Khorn shipping boxes

rloggie

I think Craters and Freighters would show up and get the Khorns ready for shipping for considerably less than $500.

Dean, I guess you've seen the packing boxes up close and personal. Impressive, I imagine.

On C&F, one time I got a quote on shipping LS from Washington State to Arkansas. The packing and shipping would have amounted to $400 and change. Granted, the LS is not the same challenge to prep for shipping, but that included shipping over 2000 miles, too. Even if you had the Klipsch cartons, it would some be a job to pack up the big boys.

----------------

On 9/3/2004 12:53:42 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Daddy Dee, I looked into them (C&F's) it was over $925 from NC to VT only around 900 miles! Yikes!!!!

----------------

Wow, that's a huge difference. I don't know quite what to make of that, except to note that when dealing with the individual contractor directly, his prices were considerably less than was quoted on the website.

When Paul Parrot bought my Belles a few months back, we had a wooden shipping crate custom made of plywood with internal foam blocks that held both speakers. We shipped them from Portland, Oregon to Chicago area by Forward Air. The Forward Air shipping was more expensive than usual because the crate was so damn heavy!

But the speakers made the trip like they hadn't even left home. I think the guy charged around $200 for the custom crate but I'm going from memory...Paul, do you remember what the cost was? I will say that crating charges vary wildly--as does quality. I looked around a while to find a guy with experience building crates for shipping electronic equipment for some of the big Northwest High Tech companies. Also he is the owner and personally supervised the guys building the crate.

Anyway, maybe you could find someone like that in your neck of the woods to do the job for your Khorns. It wouldn't be that big a deal and it would be much better for air or freight travel than cardboard. And if you can't find someone in your area, the guy in Portland could probably build you the crates and ship them via Forward Air for less than the cost of the Klipsch cardboard boxes...

Good luck in your search.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Triceratops's memory is right. The crating and packaging company charged $200 for making the crate for the two Belle Klipsches, and that included taking it to Forward Air, which was nothing to sneeze at, considering the whole deal weighed 462 pounds.

The crate is excellent (I still have it) and sure is a step above cardboard, even $500 cardboard.

Triceratops is also correct about the need to find a quality crater. Almost any clown can slap a couple boards together but if you get a craftsman, you can count on the box and its contents making its trip intact. My crate had pallet guides on the bottom and quality semi-firm foam glued inside. The speakers were wrapped in a smooth grey plastic wrap, kind of like garbage bag material, and then wrapped in plastic from a roll, like the standard for equipment sent on pallets in semi trailers.

Crating Klipschorns would be tougher than Belle Klipsches though. I don't know if two would fit on a pallet. Maybe would on one of those longer pallets. And the weight would be worse. But two crates would be more expensive. There is no painless solution.

crateo001.jpg

bellesbox.jpg

crateo0041.jpg

bellewrap.jpg

inspect001.jpg