which brand of cable

Masterjwu

hi guys,

i am new here and need some of your ideas.

After a long time research, i've decided to purchase RF5(2), RC35, RS-35(4), and RSW10 for my HT and a Denon 3805 to power up.

My question is which brand/model of cable is the best to match these equipment. my budget is $200.

thanks,

masterjwu2.gif

Congratulations on your decision. You will not be disappointed with your purchase.

Don't worry too much about the cables - good quality interconnects cost a lot less than your budget. I make all of my own cables now, but if I were buying, I'd go with Acoustic Research Pro II or Acoustic Research Master all around, for both speaker wire as well as interconnects. These can be had for really good price at accessories4less.com

http://www.accessories4less.com/Amazing/items.asp?CartId=9856348E-EVEREST-VKJN722&Cc=CAB&tpc=

If you don't want to do anything yourself you can purchase terminated speaker wire there, as well as interconnects.

http://www.accessories4less.com/Amazing/items.asp?CartId=9856348E-EVEREST-VKJN722&Cc=CAB%2DSTER&tpc=

In general though, you're safe with any decent 12-gauge copper wire for your speakers, and any shielded twisted-pair interconnects and digital cables. Don't be swayed by big words that expensive cable manufacturers throw out. If such a thing as 'long crystal copper' actually exists, it is certainly of such little difference electrically from other copper that you won't be able to hear the difference. The only things that matter are the shielding, and the quality of the soldered/crimped connections. So as long as you buy a well-made cable you're fine.

uh, 50% of us will say just get good quality 16 ga zip cord from any hardware store. There is nothing magic about electrical impulses traveling along a copper wire. Save your $$ for CD's and DVD's. just my .02. Others will disagree, they have little green circles around their CD's to keep the light from getting out.

Everyone's gonna kill me for this, but there is an unspoken and general "rule" that your interconnects should be roughly 10% of your budget. I use Monster Cable, among several others, but Monster is widely acknowledged that they're overpriced. That said, they're still excellent. Better Cables ( www.bettercables.com ) and bluejeans cables ( www.bluejeanscables.com )are good too.

10% so if a person were to buy a set of K-horns, A Belle Klipsch Center, and two sets of Heresy II's for surrounds, a good SS HT Receiver or separates, A decent DVD player with DVD A and SACD capability and a reasonable wide screen HDTV for about say $16-$19000 retail you recommend $1900 on cables?!?!?!?!?!?

----------------

On 9/14/2004 6:32:55 PM J.4knee wrote:

10% so if a person were to buy a set of K-horns, A Belle Klipsch Center, and two sets of Heresy II's for surrounds, a good SS HT Receiver or separates, A decent DVD player with DVD A and SACD capability and a reasonable wide screen HDTV for about say $16-$19000 retail you recommend $1900 on cables?!?!?!?!?!?

----------------

At the minimum, if you have 19000 in your home stereo, you will have probobly went through 4000 in cables before you have found the ones that work. I have 2,000 in cables, and have about 13000 in stereo and 6500 in a tv.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 4:51:36 PM radiob wrote:

----------------

On 9/14/2004 6:32:55 PM J.4knee wrote:

----------------

At the minimum, if you have 19000 in your home stereo, you will have probobly went through 4000 in cables before you have found the ones that work. I have 2,000 in cables, and have about 13000 in stereo and 6500 in a tv.

----------------

Yup, and ain't that the truth. If I've spent $1300 on a JUST a DVD player, $10,000 on a preamp/amp combo, and thousands more on the speakers alone (all of which I have), I'd want a good quality, well constructed digital coaxial cable that ran at least $100-$200. Is it pragmatic? Heck no, but you wouldn't bring a Ferrari Enzo to Jiffy Lube either. I've spent about $5000 in cabling alone.

And if you really wanna go nuts, hows about these beauties? Only $11,800 for a 5m pair!

http://www.stereotimes.com/cables062301.shtm

----------------

On 9/15/2004 7:22:29 PM nicholtl wrote:

Yup, and ain't that the truth. A good quality, well constructed digital coaxial cable will run at least $100-$200. I've spent about $5000 in cabling alone.

And if you really wanna go nuts, hows about these beauties? Only $11,800 for a 5m pair!

----------------

Ouch! Have you been into acoustical treatments yet?

Expensive cables and interconnects are usually a waste of money. The advice to go with plain 12 ga. copper speaker wire is good advice. It is better than 16 ga. due to the impedance dips exhibited by many speakers. As the impedance goes lower, the larger ga. copper speaker wire makes it easier for an amp to supply the needed current.

The one interconnect that benefits the most from better quality is a component video cable. The bandwidth that must be transmitted is measured in megahertz. Hence, up to a point, better cables will give a better picture.

Bill

You could always look in the classifieds for a used pair for cheap. Save alot that way and have quality speaker wire. I bought some Kimber Kable 4pr for around 20 something I think for two 9 foot strands with Tribrutary(however you spell that brand) banana plugs. Excellent deal. audiogon.com has got people upgrading wires all the time and selling the entry level goods at real cheap prices, and that's about were you want to stop before it gets insane. But I think it's more important to have a quality banana plug on the end more than anything. A nice solid clean connection.

Kimbercable is sweet, using 8TC for my Heritage speakers(HT), but in all honesty nothing wrong with Monster, to bright for my existing system, but saw a couple of pics from the original quest to Klipsch(Hope, AR)and PWK(RIP)was running a pair of Khorns off of regular Monstercable and the powerhouse was Adcom in 2 channel mode, says alot for "basics" and North American made...used it myself, Khorns(93), Adcom GFA-585LE, and Monstercable...9.gif

sounded mighty fine to me at the time...10.gif

• 2 weeks later...