FLORIDA.......Frances do we ever get a break?

iwillwalk

----------------

On 9/2/2004 6:42:59 PM radiob wrote:

Home Depot Claims the state is out of plywood, their selling the expensive laminents and specialty sheet woods for window cover. Kind of a suspicious claim.
15.gif

----------------

Oh I dunno. Look at the size of that hurricane. It stretches from the top of florida to the southern tip.... Then think about all the houses and windows... I don't think I've ever seen a storm so large in all my life.

I think part of the reason that a lot of people in Flodida arn't prepared before hand is that there is so much new building going on in this area. I'm in the construction business, we do kitchen and bathroom cabinets. We have been installing cabinets in 7 new houses a day for the last 15 years. Most of these people who are doing this last minute shopping are the ones that just built new homes this year. People are moving to central FL form the north and the south. The last few years people have been moving up from south FL to get away from the over crowded cities.

My family and I are in a motel in St. Augustine, about 115 miles north of our Merritt Island home. We boarded up the house and left. It took us 6 hours to drive that 115 miles. I have a rental moving truck parked outside our room, that is loaded with most all my home theater gear and special parts. When I get back home I'll take some pictures of the inside of the truck if I'm in the mood once I see the house. If the house is OK I plan on unloading the equipment. If the house has roof damage or flooding issues I'll put the stuff in air conditioned storage untill I'm able to repair. We shouldn't loose the house now that the winds are down to 105 mph. I'm not thinking the worst like I was when we left.

On the way here a woman backed into my truck while I was gasing up. Then my son took out a stop sign and scracthed up the side of the rental truck. He was making a hard rt. turn and the sign was leaning over into the intersection. I hope we can keep joking about these kind of things untill our journey is over.

Forgive my spelling if there are errors, I'm rushing this. I'll see if I can add more later.

I had to change motels. The one we were in is in a flood zone, the locals say that the streets flood even durning a normal rain. Now the boys and I are teasing my wife about evacuating an island and moving to another island. You have to get off of these islands before the winds hit 40 mph, because that is when they close the causeways (bridges) to the mainland. At that wind speed you can be blown off durning the higher speed wind gust. This place is on the main land and from our sixth floor room I can see I-95. That's a good thing, because I'll be able to tell if it is full of bumper to bumper traffic. If it looks to be only moving

5 mph then I'll wait here longer before trying to return home. Maybe I can try to hop on it before it gets busy. It's hard to tell when to leave for home, the news lies to you. They try to keep you out as long as they can to avoid injury.

This is a much nicer place and has it's own golf course, but I never could see mush sense in chasing that little ball around. Much more fun messing with speakers.

My surgery seems to have gone well. I'm gaining movement in my arm and leg every day. I think boarding up the house for two days after surgery helped, other wise I would have been laying around gettin stiff.

I called my home phone and I can tell that I don't have any power there, because the answering machine won't pick up.

More later,

J.W.

I'm having a great labor day weekend.14.gifAt least the family is kind of enjoying themselfs. I, on the other hand am spending money that I was going to use on new equipment and thinking about all the work that I might have to do around the house. But, I must be strong and a good dad and not show any fear.

I bought an Outlaw 950 pre-amp to try out. I wanted to experiment with it before buying the $3,000.00 Anthem. I can make front effect channels like the Yamaha RX-V3300 by adding another reverb type processor for another pair of main channels. I'll also be able to do this with the Anthem AVM 30. The sound of the 950 isn't bad, but it's not good enought. It is too thin in the bass. The RX-V3000 used as a pre-amp to the McIntosh power amps had almost too much bass output. The Outlaw 950 has me looking for tone controls and bass boost switches. The Outlaw has a 30 day return policy, so it will be going back. I brought it along with me and my McIntosh amps. I didn't want to chance loseing it since it is being sent back. I'll now do that when I get home since it's all ready packed.

The hardest thing was moving the modified Klipschorns. They weight

twice as much as a stock Klipschorn. I also didn't want to take any of them apart so I moved them all in one piece.

This is getting old real fast. No power yet and I've used up 40 gal. of gas running the generator, I'm on my last 5 gal. can. I need to try to find a gas station that's open and still has gas. I think I have to go to Orlando to find one. I think that gas is being shipped into that area now. While I'm there I better buy more 5 gal. gas cans. With Ivan on it's way I may be with out power for a long time yet. It takes me 10 gal. a day to keep the gen. going.

It still looks like a goast town around here at night.

----------------

On 9/4/2004 2:36:39 PM Q-Man wrote:

I think boarding up the house for two days after surgery helped, other wise I would have been laying around gettin stiff.

----------------

So, you rented some of "those" tapes?2.gif

(Sorry. You didn't expect me to leave that one alone, did you? Good luck with your recovery!!)

Hey Q-Man - Your post about the generator and gas brought back memories of the days & weeks my family spent after hurricane Camille. We stayed thru the hurricane and lived only 3 blocks off the beach. The guy across the street from us was a member of the Civil Air Patrol (he had a really cool Beech Craft Bonanza that he would take me up in and let me fly). After about 2 weeks of no electricity, some of his CAP buddies from up state showed up one day with one of those big *** army diesel generators. We had 3 houses running off that thing! Mostly refrigerators, fans, and limited lights.

The other thing I remember is the lack of drinking water. In 1969 there was no FEMA or any kind of "plan" for disasters. Luckily, there was an artesian well not too far from the house. Every other day or so my Dad & I would haul our jon boat over to the well head and fill up plastic milk jugs and the entire jon boat. We'd use the water in the boat to prime & refill the toilets in the house. The bottles of water were boiled to sanitize. I believe we were without water for 5 weeks and electricity for longer.

Hang in there man. I honestly know what it's like to be where you are.

Tom

Some of the Island now has power,even a few of the restaurants are open. I went out to dinner tonight and had a chance to forget about what is happening for a while.

I was able to buy 8 more five gal. gas cans, that gives me a total of 17. I was also able to fill 10 of them. Some of the open gas stations have a $20.00 limit and that only fills 2 cans. We were also able to stock up on more food and lot's of water. We wouldn't need to stock food and water since some stores are beginning to open, but with Ivan at the back door we don't want to run low. I heard today that I won't have power for another 9 days. Too many downed trees and utility poles on the way to my house.

Spirits were picking up, but after people heard about Ivan today

that all changed. Everyone is scared and they don't have much more fight left in them. They don't know where to run to this time. Their also tired and say that they will stick this one out.

I feel that it is too early to decide what to do. I'm just preparing for the worst and will wait a couple of more days before I decide just what I'm going to do.

The surgery on the knee went find, but the doctor told me today that he thinks that I'm using my arm too much and want's it back in the sling for another week. I didn't tell him that I've been chopping wood and removing trees the last three days. But I'm sure he knows what I've been up too.

UPS came today with some audio gear that I ordered. I found another pair of Altec 311-90 horns and they came today. Tomorrow I should receive a reverb amp that I'll use for making front effect channels like Yamaha does in some of their receivers. I actually ordered four different kinds of reverb amps to try. I'll keep the one that I like the best and sell the other three on ebay. I have a two channel system with Klipschorns hooked up to the generator so I can try out the reverb tomorrow when it comes. I talked to Outlaw Audio today and I'll be sending the 950 back for a refund. So you see that these hurricanes and lack of power havn't changed my habits yet. My wife was joking today that the trees and power poles are in the road, but that doesn't stop UPS from coming to our house like usual. The US mail service hasn't been here yet. Some things never change.9.gif

Thanks for saying your sorry guys, but that's not necessary. I know by now what it's like to live on the coast. It's not like I havn't done this before.

Tom, it would be terrible if I didn't have running water. I never had to go with out water yet. We have water and I have a gas water heater so the showers arn't cold. Before the hurricane I always over clorinate the pool so it won't turn green with algee. This is in case we don't have water, then we can bath in the pool and use it for the toilets like you did.

Gotta go.

Fini,

I guess I left myself wide open for one of your remarks.2.gif

My wife was at Home Depot today looking for more supplies and heard that they got in 500 generators yesterday and that they sold them all already. If this keeps up we won't need the power company anymore. We will all be self efficient. They are also sold out of their window a/c units.

The repair shops also are backed up fixing generators, because people arn't

checking the oil levels and don't remember to change the oil every 50 hours.

Tomorrow I need to tar down a few shingles, then it's back to cutting up more trees.

No one dares to take down their hurricane shutters and plywood yet. I may leave mine up all year round. I'll just paint them the color of the house and paint windows on them.