Time flies...

neo33

Happy anniversary Neo. I tried the Altec thing and ended up with cornwalls in their place. Just wasn't the same no matter how hard I tried to like them and convince myself they sounded as good as Klipsch Heritage. Not that they were bad, but once I got used to that sound it was impossible to go back. Now the khorns reside in those corners. Don't mess with a good thing.2.gif

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBrennan No Life

Total Posts: 2,239

Last Post: 8/31/2004

Neo---Rather than pile Klipsch upon Klipsch I suggest branching out into the wider world of horn speakers; get yourself some Altecs, JBLs, Tannoys, EVs and such. You might find, as I did, that you like some of those better than Klipsch.

Or research and build a DIY horn system.

----------------------------------------------------

You spend all your time on this board... And do not even like or maybe even have Klipsch???

WOW... From where do you come from Tom?

Indy----I've owned 2 sets of LaScalas, a set of Cornwalls and now own a set of Hereseys (which sit in the closet while I use Altec Boleros).

I come here to talk about horn speakers. There are some people here with a general interest in horn speakers; folks like Maron, Guy, DJK, Mark Deneen, John Warren, Gil and several others. And there are people here who know and care only about Klipsch speakers. The former group is more interesting to talk with than mere Klipsch cheerleaders are; more serious and certainly more knowledgeable.

Anyone who thinks that there's something magical or unique about Klipsch speakers is woefully ignorant about speakers and how they work. Some Klipsch speakers are very good but they are good because they belong to a type of speaker, horns, which has certain advantages compared to other types. Other speakers of this type enjoy the same advantages and some certainly use higher quality drivers and standards of construction, this is simply undeniable. I think that to not have curiosity about horn speakers other than Klipsch bespeaks a simple and complacent attitude.

Now there are people who have wide experience with horn speakers and prefer Klipsch. And there are people with wide experience with horns who veer away from Klipsch into other things but still regard Klipsch as good speakers. And there are hornys who think Klipsch, even the "real" stuff, is junk.

My best friend has been a horny as long as I have, over 30 years. We traded a pair of Cornwalls I owned for a pair of Altec 605s he owned. We're both happy.

My first high-efficiency-horn type speakers were DIY jobs using JBL D-130 woofers in vented boxes with RS horn tweeters, this around 1971. These were later improved with Celestion drivers on EV-8HD horns and JBL bullet tweeters, I was off and running with this horn thing. Besides the Klipsch stuff I've used various Altec, JBL, EV, Celestion, Edgar, Radian, Fostex, McCauley, Eminence.....I'm curious about horn speakers, a horn speaker enthusiast. I'll hardly apologize for that. One would hope that such enthusiasm and curiosity, compared to simple brand loyalty and enthusiasm, was a good thing.

I agree that it is interesting having different speakers to listen too. Even my own house is not 100% Klipsch. In the garage, I have Bose 101 indoor/outdoor speakers that I inherited from my folks.

I have owned many other brands too. Infinity with the ribbon tweeters that require lots of power.. EPI, Advent, even nOrh speakers (which are a wooden drum shaped from Thailand. They make incredible low priced tube amps too BTW.)

And no, you do not have to own Klipsch to be here. I do find it strange you spend all this time though against others who do have a love for Klipsch, because you do not value them enough you keep yours in the closet?

I have heard the Avant Gardes I liked the mid and tweeters side but hated the bottom. (Closest to a k horn experience I ever had with the trios.) Edgar horns were soo huge again... Great speakers, I still like the K horns in a good room. (And do not EVER think edgar horns will win in a WAF battle.)

I have used altec VOTT and assourted PA gear too in my house. Some more stereo (home hi fi like)sounding and some pretty lousy PA gear as well. You get what you pay for.

I applaud you for coming clean and telling us you really do not enjoy Klipsch Speakers at this point in your audio journey. Maybe we can take that into account when you happen to comment on our systems too.

"Neo---Rather than pile Klipsch upon Klipsch I suggest branching out into the wider world of horn speakers; get yourself some Altecs, JBLs, Tannoys, EVs and such. You might find, as I did, that you like some of those better than Klipsch."

Well, the problem is I started out with Klipsch first. I have listened to many non-Klipsch horn speakers and those other brands just don't compare, IMO. I currently have nothing but Klipsch.

Tom Brennan has a point. The world of horns is larger than the Heritage line. Any advice to expand one's horizons is good, and I am always for the DIYer's as I think that hands-on is the best way to learn about anything.

Here's some facts that distinguish the Klipsch Heritage sound:

1) PWK had a preference for designing a bifurcated horn with a sealed back chamber to lower IM distortion. Even the Jubilee (his last design) follows this arrangement. Clearly a design goal.

2) The modifications to the Khorn and others over the years were dictated by the available off-the-shelf drivers within the chosen price point (same with crossover changes). Special emphasis on "off-the-shelf". PWK always strove to design and remain within a certain specified price point.

So when we say we love the Klipsch Heritage sound, aren't we saying that we love the "3-way bifurcated front-loaded exponential folded bass horn designed by PWK to a specific price point"? Corner or free-standing versions?

DM2.gif

----------------

On 9/1/2004 9:20:41 AM TBrennan wrote:

Indy----I've owned 2 sets of LaScalas, a set of Cornwalls and now own a set of Hereseys (which sit in the closet while I use Altec Boleros).

I come here to talk about horn speakers. There are some people here with a general interest in horn speakers; folks like Maron, Guy, DJK, Mark Deneen, John Warren, Gil and several others. And there are people here who know and care only about Klipsch speakers. The former group is more interesting to talk with than mere Klipsch cheerleaders are; more serious and certainly more knowledgeable.

Anyone who thinks that there's something magical or unique about Klipsch speakers is woefully ignorant about speakers and how they work. Some Klipsch speakers are very good but they are good because they belong to a type of speaker, horns, which has certain advantages compared to other types. Other speakers of this type enjoy the same advantages and some certainly use higher quality drivers and standards of construction, this is simply undeniable. I think that to not have curiosity about horn speakers other than Klipsch bespeaks a simple and complacent attitude.

Now there are people who have wide experience with horn speakers and prefer Klipsch. And there are people with wide experience with horns who veer away from Klipsch into other things but still regard Klipsch as good speakers. And there are hornys who think Klipsch, even the "real" stuff, is junk.

My best friend has been a horny as long as I have, over 30 years. We traded a pair of Cornwalls I owned for a pair of Altec 605s he owned. We're both happy.

My first high-efficiency-horn type speakers were DIY jobs using JBL D-130 woofers in vented boxes with RS horn tweeters, this around 1971. These were later improved with Celestion drivers on EV-8HD horns and JBL bullet tweeters, I was off and running with this horn thing. Besides the Klipsch stuff I've used various Altec, JBL, EV, Celestion, Edgar, Radian, Fostex, McCauley, Eminence.....I'm curious about horn speakers, a horn speaker enthusiast. I'll hardly apologize for that. One would hope that such enthusiasm and curiosity, compared to simple brand loyalty and enthusiasm, was a good thing.

----------------

Amen.12.gif

----------------

On 9/1/2004 2:51:03 PM D-MAN wrote:

Tom Brennan has a point. The world of horns is larger than the Heritage line. Any advice to expand one's horizons is good, and I am always for the DIYer's as I think that hands-on is the best way to learn about anything.

----------------

I also agree with Tom on this one. I currently own Khorns and Tannoy Monitor Gold 15". The Tannoys are every bit as nice as the khorns. They don't go up as high as the khorns, but they some good qualities in their own right. Nice overall "smooth" sound to them. I prefer using the Tannoys when listening to Rock and Metal for sure. This isn't to say that the khorns sound bad with rock and metal. They just sound different.

Now, I have owned Cornwalls and LaScalas in the past and to me the Tannoys are a much better sounding speaker than both of them. The Las are way to midrangey sounding (No BASS). The Corns have better BASS than the Las, but the midrange is a little too forward except for easy listening jazz. Rock and Roll at louder levels will drill a hole right into your head. I like the option of choosing differenct speakers for different sources anyhow. Like the old saying goes...there's more than one way to skin a cat. I really don't understand how someone would want to own different variations of the same speaker when there are so many other "flavors" to choose from anyhow. All my own opinion of course... 12.gif

A few of ya'll are missing the point. There is plenty of room in the world for people with different opinions. But to have someone consistently posting negative things about Klipsch in Klipsch's own forum is trolling, and disrespectful. Klipsch isn't going to do anything about it because they are generous to a fault, so Tommy will go on trolling.

If you are on a general car forum, you talk about lots of different cars, and that's what would be expected. But if you are on, say, a Corvette forum and you constantly are saying that Corvettes are nothing special and you've driven X, Y, and Z and they are all just as good or better, that's trolling, plain and simple. If you mentioned once or twice that there are other cars out there, it might pass, because maybe Corvette owners weren't aware there were other cars, and might like the tip. But if you posted a couple thousand times that Corvettes were mediocre, that would be trolling.

Tommy Troll isn't posting on a JBL forum or a Tannoy forum or an Altec forum, etc. I would think everyone here already realizes that there are other brands of speakers, some of which are fine.

----------------

On 9/1/2004 2:51:03 PM D-MAN wrote:

So when we say we love the Klipsch Heritage sound, aren't we saying that we love the "3-way bifurcated front-loaded exponential folded bass horn designed by PWK to a specific price point"? Corner or free-standing versions?

DM
2.gif

----------------

I love it when you talk like that D-Man!

I think it is simplistic and unfair to suggest those of us who like Klipsch are narrow minded. Many of us embarked on a long journey through the audio world many years ago. During this journey we have made mistakes in our purchases; been sucked into audio 'fads'; and changed audio gear like there's no tomorrow.

In relation to my journey, I can honestly say I have developed a great respect for all sorts of audio products, and I can now fully appreciate what these other designers were trying to achieve. Some were (are) successful, others not so.

But also, I believe I, and many of my friends have been slowly defining in our minds what is good and bad in audio. We can be truly objective and acknowledge that the Klipsch product does this and that really well, but doesn't do something else quite so well. If anyone cares to search the Klipsch forum, there are many such observations made.

More importantly, I now feel competent to choose what is right for me. I think I have earned the right to poke fun at other products, and feel proud that I have finely found the sound that can push all my buttons simultaneously!

I think Neo, in starting this thread, is saying exactly that. 1.gif