poor quality grills on RF-5/RF-7

unimorpheus

I just recently recieved a pair of RF-5s in maple only to find one of the front grills broken in half out of the box. Klipsch was very good about replacing the grill, even sent the new one out FedEX. But the grills on the 5s/7s just seem so flimsy. My local dealer said Klipsch has been aware of the problem for some time. I still don't understand what the lower modle RFs have better grill attatchment systems than the top line 5s and 7s? Anyone know? Also can the 5s/7s be retrofitted to the new style?

The original RF-3, and later the updated RF-3II, both had the grills of the RF-5 and RF-7. Only the latest RF-15, 25, and 35 versions have the sexy flushed magnet design. I guess if Klipsch ever made an RF-55 or RF-75, then they too would feature those types of grills. But until then...yeah man...just gotta live with it.

I am tired of the RF-7 and RF-3 grills getting bashed all the time for being "cheap" or of low quality and also "plastic feet" as being cheap and low quality. Anybody ever flown on a jetliner and looked around at all the plastic parts that make it up? I admit the Achilles' Heel of the RF-7 and like grills are the plastic posts that push into the receptors on the front of the speaker but even this is not a problem if people would not unevenly tear the grills off instead of evenly pulling them forward. The RF-7 grills have stronger, thicker mesh than the RB-75 (which I own) and are much stronger than KLF-30's or the Heritage model grills (which I also own many pairs)-example the RF-7 has thick plastic ribbing covering the woofers whereas the Heritage and others have nothing but speaker cloth or thatched material covering the drivers. The RF-7 grill could take quite a frontal assault before something could penetrate through to the drivers. Short of having a metal grill like some of the Klipsch Professional models the RF-7's and 5's have some of the best quality grills of ANY speaker brand. I am sure somebody will argue with this statement but I stand by this assertion.

I agree with RFK. THe movers damaged 2 of the pegs on my grills, but I could really care less (they paid the $55 replacement cost which I pocketed). The plastic mesh is worth its weight in gold if you have kids, or something gets pushed infront of them. I've pressed on this and it would take a lot of force to do damage. I want the grill to protect the speaker. I will replace it if a couple more pegs fall off, but this likely won't happen until the next move. By that time the grill will have saved those copper woofers a multitude of time. If you really hate the feet, you could stick Velcro on it...That's all my Heresy's have, and I think that works fine as well.

I too agree with RFK. As long as you're careful, you'll never break one of the posts.

One of my posts broke when one of my goofy friends yanked on it from the top, so you

also have to keep your goofy friends away from them. I also think the RF-5/RF-7 grilles

look cooler too. The stand off design adds some style that the newer magnetic ones lack.

Micheal Hurd: Thanks for the tip. Where can I find some of this Fusor Extreme adhesive??

You can obtain the fusor adhesive at a body shop supply house. 3m makes similar products, but I have never used them. You need a special applicator gun to dipense the product, many auto body supply places here rent them. I own my own, which is $ 100 cdn to buy. Expect to pay $ 25 cdn / $18 u.s. for the adhesive and 2 mixing nozzles.

Sorry...don't buy the argument of the grille. While the front of the grills are substantial, the pegs are cheap. Too cheap for speakers in that price range. Besides if they were no problem then why did Klipsch change the design.

Obviously I love the Klipsch product, but that was indeed the weakest point to the reference speaker line.

People may be tired of hearing it but I'm tired of thinking about the cost of replacement.

Michael Hurd, thanks for the great tip(s)!!!

----------------

On 9/24/2004 12:01:35 AM michael hurd wrote:

You can obtain the fusor adhesive at a body shop supply house. 3m makes similar products, but I have never used them. You need a special applicator gun to dipense the product, many auto body supply places here rent them. I own my own, which is $ 100 cdn to buy. Expect to pay $ 25 cdn / $18 u.s. for the adhesive and 2 mixing nozzles.

----------------

Rather than spending that much money and running around town I think I'd personally just buy some 5 minute epoxy and call it a day. I'm a fan of overkill in general but not when it becomes more trouble than it's worth. Just my $.02 12.gif

Well I never take them off for anyone. I'm not worried in the least with impressing someone. I like the grilles on to protect the drivers.

I have broken two covers by simply moving the speakers. An RF-7 isn't like it's a small subtle item that can be maneuvered easily. Heck I've broken a cover to an RF-3II. Never broke the grille on my similarly sized KLF-20's that I have moved all over the place.

----------------

On 9/24/2004 9:26:06 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

well if you'd quit yanking em off to show off the pretty metal woofers, they wouldn't break, would they? I doubt that the pins snap off during normal use.

----------------

Easy, please! (kinda harsh, don't you think?) I have a broken grill pin on one of my RF-7s and on my RSW-15. I have never removed the grills since they were first installed during set-up. My grill pins broke from people accidentally bumping into them. It happens and it doesn't take much to break them. Thanks to Mike for telling me how to fix them while he was here visiting last May.

I have about 5 broken pegs on my RF-7's now and I only broke one taking the grills off. The remainder were broke by people (children) leaning or bumping into the speakers, and two of the bottom ones were broken by a light bump during vacuuming.

The grill posts are too weak and Klipsch has admitted this. That is why they changed grill designs with the new line of reference speakers.

-PB

I think at the very least they should offer replacement grills for those who have RF series speakers with the broken pegs (subpar manufactured grills). Perhaps a nice upgrade kit with a new type grill with magnetic inserts that would neatly fit securely into the current peg holes would be in order.

Frzninvt: Sub-par grills? Come on, get over it, they are not that bad at all. Maybe you could ask for some perforated metal grilles for your k-horns incase some drunk biker wants to take out a knife and slash them. You continually bash the reference series speakers for no apparent reason.

While that seems harsh, face reality: stuff happens. No product is 100% infallable, they are produced by humans. While I think that the grills could have a different attachment system, they did a darn good job meeting the price points.