HT Receiver... NAD or Marantz?

thomas_c

HI,

I am planning to get rid of Harman/Kardon AVR125 and get another receiver for my Klipsch speakers(RC-25, RF-25's, RS-25's).

I am considering two receivers.

NAD T752: 80W x 5 simultaneous continuous

Yamaha SR6400: 100W x 6

and I have no idea if yamaha's power is continuous or peak.

My questions are:

1) Anyone got a suggestion which receiver would go well with the speakers?

2) Can anyone recommend a better receiver (<$1000) besids those two?

Thanks.

4.gif

well i just sold at a large loss a yammy to get my used nad reciever. the yammy was to be used as a basis for my bedroom 2 channel system, but it just sounded horrible way too bright, lacked mids (because of the tweets), and had hollow sounding bass, and with yammies rep i knew it could not be the yammy! yeah right! i went through several good speaker setups, first yammy speakers, than a pair of rf 3's and finally a set of heresies, at the end i just mothballed my aspirations of having a good bedroom rig, after i completed the rest of my sons and my main ht/2 channel rig, i again looked at my bedroom rig, this time i knew i needed to change the source, so i went to ebay and purchased an older nad amp (in sig), a few days later i hooked it up and immediatly saw that i had spent a year and alot of time trying to get the yammy to sound, good, when the whole time it would never sound right, unless you like bright lifeless music. i quickly sold the piece based on reputation, and now my bedroom sounds just right, plus since it is an older amp it even has an phone pre section, but this is my experience with yammy, but the amp did sound better with jbl's12.gif

I currently have the Marantz SR4300, I also am running a 2 channel system with a NAD 2200 amp. I have not heard any of the "modern" NAD HT receivers, but I am sure they sound quite good. If you are looking at the Marantz SR7400, accessories for less has a refurbished unit (they are authorized reseller) for $669.00. This is a great price for the 7400. I may try to see if I can swing one myself.

A couple of months ago I was in my local Klipsch dealer and while waiting to talk to my salesman/friend, I walked into one demo room that had a Yamaha ??? running a pair of Klipsch RF5 towers in 2-channel. And to me it sounded really bright, yet the vocals were "hidden". I checked the tone controls and they were flat. In another room was a Denon 3803 driving a pair of Klipsch RF35's and the sound with the same Norah Jones CD was much, much better.

Since you asked for other receiver recommendations under $1K, I'd look (listen?) at the Denon too. Besides, you could always use the preamp portion of the Denon for a HT pre/pro and buy a dedicated power amp later on.

I'd love to listen to the new NAD stuff. I really liked the NAD integrated I had many m00ns ago. But to audition and NAD gear would require me to drive 300 miles one way!

Tom

Tom is right - Denon is worth a try, works fine with Klipsch.

NAD has good build quality and a very good reputation from their stereo amps. I like the design but I haven't heard their AVRs yet.

Marantz is well known for their full and round sound (I have my CD10 for almost 12 years now and will never give it away) which should be a very good match with Klipsch.

You can't go wrong with any of these brands but sound and design is a matter of taste, of course.

----------------

On 9/1/2004 10:30:10 PM boomer9911 wrote:

The SR7400 is a niece piece of gear for the price, remote still sucks though.
----------------

Either you're thinking of a different remote or you and I have VERY different tastes in remotes. The remote w/ the 7400 is the most flexible remote I've used yet. The LCD screen is large which greatly enhances this remote for me. This remote had more built in functions for my JVC TV and DVD player than my JVC receiver remote did. It's EXTREMELY easy to program macros into and "teach" it new functions w/ REAL names on the screen. To each his own though.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a MARANTZ SR6200 powering Klipsch Forte-II (L and R), Academy Center, and KG-1 (surround left and right), and SVS SUB (which has its own amp). The 6200 powers these speakers well. I play movies AND music - that latter at high volume. I am quite satisfied witht he 6200.

I just did about 2 months of research on receivers under a grand and ended up with the denon 2805. Its being shipped right now so I cant really say much about it, but I choose it because of its multitude of features and abundance of power 100x7. I wanted a 7 channel so I could upgrade in the future. I dont think any receivers under a grand have as many features as the denons do. I got mind from good guys (authorized dealer) for 785. My second choice was the yammie. Both sound great with klipsch. Some say they are a little bright, but give me a break, all they do is show off what the klipsch tweeters can really do.

The new series of Yamaha receivers, particularly the RXV1400 and RXV2400. Very smooth musical sound and an ideal match for Klipsch loudspeakers. Next I would consider the new Marantz range, and the rest after that. I never used to like the Yamaha's, preferring the Denon's. But the new range has matured in sound and in fact it seems Yamaha have tailored their sound to suit Klipsch speakers! Just my opinion...