receiver

BruinsFan

I'm a few weeks into my new setup using RF5, RSW15, RC7 and some RCR5. After some research decide to power these with the Denon 3805. Nice upgrade over my Yamaha.

I've read elsewhere on line that Denon's are not a real popular choice for use with Klipsch. That they general cause the speakers to sound harsh and fatiguing. This was also said about Yamaha. Where I got the speakers specialized in Denon and Yamaha - so I don't have any way to really compare. The recommendations thrown out where Marantz, H/K and a few others.

Everything I read said the 3805 was just about the best in that price range (although there are a few things missing) so I thought I had done good. Can someone enlighten me here? Am I missing something really or are other folks just being picky for whatever reason.

Is it worth returning for something else - eventhough I won't be able to demo it till I get home. If so, what are the recommendations? Music and movies are split 50/50. I'd like to stay under $2000.

Thanks for any and all input - as always.

Do you like it? If so then who cares. I have a Yamaha and I don't look back because I like the combo.

Also if this is a new set-up then you may have to experiment with placement and setting until you get what you want. Also window/wall treatments, etc may help with the harshness, if that is what you are perceiving.

If anything I've heard that Denon is a good match because they are perceived to be a warmer sounding receiver. So they might balance each other a little bit. I had a Yammi previously and it WAS a little much. I've got a 3803 now with my RF-3's and think the combo sounds great.

But yeah. If it sounds good to you, leave it be. :)

odd since other people's comments were that Denon's sound was not warm and "thin". And better suited for other speakers.

I understand what you mean by what sounds good to me - but I thought my Yamaha/Energy setup was good until I heard Klipsch. It's why everyone wanst to go to the store and A/B different setups. But in this case I've found only one Klipsch dealer near me and am at their mercy for what they carry for receivers.

I don't mind trying a few at home but I don't want to do it a dozen times - so just looking for peoples opinions.

What else is comparable to the 3805? I don't like that it doesn't do have a video passthrough and will not accept a digital input for Zones 2/3. Minor annoyances but features I would like.

I have the 3805 with the Klipsch 35 series all around, I use the new 3910 DVD player for most music, plus video games, and my computer with mp3s, everything sounds incredible, but i don't have an audiophile ear or am incredibly picky. But i love what i'm getting.

Bruinfan,

have you personally experienced any harshness with your 3805? I never did with mine! And most Denon owner didn't. It is a very powerful sounding nice looking rock-solid receiver.

Trust your own ears! If you like it - keep it. If you don't - you have to go for another.

But be aware - there might be forum members who find that new muffled/harsh/weak.2.gif

I would also have to disagree with Denon sounding hash & fatiging on Klipsch speakers. I started with a Denon 3801 and was great with movies. However, it sucked the life out of my classical CDs. I really didn't notice it on any other types of music, but I don't have a very extensive collection of "other" music. I finally went to seperates (ACT-3 and Parasound 1205A), even using the external amp didn't really help the music any. The ACT-3 was on a whole different level, but a huge leap should be noticed between a $1000 reciever and the a $3000 pre/pro. Despite all of this, my brother now has the Denon and is happily using it for his infinty speakers.... So depending on what you use your system for, movies or music, should drive your purchasing decision.

As for your other options, when i was hunting for a CD player, I went to a Marantz dealer and he was having alot of troubles with failure rates on the Marantz recievers. So definatley look around to see if other users are reporting problems....

Another idea might be to get some seperates...You can get a Outlaw Audio 950 Pre/Pro and 7 channel Pwr Amp for $1600. The 950 is only $800 so you could buy a used amp to knock the price down lower then $1600. I'm not a huge fan of the Outlaw amps with Klipsch, as they are almost identical to ATI which are known for their brighter presentation.

-Dave

thanks everyone. I'm finding opinions vary greatly on what people think particular receivers do - it's interesting. But the consensus still seems to be that Denon's go well with Klipsch. I like mine - I don't find it gets harsh unless I've got it loud enough to take the paint off the walls.

Has anyone used the auto-equal setting? opinions? It's my understanding that you only want to use an equalizer to make subtle adjustments to compensate for a particule room or environment. Well the auto-equalizer seems to have made sigficant adjustments. I actually like the change when listening to some rock especially at lower levels - seems to have boosted some fullness (for lack of a better term). Doesn't sound as good with other types of music. Just wonder what other peoples milage has been.

Bruinsfan-

I agree with everyone else - go with what sounds good to you. I went with the Yahmaha RXZ-1 over the Denon. Only because of problems that I had years ago with a Denon. It kept going out, and they kept fixing it. I finally was asked to pick out another reciever, and went with Onkyo. It after 10 years just failed, so alot of research went in to the new Yamaha. Denons are great! I just had a bad one. It happens, but I also don't buy Chevy's anymore.

A friend of mine hase the same speaker set up as me, but is running the Denon Flagship. We do not notice alot of diff. in movies, but we both agree that music sounds better at my house, as well as no one can touch the DSP quality of Yamaha. It could also be the acoustics of my room!

My opinon is, if you like it, keep it! You only go back to upgrade! If there is a feature that you are missing that you really want, go get it. Crank it up and have fun!

I have a DSP-A1, which was their flagship a few years back, and it sounds wonderful with my Klipsch. I think when you're talking flagship receivers, all the manufactuers(Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz) have equally high end gear. Some might have a bell while others have a whistle, but they are equally good. Looks like that new Yammy has some really good video stuff. The others won't be to far behind.

If you like it leave it be. Don't listen to other peoples ears, but if you descide you want a better sound do not get another receiver. Go out and step up and buy a seperates amp and you will be real happy. This will cost you around the same amount used. Connect it to your preouts. I will being doing the same thing. I just want a two channel seperate for stereo listening and it will free up the the amplifier for a better center and surround sound power. Because most receivers at best usually are only two channel driven.

seperates are real tempting but higher then I can justify for what I use my home system for. I'm leaning one of two ways depending on budget -

Denon 3805

Denon 2200

or

Rotel RSX-1067

Rotel RDV-1050

I like the Rotel stuff - definetly see the argument of being better - just have to decide if it's worth an extra $1000 better. I should go back and listen to the Pioneer Elite stuff.

Opinions on the two above?

----------------

On 9/14/2004 5:01:19 PM BruinsFan wrote:

I like the Rotel stuff - definetly see the argument of being better - just have to decide if it's worth an extra $1000 better. I should go back and listen to the Pioneer Elite stuff.

Opinions on the two above?

----------------

Definitly worth the price difference and then some. Plus the added benefit of much higher resale percentage. Denon gear turns over so frequently that within a year and a half (2 product cycles) they aren't worth very much on the used market.

I am confused. Do you own a denon? If so I highly recomend using the preouts on the denon and using it as a preamp.Then adding a rotel or similiar good amplifier like b&k, sherbourn, acurus, adcom, audiosource amp two (very good for the money new). This will be your least cost effective way to better sound in my opinion if you buy the amp used that is, or new probally. You can always start out with just a two channel and then add on if necessary.

I own a 3805 and have recently used the Denon mic and auto EQ. The changes were -5 to +7db depending on frequency...many under 3 in either direction.

I assume this helps adjust for room conditions and I read is a very popular feature of the AVR. I seem to like the improvement but I can't say I've done enough tests to really know the delta.

I do like the PURE DIRECT sound wich bypasses the video circuits.

Above 80db in my room the sound can be bright...very detailed focus on the treble which can be impressive at first but tiring with time. I'm not sure if this is my room (Very possible), speakers or receiver. In general I would agree with most on this thread that Denon is more in the middle with Rotel and H/K being warmer.

To contrast with a warm sound I heard DynAudio Contours with Rotel gear. This is much more of a back presentation that makes you reach for the volume knob at 80db and want to crank it up much more.

I think the 3805 would be a good pre/pro with MC amp. You could then swap the 3805 for a pre-pro later.

The Rotel gear is cool looking, great sounding and a solid value. Their CD player got a great review in TAS. If I wasn't planning on upgrading to a specific set of component I would probably consider the Rotel stack...although the Denon and new ELITE of the same price range have more features.

For 2-channel I really like their 2-channel amp and CD player which can be found on Audigon $500 each.

Now probably isn't the ideal time to buy a pre/pro with HDMI switching and digital HighRez I/O emerging. Anthem may have some future proofing though. Of course there's the digital amps in speakers with digital xovers and DSP....you can't wait forever and probably don't want to spend the big bucks the full digital Meridian system costs :)