Look at my new toy !

NOSValves

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the value of thess caps should be subjective.

For me, They're worth every penny. I've had $300 worth of BG caps in a $1k VTL preamp and the improvement was huge. Better deffinition, faster and tighter bass. The improvement (again, subjective) was bigger than a $300 worth of NOS tubes made in the same preamp (before replacing the standard electrolythics). The biggest drawbacks are: their high cost, very long break-in period and the shift in sound during the break-in.

I do have them in my Loesch preamp's, power supply and again they made an improvement.

----------------

On 9/10/2004 4:43:28 PM Erik Mandaville wrote:

c'mon, Craig!
1.gif
What's the key word to the kind of amplifier this is?! It's in the description.
2.gif
----------------

Erik,

Sounds more like a PP design to me. How/Why does one buy a "SET" amp with "negative feedback"? Very interesting to say the least.

Different strokes for different folks!

Klipsch out.

Eric,

I don't need to guess I know its not conventional SET and is exactly why I bought it. I have now heard a number of conventional SET amps as you call them and I personally do not care for them. I hope this indeed is different.

Feedback is not a bad thing !

Craig

----------------

On 9/10/2004 5:43:54 PM Guy Landau wrote:

I think that the value of thess caps should be subjective.

For me, They're worth every penny. I've had $300 worth of BG caps in a $1k VTL preamp and the improvement was huge. Better deffinition, faster and tighter bass. The improvement (again, subjective) was bigger than a $300 worth of NOS tubes made in the same preamp (before replacing the standard electrolythics). The biggest drawbacks are: their high cost, very long break-in period and the shift in sound during the break-in.

I do have them in my Loesch preamp's, power supply and again they made an improvement.----------------

Guy,

The value of these caps is subjective and in my subjective opinion they are a ripp off. Whether you think there worth the money or not is your business just like any customer of mine that may want them I have no problem using them but IMHO they are a ripp off.

Craig

Craig -- you said you cut some open and compared them to aluminum electrolytics, and said they were the same. I was only pointing out that they couldn't be exactly the same. Construction is quite different, as Rick noticed and pointed out. I never said they were better, or that the claims were legit -- only that they were built weird and had broken up pieces of pencil in them.:) Now, as far as specifications go -- they have no equal (electrolytics). I have no idea whether they make the sound better or not, though there sure are a lot of folks who say they do. At any rate, I don't think it would cost $800 to replace my power supply caps with the BGs. You're not daring me are you?9.gif

Edmond -- though it's not the norm these days to implement feedback in SET amps to lower distortion, it's not completely unheard of either -- I believe the $75,000 Tenors have more feedback than my QUADs.

----------------

On 9/10/2004 7:49:39 PM Guy Landau wrote:

What exactly makes them more ripp off than Auricaps or Hovlands for example? When comparing same value Auricap to 716P Orange Drop (the expensive one
9.gif"
) the ratio is 10:1.

Where does the big difference come from?
----------------

There a ripp off also !! The company owners are lining there pockets with the black magic money. Auricap would be the worst offender they raised there prices this year to near Hovlands film and foil prices for a metalized cap I quit buying them right then and there. At least the Hovlands are indeed a more expensive design to produce. The absolute worst offender in the coupling cap business is Jensen PIO's oldest out dated technology reaping in the most bucks doesn't take much common sense to realize the black magic pricing structure. ONCE AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING THESE PRODUCTS ARE OF BAD QUALITY !! I'm saying there not a value or worth the prices they charge. I bet a dime to a dollar the mark up on Blackgates is near tenfold if not more. I have a funny thing about me I like to feel something when I get screwed.

Craig

Eirc,

I just wrote a long reply to your magic word question and this darn forum crashed Grrrrrrrrrr

The short of it

parafeed chokes

grid choke on a permalloy core to allow sourcing of positive grid current on peaks

little local negative feedback

In a way this is a dual mono design since the channels PS are all isolated via the chokes throughout.

And on and on

I just hope the amp sound completely different then the many SET amps I have heard to date.

Craig

The amp is coming from me. The builder is a very good friend of mine and kind of my DIY tube mentor. I built my 2A3 SET using a design I got from John. The man is phenominal when it comes to audio.

As for the "Iron Giant", it is a sweet amp. Not only do you get that velvet SET tube sound, but with some guts. It has a strong bottom end and still mantains very good imaging. I believe in the amp enough to not have any problems selling it to a friend. That and he got a KILLER deal on it. He paid less than the cost of the iron alone.

Enjoy Craig, I know you will be impressed. You should try pushing your La Scala's with it. I think you will be amazed. SET's and horns were made for each other.