FLORIDA.......Frances do we ever get a break?

iwillwalk

Yeah....this is kind of crappy! I live about 30 miles north of where it's supposed to make landfall and that ain't a good thing! There's still three days before it hits and that's an eternity in Hurricane language but we're sure prayin it pulls north and stays out of everyone's hair!

The house will get boarded up tonight but that won't make a whole lot of difference with 145mph sustained and gusts up to 170mph! This one makes Charley look like kindergarten! It's more powerful and MUCH larger. Hurricane force winds extend out 86 miles from the center so....(doing the math here)....if the storms moving at 10 mph and the eye passes right over you, that means you get to sit in hurricane force winds for 16 hours! Tropical storm winds for 30 hours!!!

If it stays on this track, we're bailin and headed west and try to put some dry land between us and the eye.

It sure makes life simple when you can only fit your important things in one car load.

And it may be comiming in at the Cape and Merritt Island, over the top of my house. I've been boarding up for two days now. I keep a generator and window A/C unit around for after the storms so I can stay cool and keep things like my refrigerator going. I usually block off one room of the house and use the A/C unit in it.

This time I'm worried that I might not have a house to come home to. The times before I just lost different parts of my roof and fence. I'm afraid this time will be different. It's big and strong and coming right at me.I hope this one takes a turn.

Call me dumb, but I rented a 15' moving truck and I'm going to load up my two pairs of Klipschorns, two pairs of LaScalas, a pair of Jensen Imperials, Univerity classics, all my home theater

gear etc. etc. Another bummer is that I just had surgery Monday for torn cartilage in my right knee, and had a bone chip removed from my left elbow. So I'm having all kinds of fun.

Have to get back to work.

Yep, I feel for you guys. This is going to be yet another major disaster for your state. I hope you guys don't try to ride this one out. Toooooo big, get your important belongings and get the hell out.

Good luck you guys! She is a monster indeed. 5.gif

frances.jpg

post-9291-13819257771192_thumb.jpg

I too feel for you guys. Was telling a co-worker (he has a small house in West Palm Beach that he's concerned about and probably won't get to see until it's all over) this morning that those poor folks in central Florida are probably wondering what the hell they did to Mother Nature to deserve this. 8.gif

Like m00n said - get yer stuff and git the hell out!

We here in Savannah, GA keep worrying because it's been yeeeears since we got hit. And the odds are running out on us. 15.gif

My co-worker is suppose to be boarding a cruise ship in Miami Saturday morning. I'm sure that won't happen now.

FWIW...the county I live in has some new building codes driven by Hurricanes. One of them is that the builder is required, at the time of sale, to provide custom made window boards for all windows on the home. The boards are not only numbered, but fasteners (screws) and instructions are included. When we moved in last November, I said to the wife, "What the hell is that pile of plywood in the garage for (naturally, I found out later)? That's just gonna get in my way." I don't have that thought anymore.

Tom

I sympathize with all of you Floridians, and other east-coasters who are in for a reminder of who\what is in charge when it comes to Man vs. The Elements. However,

...you (or your forbears) have chosen to live where you live... it has been very well known for quite a count of years that Florida and points farther north on the Atlantic seaboard are destinations for these types of storms. I am sympathetic, but to ask "what you did to deserve this" strikes me as a little naive.

Be that as it may, best of luck, and remember that your lives, and those of your loved ones, are far more important than your possessions (yes, even your Klipsch).

----------------

On 9/1/2004 5:41:43 PM radiob wrote:

My neighbors house after Charlie stopped by Friday night at 6:00 for a visit.
15.gif

----------------

But the fan was OOOO-K. 9.gif

(some of you will get it, some wont)

Sorry man, couldn't resist. I'm truly sorry for their loss.4.gif

Something struck me odd last night as I was watching TV. They showed Florida residents in Home Depot, a line as long as you could see. People with plywood and items to secure their houses. That by itself is not odd, but what struck me as odd is, why do Floridians wait until a hurricane is approaching before stocking up on these items?

Now, I'm no rocket scientist but I do belive that if I lived in Florida I keep these items handy and in my garage all year long. Why wait until a hurricane approaches? This would eliminate waiting in long Home Depot lines for hours, this would allow you to spend more time securing your house and furthermore would allow you to get the hell out of dodge sooner to beat the mass traffic.

No offence to anyone, just thinking out loud.4.gif

m00n: Great minds think alike.....er, um similarly. The thought I had was, shutters! Old homes used to have a shutter hinged to the outside (or inside) wall adjacent each window (and door on some). I guess there must have been a reason for this huge departure from such a useful architectural feature?