Sub Recommendations

malechi

OK Guys, my specs are below.

Currently I'm using a Pioneer S-W100 for a sub (12" woofer) but I'm ready to get something better to match my Klipsch speakers. The room all this is in is 13.5'x24'x7,5'. My budget is about $600. Could someone please give me thier recommendations?

maybe a svs (can't recall the model but theres something in the 550-650 range)

svsubwoofers.com

or maybe a hsu stf3.

hsuresearch.com

or a titanic 15" mk3 1k watt sub kit from partsexpress.com(VERY good bang for the buck) cost just over $640. I own the 10" model and its NICE for 350. that 15 is supposed to put out 115 db(not max db) in room down to about 25 hz which is very impressive for its price. and if you don't know, 115 db is VERY loud for bass tones, or any tones for that matter.

scp53

I highly recommend the SVS. HSU also makes great subs, from what I've heard. The 10" kit that was referred to previously is supposed to be awesome. The larger kits however aren't sized as well and therefore don't sound as impressive for the money as the 10".

John

SVS HSU SVS HSU SVS HSU

Also for those in the know Paradigm has the PW2100,and if you deal with the stiffs(vendors) the PW2200.Among good performers in this price range the PolkAudio PW505 is a very good choice,not boomy and fits well in music/HT systems well.

The most interesting price performance unit is styill the TP tube SVS with the ISD woofer.Most deep bass output of the bunch.

----------------

On 8/28/2004 7:13:54 PM malechi wrote:

I'm leaning towards the SVS, which model should I get?

----------------

Email SVS and ask them. They will give you a prompt reply and they WILL NOT try to oversell you. Send them your room size, speaker configuration, and listening preferences and they will recommend a sub that will take care of you.

John

OK, I contected both HSU and SVS today.

HSU recommended the VTF-3 Mk2 $699

SVS recommended either the 20-39 PC Plus $825 or the PB2-ISD @ $899

HSU is cheaper so I'll look at that unless you guys know different. I'm not buying for about 2 weeks so I got time to look around.

If SVS is recommending the PB2-ISD, then you must have a very large room. (HSU is recomending their largest box sub) Bear in mind that that particular SVS has 2 12" drivers as opposed to the HSU's 1 12" driver. Not a fair comparison in output. The PB2-ISD is said to be one of SVS's best performance/dollar sub. Carl

----------------

On 8/30/2004 11:58:14 AM CECAA850 wrote:

If SVS is recommending the PB2-ISD, then you must have a very large room. (HSU is recomending their largest box sub) Bear in mind that that particular SVS has 2 12" drivers as opposed to the HSU's 1 12" driver. Not a fair comparison in output. The PB2-ISD is said to be one of SVS's best performance/dollar sub. Carl
----------------

I agree completely w/ this. HSUs are nice, but I'd be scratching head wondering why SVS recommended the sub they did.

John

----------------

On 8/30/2004 11:08:42 AM malechi wrote:

OK, I contected both HSU and SVS today.

HSU recommended the VTF-3 Mk2 $699

SVS recommended either the 20-39 PC Plus $825 or the PB2-ISD @ $899

HSU is cheaper so I'll look at that unless you guys know different. I'm not buying for about 2 weeks so I got time to look around.

----------------

I second what Carl said. The reason the recommended SVS subs cost more is because what your room requires is more than what HSU makes. The 20-39pc+ and the PB2-isd are larger, more potent subs than the VTF3 MK2. The PB2-isd is an ESPECIALLY larger sub. If you want to stay in the same price range then the 23-31pc+ would be more to your liking.1.gif

----------------

On 8/31/2004 3:11:22 PM malechi wrote:

Well, the girlfriend likes the looks of the <
insert object of the day here
> so it seems we'll be going with that.
----------------

I've said that several times myself.

John- Who's not whipped...What's that honey...oh OK, I'll be right there.