1 rear or 2 rears?

malechi

I bought the Denon AVR-2105 surround receiver and I already have speakers for a 5.1 setup so I need rear speakers. Should I get 1 rear center or 2 surround rears? The AVR-2105 specs are 7.1 A/V Receiver with Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx & DTS ES Discrete 6.1

Yeah, like the other's have described, 2 rears will give you more of an enveloping effect than 1 will. Besides, if your receiver can handle 7.1, you'd might as well take full advantage, right? I say get the RB-35's for your fronts and move your RB-25's to the rear, since you already have a 3-series center. I assume you're moving the Bose 6.gif to do center surround duty?

How's this...

RB-25 Front

RC-3 Center

RS-25 Surround

RB-15 Surround Back

The RB-25 in the back appear to be to big to be placed in the upper corners so I will not move up to the RB-35's in the front. The RB-15's look like a good fit.

I'm buying my Outlaw Audio LFM-1 on Wednesday!

Just as a FYI, and someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX both have mono rear. Better said, both rear left and rear right play the exact same signal.

Not trying to steer you away from it, but just letting you know in the event you were unaware. 1.gif

Yup, Moon's right. The only 3 reasons, IMO, to get 2 rear surrounds as opposed to 1, assuming money is not tight, are:

1) If you have a larger living area, you can create a more expansive sound field.

2) Even if you don't have a larger living area, you may one day...

3) Coolness factor aka bragging rights to say you have 7.1.

help me out Moon, hopefully there are some of the 5.1, 6.1, etc mixes that have discreet l/r rear channel mixes. That is one of the main reasons I upgraded from RXV850 to RXV2400. Are there many movies that have the DTS and Digital that you mentioned only?

for general info, is there a sound format that seems to be a new 'standard' or that is found most frequently? Are the producers giving us info on all the mixes on the outside of the box? I'd hate to spend $20-30 on a movie only to get a substandard, if you will, sound mix. Remember buying a remastered version of Kubric's The Shining and there was only a MONO mix, apparently as Mr. Kubric originally intended for some bizarre reason. Imagine Jack Nicholson's son in the movie, racing through the hotel on his Big Wheel, low camera angle, hardwood, rug,hardwood,rug, how great that could have sounded!

I guess I take photos in black and white that some folks would rather see in color, we call that 'artistic integrity' whatever that means! LOL

Michael

Regarding the "discrete" rear channels. There is currently no discrete back left and right material. (I.e. even for a true 6.1 discrete mix DTS ES, the 2 back channels are the same). DD EX applies a matrixed mix (of the side surrounds) for the rear surrounds (be them a sinlge (6.1) or dual (7.1) setup). Dolby Prologic IIx also provides the ability to offer a matrixed rear channel(s).

My listening room is small, say 18 x 16. I have had 7.1 when I had a Denon and Onkyo. I know have a Yamaha in 6.1 and in my small space I have not missed a beat so to speak.

I would like to have 7.1 but I will not loose sleep over the extra $500 for another RS-7 and cable even if my Yamy offered it.

"Regarding the "discrete" rear channels. There is currently no discrete back left and right material. (I.e. even for a true 6.1 discrete mix DTS ES, the 2 back channels are the same). DD EX applies a matrixed mix (of the side surrounds) for the rear surrounds (be them a sinlge (6.1) or dual (7.1) setup). Dolby Prologic IIx also provides the ability to offer a matrixed rear channel(s)."

Now I'm REALLY confused. When you say rear channels, are you meaning the CENTER rear? SO that in 6.1 you get discrete 'side' rear channels, but 1 or 2 (matrixed) 'center' rear channels? I guess that way if a distinctly rear sound went across the back soundstage it would be discretely left, then matrixed mono center, then discretely right. Does this make sense.

If my RXV2400 DOLBY DIGITAL receiver has all mono matrixed rear (or side?-I find this term confusing) channels, I'm taking it back cause it's no better than dolby pro-logic.