someway. The Cornwall is only 15" deep though it is a big speaker, find a way to make it work. You want seamless remember! The Academy woofers are still available from Klipsch and you could use a K-700 Heresy horn with a K-55V midrange driver and K-77M tweeter. Use the total volume of the Academy cabinet with the woofers since it is a sealed design you won't have to deal with port lengths and dimensions. You could modify a Heresy crossover to work. Depth will still be an issue due to the K-700's length.

I think were making a good impression on him at last!

Welcome to the 21st century Michael! (as far as Dolby Digital and HT) Trust us, we love it when we get converts because when you do "get it"... You "get it"! Everyone else who comes to your house will drool!! Trust us. And you can get a Cornwall used at a lot lower cost than most of todays centers as well.

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th, the opinion of the Vertical Cornwall (On it's side now horizontal) as the best choice by far! And on its side, too, it is only 16 inches deep and 25 inches high. Make a stand over the speaker, and or enclose it in furniture of some kind, "toe it up" slightly for your TV, and your set. Your brother can build you something nice I am sure. Musical, HT Nirvana!

As you said, too, the center is important. And no other speaker goes lower, other than the K horn, for that big sound, great bottom end than the Cornwall. OK, If your Q man, you figure out how to make a K horn Center..LOL.

I am glad your coming to your senses. hahahaha Even Steve with his bad hearing I am sure will go OMG!

Yeah you need a Cornwall for the Center. I hung mine (Look at my Web page). If you are going plasma then just set the plasma on top of a Vert Cornwall that is laying on its side 1.gif Of course the Cornwall cabinet should be tilted up a bit but you get the idea.

The depth is going to be dictated by the lenght of the mid range horn which will be the same on a Cornwall or Heresy. Another option would be to take the horns out of the cabinet and mount them in a wedge in the ceiling with wires going down to the woofer in the orginal cabinet. Look through the Home Theater Pictures thread and you will see a guy who did that with a front projection setup. I think it looks slick.

EDIT:

Here is a link to J-Malotky's Theater

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=50440

Laters,

Jeff

Reinforcement through repetition: the Cornwall at center is the OBVIOUS choice. Anything else is a compromise - therefore it is worth the trouble to make it fit.

Three identical Heritage across your front soundstage - DIVINE9.gif

For all you HT newbies out there, your first consideration should be how to get three matched speakers across the front. DON'T EVEN THINK about buying a display until you have the center channel in place. Buy a display that will allow that third main at center. Find a way to make this work - your ears will LOVE you for it!

My hope here is to decrease sales of RC and Academy speakers, and increase sales of mains!

Ok, Smilin', I'm IN! I'll actually save $$ by using a vertical Cornwall on it's side. How, well now I won't be able to put a flat screen directly over the fireplace because it won't be aligned with centre Cornwall. And because I will have already agreed to put huge furniture in front of by beautiful stone hearth, I may as well just set the 35" direct monitor on top of the centre Cornwall. Is there a way to 'magnetically shield' this speaker by installing a (I think it's called a bucking magnet) to reverse the polarity of the magnetic field?

email or PM me Smiling, Chitowns not too far away. I'll help ya clear out the closet, ok???

Michael.

Guest Anonymous

You will be smiling too, I am breaking up a set just for you, mine is on top of my Pioneer Elite HD730, when you come by I will give a great demo2.gif3.gif

great choice too12.gif call me at

847-763-0100 w16.gif