What sub(s) will keep up with a horn loaded LaScala?

Piranha

----------------

On 8/27/2004 8:26:20 PM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

On 8/27/2004 2:34:57 PM xcjago wrote:

Of course! Didn't you know? Cardboard is THE best material to make a subwoofer out of!

----------------

LOL

Yes they are if your budget is foodstamp like.Any quality sub uses at least braced MDF or even sturdier composite materials.Only cheapo cabinets are made by cardboard,no matter what the maker claims they use cardboard because they cost next to nothing.

----------------

Actually, I was being sarcastic. I had no idea they used cardboard. 3.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/28/2004 2:49:16 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

I heard Treys new system. A pair of La Scalas with the new THX subs (KA 1000 THX amp and 2 KW 120 THX Subs... OMG)

DREAM DREAM DREAM This is the Heritage sub all have looked for right here.. Incredible chest pounding clean bass. Buy it one time, and be done with it.

----------------

Alright that has me sold lol. I'ma see if the Hi-Fi shop over here has them or can get a hold of em, that way I can give em a listen.

----------------

On 8/28/2004 1:27:28 AM xcjago wrote:

----------------

On 8/27/2004 8:26:20 PM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

On 8/27/2004 2:34:57 PM xcjago wrote:

Of course! Didn't you know? Cardboard is THE best material to make a subwoofer out of!

----------------

LOL

Yes they are if your budget is foodstamp like.Any quality sub uses at least braced MDF or even sturdier composite materials.Only cheapo cabinets are made by cardboard,no matter what the maker claims they use cardboard because they cost next to nothing.

----------------

Actually, I was being sarcastic. I had no idea they used cardboard.
3.gif

----------------

Also actually, wood in a cylinder design wouldn't work quite as well because of the resonant qualities of it. A cyliner design is much stronger and doesn't need extensive internal bracing like boxes do. MDF, cardboard, etc are all processed wood products but are useful in different applications.

Not a formal announcement.. I may or may not have them on order.... hehehehehe Let's just say I have to wait 2-4 weeks from Ovation on back order to find out!

And ya know, I think they will go great with a 5.1 all Cornwall system too. Three verticles up front, (seamless left center right) two in the rear. Subs in front, both sides of the center.

Cornwall Cornwall Cornwall

Cornwall Cornwall

"A cyliner design is much stronger and doesn't need extensive internal bracing like boxes do."

Much stronger compared to what? Not stronger than a well braced MDF box,the tubes used by SVS are the best solution to make these subs a good profit at the price they are proposed.Take a well braced box like that of the Aerial Acoustics SW12 and tell me any SVS/HSU cylinder is "stronger" in any sense.

No doubt a sturdy cardboard cylinder is the champ in the prive /performance category,but far from the strongest material one can use to manufacture a subwoofer cabinet.The sonotubes are plenty solid for subwoofers and stronger overall than cheapo unbraced MDF junk found in most mass market subs.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 8/28/2004 4:35:43 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Not a formal announcement.. I may or may not have them on order.... hehehehehe Let's just say I have to wait 2-4 weeks from Ovation on back order to find out!

And ya know, I think they will go great with a 5.1 all Cornwall system too. Three verticles up front, (seamless left center right) two in the rear. Subs in front, both sides of the center.

Cornwall Cornwall Cornwall

Cornwall Cornwall

----------------

I hear ya, love that set up too2.gif3.gif heh heh heh If someone wants to buy my B4-plus, I will give the THX a try...any takers out there?6.gif12.gif

----------------

On 8/28/2004 6:13:00 PM TheEAR wrote:

Much stronger compared to what? Not stronger than a well braced MDF box,the tubes used by SVS are the best solution to make these subs a good profit at the price they are proposed.Take a well braced box like that of the Aerial Acoustics SW12 and tell me any SVS/HSU cylinder is "stronger" in any sense.

No doubt a sturdy cardboard cylinder is the champ in the prive /performance category,but far from the strongest material one can use to manufacture a subwoofer cabinet.The sonotubes are plenty solid for subwoofers and stronger overall than cheapo unbraced MDF junk found in most mass market subs.

----------------

Never said it was the "strongest" or even stronger than a well braced box. But MDF is not a material that would take well to a cylindrical shape and solid wood would resonate improperly as a guitar or cello does (however for their benefit, not detriment). Relax...not trying to defend SVS. Just making the point that cardboard isn't utilized for only it's lack of monetary value.

and p.s. I've seen and built the strongest of boxes only to see them eventually fail over time given proper sonic coaxing3.gif

Actually both cardboard and MDF are made from processed wood fibers... and are more similar than dissimilar in their composition.

If you are looking at the structural properties of cardboard tubes (sono-tubes) versus a average MDF box, the tube will sustain a higher internal pressure and resonate less. Box construction has two governing weak points which tubes don't have including 1- many construction joints and 2- flat panel resonances. Bracing and proper construction can help minimize their effects...

Although I use a box sub for its esthetical appeal, I think cardboard tubes can be an economical solution to building a quality sub enclosure.

Just my 2 cents...

Rob

----------------

On 8/27/2004 12:08:36 AM Piranha wrote:

I find it hard to believe that anything other than dual SVS SS subs can possibly keep up with the quick horn loaded bass of the LaScala? Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as subs go paired with LS's?

Thanks!

----------------

I have been looking at this WICKED ONE

http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm

----------------

On 8/28/2004 12:50:50 AM smilin wrote:

Piranhaman, TT Indyklipschfan, he went to Treys house and heard the new klipsch THX subs with klipsch amp-said he is buying them....IMO he knows his stuff, just ask him to sing for ya
3.gif
Of course the B4-plus with crown k2 would be Great, but overkill unless you have HT.

----------------

Yep, Roger knows his Klipsch for sure. He has an RSW-15, Khorns, and Aragon in his HT. It's an awesome setup.

I won't even go into telling you about his karaoke setup. Just thinking about all his Klipsch and Aragon gear makes me jealous. 2.gif

It's one thing to hear about a persons gear. I saw all of his first hand in Indy during the Pilgrimage. He has some NICE stuff!9.gif

We all got a chance to hear the dual THX subs in June. They were very impressive.

----------------

On 7/5/2004 8:08:03 PM Trey Cannon wrote:

The THXU2 system is suggested to use 2 sub cabinets with the amp. They are very high dollor...$1200 or so for each sub cabinet and $2200 for the amp...now remember I an in Engineering not sales...I may have the price wrong.

There is and will only be one finish "Galaxy black" and each sub cabinet ships at 90 or so lbs...the amp is 40 lbs.

----------------

I got mine at Ovation audio in Indy, and I did not pay list.. Work with them and be prepared to wait a few weeks too. The package is back ordered.

I will start a new thread with pics when everything set up right.. Lets just say the word THUMP for now has new meaning!! (not the car boom box effect) And I will have to reinforce a way to deaden the sound too. My wife said the couch upstairs MOVED when I demoed Nemo up a little (hehehehe) downstairs!!

Anyone remember a pump gun as a kid? It blasted a pocket of air right through you.. Same effect, clean, solid, powerful, wonderful, incredible.. etc etc etc lows!

Flagship or not $4600 is very expensive. That pricing philosophy is why the used Heritage market thrives. I have never heard them so my next comment is probably going to be severely reprimanded. But I question how much difference you can hear in the 20 to 60 HZ ranges for $4600 vs. something costing less. Also this flagship was designed for a system whose primary function was HT and not music although I am sure it is a very capable and versatile Sub. I just dont see $4600 as a realistic pricing scheme. I would also like to know if it is really necessary to run two of these units as that could reduce the cost but it is still a very pricey venture. As evidenced by the Powered Sub forum there are a lot of units costing far less that are getting rave reviews. At this price I too am inclined to look elsewhere. Additionally this unit was not designed for the Heritage line but priced like it was.

----------------

On 9/10/2004 2:03:27 AM J.4knee wrote:

Flagship or not $4600 is very expensive. ... I would also like to know if it is really necessary to run two of these units as that could reduce the cost but it is still a very pricey venture.

----------------

Well that is the "list" price... so street price will be less depending on demand (75% list?)... which brings it into the SVS-B4 price range.

Using the two subs is mostly a SPL thing... so one sub will work fine and give you about 3db to 6db less. You can also buy only the sub, and use your own power amp.... but the Klipsch amp is matched by EQ'ing the sub flat. In this case you will need an EQ or sophisticated processor, which has a built in parametric bass EQ.

----------------

Also this flagship was designed for a system whose primary function was HT and not music although I am sure it is a very capable and versatile Sub... Additionally this unit was not designed for the Heritage line but priced like it was.

----------------

I feel that a "good" sub is a good sub whether for HT or music... but people are usually more willing to sacrifice bass extension when listening to music (and hence a music sub). Given the sub and the mains don't reproduce the same frequencies, there isn't any timbre matching to worry about.

----------------

As evidenced by the Powered Sub forum there are a lot of units costing far less that are getting rave reviews. At this price I too am inclined to look elsewhere.

----------------

Most posts and threads will look at getting the most for your money... and not everyone is looking for a 3500$ subwoofer, myself included.

Will these THX subs play better than those subs costing substantially less? I haven't heard them yet, but I'm pretty sure they will... BUT will they be "substantially" better??

I guess this is true for all audio equipment, once you hit a certain price point... the rate of return for each additional upgrade, decreases.

Rob