Look at my new toy !

NOSValves

Sunny,

I have no clue how it sounds I bought it from my webmaster ear unheard !Its not here yet. The 6336 is like any other power tube it maybe designed with a certain application in mind but that doesn't mean its not completely suitable for a wide array of uses. Check this data sheet it even has characteristics for a class A amplifier.

http://www.pmillett.addr.com/tubedata/HB-3/Receiving-Type%20Industrial%20Tubes/6336-A.PDF

Craig

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radio,

Bit smaller (only 200 wpc and cheaper (just over a couple of thousand $$) than the Manley:

Electra_02.jpg

You can see the details at http://www.tsakiridis-devices.com/Electra.htm

Course for the money you could pick up 2 pairs and have 400 wpc. I know that drives B&W 801's with aplomb.

(Just as a side note - if you are not in a hurry there is a new version of this amp in the works that is all tube rectified and will look rather better. Price, sadly, will be higher accordingly - but still way the right side of the Manleys)

Just pushing my favorite manufacturer - again!!

Craig:

You did catch the key-word in the description of your amps, didn't you?2.gif

Looks very interesting! Please try it full-range, too. It's midrange response may very well be superior to that of the Dynaco.

Erik

edit: Its seems John did quite a bit of experimenting with the amp and interstage coupling capacitors. 4uf might be exactly right for the amp, and I'll bet it has plenty of bass response. Based on a couple of factors, possibly including the input impedance of the output stage, you might experiment with something a little smaller -- actually, something quite a bit smaller than 4uf -- especially because you are planning to use is for tweeter duty. Again, Craig, I have no idea of the design beyond the description, but you might get cleaner midrange and tweeter response with a lower value coupling capacitor. By comparison, both my Moondogs and modified Horus use .1uf caps, and they sound clean and crisp, and without excessive bass response roll-off. Did he send you a schematic?

"However none have listened to the Neo-Cassic 250s."

Typical.

Those amps were designed for the very application you are utilizing them for.

Once you get hooked on the sound of tube gear, it's hard to go back to solid state. Those who prefer the sound of solid state over tubes have the same problem -- they like what they like, and just don't have any interest in going with tubes.

To get the most out of the advice we get, we have to learn how to eat the meat and spit out the bones. No one can presume, or perfectly predict what will work the best, or what you will enjoy the most.

----------------

On 9/9/2004 7:46:07 PM radiob wrote:

Craig, I am catching heat over in the VMPS forum on my Manley 250 choice. You have read the specs of my speakers and the Manleys, have you read the specs on the Ampzilla monoblocks? They are the same price as the Tubed Manleys but are SS. The veteran forum members are saying the son of ampzilla and ampzillas are far superior in dynamics, soundstage,and control over the Manley stuff. However none have listened to the Neo-Cassic 250s. Any help?
----------------

I wouldn't even give those people a thought. Nothing burns me up more then people talking about gear they have never personally heard. I bet the Manley amps do a fine job with your VMPS speakers. Just for giggles you should also try them on your klipsch I bet they chase you out of the room LOL !!

Craig

----------------

On 9/9/2004 4:45:36 PM NOSValves wrote:

I truly tweaked this amp for years. I believe it can be

made to sound worse, but probably not better. It excels at natural fleshtones

and is an ideal foil to "mechanical sound".

John Day----------------

I bet that you won't be able to resist the urge to tweak it some more.2.gif

Say, what is this about natural fleshtones, anyway? Is there a TV in this amp too?

Mmmmmm....caps!

I'll bet 1000 korean won that if Black Gate made a cap the value of that Sprague leviathan, NOSValves would mortgage his house to stick it in there! Bye-bye blue!

Love the V-twin/old school look of this beast! Would look great on a custom chassis for my Dynas!

One of audio's greatest contradictions seems to be that flea powered amps are built on elephant chassis'!

Its more of a bang for the buck issue I'm sure there great filter caps but all you have to do is cut them apart and compare them to caps costing 1/10th there price and you will instantly see its a out right ripp off no obvious constrution difference what so ever. Good old black magic. I just can not justify the mark up and will not support manufacturers that are so obviously limiting supply to elevate prices.

So where is my 92 cents 2.gif

Craig

Yeesh Craig, you're starting to sound like AL and Bob.

You might have cut one open, but I guess you missed the graphite. The BGs are really different than everyday aluminum electrolytics.

Figure 1: Existing Electrolytic Capacitor StructureFigure 2: Black Gate Structure

"The quality of a capacitor depends on whether that of a dielectric is good or not. Electrolytic capacitors using an aluminum oxide, the best dielectric on earth, therefore, has to be ranked at the top of the capacitors."

"Existing electrolytic capacitors, however, hold serious inherent defects: There is no practical way to make a conductive connection between a true cathode on the surface of an aluminum oxide dielectric layer and an external cathode. A separator, therefore, is required to act as an intermediary between the two cathodes, and signals with electrons transfer riding on ions in an electrolyte that impregnates the separator."

"While signals pass the electrolyte in the separator that has a thickness of 20,000 times wider than the dielectric layer, some of the signal information is lost, and distortion is radiated due to the slowness of ions and non-linearity. The signal quality deteriorates sharply, and the total performance of the capacitor declines a great deal."

cerafine was the other fabluous cap which used construction different from the norm, since cerafines are no longer produced and blackgate will soon cease production I guess the point is moot, we will only have the 1/10th price units to utilize in the future...tony

Dean,

So your saying that this wonder graphite is worth 10 times the amount of other capacitors. Dean wake up and quit falling for the "Black Magic" I never said they were not better capacitors I did say there not worth the ridicules price they charge for them.

I have some questions for you

1)how many blackgates are you listen to in your setup right now ?

2)how does it sound ?

3)In your amps alone blackgates would most likely set you back 600 to 800 bucks so when are you ordering them ?

4)Do you believe every manufacturers claims of superiority as the Gospel ? The diagram above is nothing but Blackgates advertising that does not make it the truth.

Craig

PS your starting to sound like KH !! 9.gif6.gif2.gif

strangly enough there was a thread about the demise of blackgate over at AA.

Guys like Martin Colloms, Gordon Rankin and Peter Qvortrup all singing the praises of the BG caps and also talking about how they measure better than anything else (all over my head). Frankly I have never heard any amp builder who has tried BG caps say they were anything but the best. I wish I could have afforded them for my amp...

tony